1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.ASIA domain auction process smells fraud -- help

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by link_dev, Mar 18, 2008.

I put in my application for two domains.
    One was quietly rejected without informing me and the other application status didn't change as of today.

1) www.blogs.asia : I was writing emails for sometime to their support. Their support team just started replying and to my horror found that this domain was reserved by th registry for community purposes. That is why my application was rejected and they are sorry for not sending me an email.
    When i countered they said that this domain was re-opened since then and i can enter into auction and the going rate is north of $1000.

Below is their response
    "blogs.asia was nominated as a Community Reserved Name and wasn't
    available for registration at the time of submission. As a result, the
    application was declined and payment wasn't taken. It has since become
    available but you would be looking at paying well over a thousand dollars to
    win the auction to gain access to the domain.

Please contact us with any further queries.

Regards,

Francis King
    Instra Customer Support
    "

2) http://www.south.asia
    After days of requesting the status they said i will be informed after march 18. However, even as of today their support responds and says that this domain received more than one application and i will be invited for auction.
    Following is their response
    "In regards to your email, you should hear confirmation after the 18 of
    March
    about your applications. We have not received any emails confirming
    landrush
    as yet from dotAsia. With names being unavailable our site is not
    always up
    to date as names are being taken everyday through the sunrise period.

The dotAsia whois site to check availability is:

http://www.registry.asia/cgi-bin/whois.cgi

We have received more than one application for south.asia during this
    landrush Phase, you will be invited to participate in an auction
    Best Regards,
    Jessica Beall
    "

How do we know for real that there are really more than one application for a particular domain name?
    Who guarantees that there is no fraud?
    Where can we register complaints regarding their lapses in case of www.blogs.asia
    They didn't inform me, when they re-opened this domain. However, they are ready to invite me for an auction. How is this possible, when i didn't re-apply for this domain and landrush application deadline is closed.
    Thanks
    link dev

link_dev, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  2. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dot asia is one heck of a scam. god knows who bidding there and whats happening. They reserved all premium and some non-premium names for auction. if they want to hold auctions why did they even bother to advertise their crap and arrange parties. host one auction and get over it.

.asia foundation just want to make money from day 1. its a waste of time. get over it

godmode, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  3. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly what godmode said. Some registrars also made money on accepting more than one application for the same domain...

It was just a bunch of BULLSH!T from the beginning. As for blogs.asia... I'm sure more than 1 person placed an order for that...

Fka200, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  4. johan-cr

johan-cr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Has anyone participated in the early auctions? Was it possible then to see who that was bidding?

johan-cr, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  5. ktomas1

ktomas1 Member

Best Answers:
    I registered 8 domain names in the landrush period. I have yet to receive any clear information from godaddy or mydomains.com about the status of the auctions.

I am also trying to understand something maybe someone can help. I registered futures.asia for the landrush period, registrar took my money & said that it was available meaning it was not taken during the sunrise period. When I do a whois lookup is the domain is registered to someone else. What is going on? Is this some kind of ancient asian scam?

ktomas1, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thats why im waiting a few weeks, i saw no need to risk extra money trying to get in first, some registrars are keeping the money no matter what, some are only charging if you actually get the domain.

Need to check which is/were doing what.

pipes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  7. tfbpa

tfbpa The....Alive

Best Answers:
    The fact that they took your money is bad, but of the dozens of registrars I have checked before actually registering one, ALL of them refunded the money eventually. At least part of it...

Some take a good bit of time, like ASIADNS, who will refund the money only after 120 days with 5% cut.

Anybody now understands why they were able to afford to let people try to register the .asia's for only 4-6 euro? :p ASIADNS deserves the price of the year for smartest/sneakiest marketing if you ask me :D

tfbpa, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  8. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dont waste your money and time on premium domains. you can't snatch them for tiny $25 or whatever they charge for registrations.

All these domains are already going to be auctioned what you all did (i am sure 1000 others) for that futures.asia domain. Imagine every domain that goes for auction has given .asia on average about $50000 per domain.

Now they will eventually return your money but till then they are making nice interest off it. This is all money game and you guys got GAMED.

the moment i saw the whole auction BS, i left that arena totally. Auctions will never fall in your basket unless you have $100K+ budget for such premium domains. We are just a smaller fish in this domain business.

I strongly suggest dont waste ur time on such premium domains.Wait till its actually open to public and then register at normal price. Atleast you will get the domain you want, if at all its available :p

godmode, Mar 19, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  9. johan-cr

Best Answers:
    Some of us want to buy domains for a higher fee and either to sell it higher later or develop a site on it.

