1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Marketing Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by usasportstraining, Mar 20, 2008.

1. toytown

toytown Peon

Best Answers:
    I am trying to learn ways to get Collectors Web really off the ground. It is a free online auction site.

http://www.collectorsweb.net/

Thank You.

toytown, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  2. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You may want to change "WANTED ADS" to either WANT ADS or CLASSIFIEDS. It is a very professional looking site. Good job!

• As an auction/ecommerce site, it's important to instill confidence in the visitor. Have testimonials, secure logo, etc.
    • There are probably tons of blogs and other sites to partner with and get backlinks.
    • If you are active on Ebay and the like, you could send a thank you note along with your product when someone buys. Include your site url in it.
    • This is a chicken vs. the egg scenario (which comes first?). You need sellers to get buyers and you need buyers to have sellers. Give away free buying/selling for a while to generate incentive to join. Once you have many people, then end the free program for one or the other.
    • Take an active part in StumbleUpon and other social bookmarking sites. Join the groups for collectibles.
    • Contact actual storefront collectables stores and see if they'd like to sell via their site. Sort of like Ebay does with their 'storefront' things. Offer them a good incentive for being of the first stores to join.
    • Maybe have a 'blog' or editorial section and have featured writers. I'm sure there's some well-known collectors that may be willing to write something for you.
    • Maybe have an unofficial appraisal, like the "Antique Roadshow" of various collectibles.
    • People love to hear about collectors that have found a great deal somewhere (flea markets or estate sales, etc). You could write about that.
    • Distribute an RSS feed of your available products. Collection sites may be willing to display it. The link points back to you for some good referrals.
    • Have an opt-in newsletter about collecting, special discounts, etc. This keeps your site in the back of people's mind.
    • Advertise, advertise, advertise to get some people going. Cut back as you begin to make money and have a steady flow of customers.
    • Do Press Releases.
    • Possibly create a feed, like Ebay, for people to display your products on their site in their own stores. This may be good far down the road when your site becomes popular.

*If I think of more, I'll add it.

Nice site!

You're very welcome!

Spread the love! :)

------------------

I'm off for the rest of the day. Go ahead and post your questions and I'll answer later.

usasportstraining, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, this site is a little different from the previous sites that you have reviewed and your offer is very timely for me. I would like to figure out a way to further promote my standard Ethernet cables (copper) and my fiber optic cables to businesses (B2B selling). My home page is:

http://www.netcablesplus.com

and my fiber landing page for PPC is:

http://www.netcablesplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=4

Note that I am not looking for onesie-twosie buyers (B2C) for my cables. I have enough of that crap with eBay and Amazon selling. I really want to increase my corporate buyers. Thanks for the offer!

JRBIZ

jrbiz, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  4. Blackanese

Blackanese Peon

Best Answers:
    im just trying to market my site turndownmag.flixya.com
    its just a site where i post videos and write blogs on each video...every video will on a random topic

Blackanese, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  5. lowridertj

lowridertj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Online multiplayer text based mafia game.
    Example: www.hcmafia.com

Let me know what you think

lowridertj, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  6. shadyfellow

shadyfellow Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey buddy do you have any suggestions for marketing http://www.freewaregames.net it has done pretty well so far and currently gets around 12k u/v a day. Do you have any suggestions on marketing tactics that would be a good use of my time, I don't know if writing articles or forum posting is worth it since I'm already receiving pretty good traffic. I would like to take it to the next level and need some direction. Thanks in advance

shadyfellow, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  7. TheDailyBytes.com

TheDailyBytes.com Peon

Best Answers:
    We have a brand new site (less than 1 week old) www.thedailybytes.com

We are trying to get the word out and increase traffic without spending money. Check it out, see what you think. I appreciate any advice/feedback.

-Will

TheDailyBytes.com, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  8. toytown

toytown Peon

Best Answers:
    hi dfailybytes, I reccomend Joomla for a site like yours, easy to use and there are templates out there..

Check out ejoomla.net

whats nice about joomla is you can edit your site anywhere you go.

toytown, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  9. TheDailyBytes.com

TheDailyBytes.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I will check it out. Thanks!

TheDailyBytes.com, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  10. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yours is definitely a professional site. Full of cable goodies. Very nice!

An SEO suggestion:
    Your product detail pages are not as search engine friendly could/should be, in my opinion. Search engines do not crawl dynamic urls well (although it is improving).

For example ( Cat 6 In Line Cable Coupler): http://www.netcablesplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=54

would be much better if it looked like:

http://www.netcablesplus.com/Cable-Coupler-Cat-6/Cat-6-In-Line-Cable-Coupler.html
    Code (markup):
    I would highly suggest paying/having someone do url rewrites on the product pages, etc. This would help with the crawling of your site. Your page titles look good. This page title would be "Cat 6 In Line Cable Coupler - COUPLER", which is good SEO.

One thing I would make sure to do is contact every manufacturer and see if you could get a backlink from them, which may have already done. This will be very good linkbuilding.

