1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some ideas

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by kadesmith, Mar 10, 2008.

I run a web site called Backcountry Secrets (http://www.backcountrysecrets.com). The idea of the site is to get people to share points of places to hike, bike, canoe, swim, etc.

The problem I am running into is that everyone who visits the site only consumes, no one shares.

I have considered doing competitions for prizes. For example person with the most submitted points over a specified time wins something.

I've also considered doing something like, "Next 20 people to submit 50 points gets a $25 Applebee's gift card."

Do you have any suggestions for me as to a campaign that may also help?

kadesmith, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  2. donrock

donrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out a site called Qassia, they are getting a ton of articles of all kinds.

It's free and they give points for the articles that will be used to make money from Adsense ads they will be putting on the site later.

The theory is good and may be helpful for you or at least give you some ideas.

donrock

donrock, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  3. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    Bonus sytem will help you greately.

~ServerPoint~, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  4. pointkids21

pointkids21 Banned

Best Answers:
    yes i need some idea about the posting of site.

pointkids21, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  5. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ,
    submitted something from Ireland to BC secrets. I love the idea of the site...
    Im just wondering if there was a quicker way for people to submit stuff..

If they could also use some form of "quick submit" to submit a BC secret of a website link relating to an area? Something like a "stumble upon" button..

I think that may be whats stopping people is that it takes a little time.... Maybe a draw for members each month for travel vouchers or one of your SHHHHH hats ? :)

Will put thinking cap on !

Tom Thumb, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  6. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice web site, I like the concept, and I like the idea of giving a prize to the person with the most submitted points over a specified time.

kingofsanda, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  7. MTheory

MTheory Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the concept of the site also.

I may be missing it, but these days, a site such as yours really needs to incorporate graphics and video to hook users.

MTheory, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  8. dencha

dencha Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow what a great site!

I'm a outdoorsy person myself...

dencha, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  9. comusher

comusher Peon

Best Answers:
    The contest sounds like a good idea to get more users. What is your traffic like though? I work for 2 well ranked camping gear sites, and I have not ran into your site yet until now. Maybe you just need more exposure in the right crowds.
    If you want I would be willing to do a blog post swap type thing where we each get some exposure for our sites. PM if you are interested.

comusher, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  10. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    add some features to your site that will attract the surfer. :)

carol.prime, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  11. kadesmith

kadesmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you on the video stuff MTheory, I'm just not sure what the best route for incorporating the videos into the site would be (technology wise). I mean I know I could use youtube, but to me that feels kind of cheap...

kadesmith, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  12. MTheory

MTheory Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also meant it may be nice to allow member to include video and photos in their reviews.

MTheory, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  13. kadesmith

kadesmith Peon

Best Answers:
    Photos can be included with the points. I need to make that more obvious and I also need to make it so you can include a description with the photo. I like the idea of adding the photo to the review! That way the reviewer gets credit for his/her image.

kadesmith, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  14. PurplePeeps

PurplePeeps Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that this might be a little counter intuitive, but you may want to make it where the person that comes to the site can "share" their secret place without signing up for a login. I think that's your biggest barrier.

I was going to add two really cool places I know about, but it asked me for a login and since I am at work I thought "meh, I do that later..." I know I will forget though. You have an excellent site.

Here is what I would do, make it super simple to add a new site, then ask for the users email address to let them know if someone has questions about that particular site or lets them know if someone makes a change. This site would do well as a social networking hybrid site.

Then you could promote it by going on site to some of the places and doing videos that you could put up on YouTube showing the place that is described.

Good stuff, I'm bookmarking it.

PurplePeeps, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  15. MTheory

MTheory Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Take the "Best Kept Secrets" concept less literal.

MTheory, Mar 19, 2008 IP