The highest domain price so far is $20.501 (ace.asia), sure there will most likely be higher ones now in landrush but there can still be some nice ones for a good price. Saying that they in average will go for $50000 is....well....

By reading the rules everyone knew how it was working, i would not say anyone got GAMED..

That is why most people concentrate on the medium to low range domains and hope they will grow in the future.. Not everyone is going after sex.asia or buy.asia

By doing that you might miss out on a good domain for perhaps just an extra $10.... And the price is now also higher than the promotions that were done by like EuroDNS (4 EURO per year)...

johan-cr, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  10. presence

presence Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised GoDaddy would get involved in .asia if it was being dubiously managed. Bob Parsons (CEO, GoDaddy) calls out domain scams left & right... And they've avoided some TLDs in the past (for example .la), not sure why, but if there was a rat in .asia, it seems strange for them to be in the mix. Wonder how big a cut they're going to get wrestling blogs.asia out of your hands. (sorry to hear it). Wonder if you can take it up with ICANN.

presence, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  11. link_dev

link_dev Peon

Best Answers:
    The domain which i registered during landrush open enrollment period is still available for pre-registration go-live.

Why would they do this? This is simply mismanagement or fraud.
    Moreover, no one is updating me on the status of my application.

link_dev, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  12. ernestjev

ernestjev Banned

Best Answers:
    THis is because they only need to make money as much as they can in this wek. I lost my 8 applications width out no reason .

ernestjev, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  13. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    (I placed an order on blogs.asia...)

Lpspider, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  14. ktomas1

ktomas1 Member

Best Answers:
    Getting close to going live, and I yet to receive any information on upcoming auctions for the domains I registered during the landrush period.

Also, one of the domains I applied for during landrush is no longer showing as available, it now shows up as I sunrise application. What is up with .asia?

ktomas1, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  15. odium

odium Peon

Best Answers:
    Phew, lucky me I decided not to but any .asia domains!

odium, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  16. genderth

genderth Peon

Best Answers:
    This is about 'fair play'. I in the past searched the Asia domain names looking to see what was available until I came across one named all.com.

I then pre-booked it and gave details of how to collect monies from my credit card.

I next waited and received a standard letter stating that if they had a number of applicants there would be an auction. I waited for a notification of that paprticular event nothing happened. In the meantime all the other that I had pre-booked and not paid for lay on the account waiting.

In the meantime I patiently waited but heard nothing until I recently went to my regular damain name provider goDaddy where I was shocked to see them seling .Asia domains not at nearly 100 USD but 20 USD and when I checked the 'who's got what domain' all the pre-booked domains they I had pre-booked were allocated. In fact the all.asia was allocated on the 3rd March.

So what am I left with a credit of my money 'not in cash' but to my domain account - which still does not appear - for which I can purchase a domain name at a grossly inflated price.

I think I was lucky not sure about others - Is this 'fair play' I fear not - I wonder how many others have had the same expeience to a far greater extent !!!!!!!

Dr. Graham

genderth, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  17. Newviewit

Newviewit Active Member

Best Answers:
    godaddy scammed one premium .asia domain one week ago... just refunded my money with no reason, no auction or anything. Don't trust godaddy. Having loads of problems with so much stuff over there....time to move everything away.

This .asia auction is a total scam. Applied for 20+ domains and have to wait for the auction which will likely drag on until June or later so the hosting companies can scam interest off our registration fees

Newviewit, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  18. Johnny Mestizo

Johnny Mestizo Peon

Best Answers:
    Afghanistan, Antarctica, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cook Islands, Cyprus, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Georgia, Heard and McDonald Islands, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of, Korea, Republic of, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian Territories, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Tonga Islands, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Samoa, Yemen.

That is one heck of a market to say ".asia is a waste of time!"

I have found all 3-letter domains that resemble dictionary words gone. However 4-letter and 5-letter domains are still out there. I bought a heap and posted about them at johnnymestizo.com

Yes - Sunrise have certainly turned .asia into a money-making blitz and good luck to 'em. There are still jewels to be found though. -Ingatz :cool:

Johnny Mestizo, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  19. johan-cr

Best Answers:

Nice one, guessing it is a joke?

johan-cr, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  20. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Giving .asia big credit solely based on Asia is a huge continent is only false, with that reasoning .earth would take over .com's crown. It's as promising as .eu

LeoSeo, Mar 31, 2008 IP