On to your marketing question:

• If you want to sell to other businesses in bulk, then you'll want to make sure it's obvious on your main page. As you form contracts with your large buyers, put their logo or name on your main page. A scrolling list of large customers would help other businesses decide to buy from you. A testimonials page from these companies may help also.
    • In addition, have a "Large Customers", "Corporate Orders, or "Bulk Orders" link showing the kind of discounts that they could expect to see. Make it easy for them to consider ordering.
    • Something like; "Serving You Business Needs" could be good too.
    • When I think of a company that services businesses mostly, I think of Uline (the packaging/shipping supplies company). When you look at how they list the items they show bulk order discounts. They sell in fairly large quantities. It's obvious that they sell to businesses.
    • When I look at how things are listed and when I look at the main page, it seems like your customers are the little guys. I see nothing that makes me think, "could this site service my business needs?". So, show the bulk orders discounts. Most of the items are ordered by the "onesie-twosies", as you cleverly put it. As the saying goes, "if you want to be a millionaire, you must think like a millionaire". In other words, don't sell exclusively by the small increments only, also include the bulk info.
    • I'm sure the rest would be done by your sales force, inside and outside, if you have one. It will probably require a bit of cold calling to start to get the ball really rolling.

usasportstraining, Mar 20, 2008 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, great comments and much appreciated! I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for some detailed and insightful comments.

jrbiz, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  12. FunWhenBored

FunWhenBored Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice of you to help! :)

How could you market a...

- Funny site/myspace resource site
    - Online flash games site
    - Icon site (myspace icons, forum avtars, msn avatars ect)

Thanks in advance.

FunWhenBored, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  13. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:

That's a lot of unique views per day. Very nice! Great, clean site!

• It's always good to post in forums with your sig because you can always afford more visitors, but you're right that you'll have to decide if it's worth your time.
    • Are your games listed on downloads.com? If not, you could generate a lot of visitors from there, as they go to your site to download and get directions/cheats.
    • You could take part in StumbleUpon, but be careful what and how often you stumble your site. Take part in related groups, gaming, freeware, etc.
    • I imagine much of your traffic comes from being well placed in the SERPs. Great URL!
    • I suppose you could try advertising a bit and see if you notice a jump in traffic. It may not be worth it.

• Take a look at my above post about a news site.
    • An RSS feed may work in your case.
    • You do have some hefty competition, but a nice url/site name. It could be a tough ranking well in the SERPs.
    • Maybe focusing on a niche, such as strange weird news could set you apart.

Please only include one at a time.

I'll pick the icon site, since nobody has asked about this type yet.

Take a good look at http://www.muglo.com/ - It's very new and quite well done. He has designed some fantastic linkbait that will grow links naturally as people use his smiley faces.

You could do something along these same lines. Providing backlinks with each use of your avatars, etc. A lot of bandwidth usage though.

• By taking an active role in MySpace, forums, etc, you can advertise your best stuff naturally. As people notice and ask, you can mention it (in your forum sigs too).
    • Have a really nicely designed and easy to use site, especially the main page. Then make it available on StumbleUpon, Digg, and other social bookmarking sites. Don't spam though, or you'll ruin it for yourself.
    • Do some advertising via Adwords to get things going.
    • If you're already good with graphics, start designing really good forum, Drupal, Joomla, MySpace, and WordPress themes, then have your link in the footer.

usasportstraining, Mar 21, 2008 IP
    lowridertj likes this.
  14. lowridertj

lowridertj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks most those I do already but thank you and greatly appreciated.

TJ

lowridertj, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  15. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No problem. :) Sounds like a fun game.

I've found Wikipedia to be a good way of getting referrals.

usasportstraining, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  16. FunWhenBored

FunWhenBored Peon

Best Answers:

• Thanks so much for your input! I'll definitely try out your suggestions.
      + rep

FunWhenBored, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  17. dshinckley

dshinckley Peon

Best Answers:
    I need some help.
    I'm a 16 year old kid. Very business oriented.
    I have a job that pays about $80 a work day and my goal is to use my websites to earn an extra $80 daily which would put me at $160 a day.
    I own the following websites:
    Watch Website (Amazon Affiliate) = $2/month
    Travel Store Website (Affiliate) = $0/month
    Ringtones Website (Affiliate) = $40/month
    Traffic Exchange - $120/month

So really I'm making about $5 daily from my websites and my goal is to turn it into $80 daily.
    I know the Ringtones site has the most potential, but clearly I'm not marketing it well enough to reach that potential.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts.

dshinckley, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  18. toytown

toytown Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats Great Advice, Thank You.

toytown, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  19. Inersha

Inersha Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is such a great thread, you're doing an awesome job.

I've recently started a poker affiliate site (sig), teaching people how to make money by promoting online poker. My site is new and I'm sure it has just hit the sandbox. However, I'm still continuing to build and develop my site in preperation for when I leave the sandbox and start ranking well.

What actions can I take to start bringing in some traffic and possible start making money, even though I won't be getting much search engine traffic?

Inersha, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  20. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a dating site for athletes can you give me any tips on how I should market this?

kingofsanda, Mar 21, 2008 IP