1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keywords. Quality or Quantity?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by sivle, Mar 17, 2008.

I've been trying to learn about pay per click, and affiliate marketing and what I don't understand is how people get such great volume to their landing pages. Some things I've read, say to build a large list of keywords, but if you do this, the quality score becomes an issue and suddenly you're looking at $1 to $5 per click. If I use a few targeted keywords, they may not get the volume or take much longer to find keywords that convert. I'm not opposed to putting in the long hours and hard work it takes to be successful, but I'm just trying to figure out where to start. So, what's the best approach? Lots of keywords, or keep testing a few at a time? :confused:

sivle, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  2. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use proper campaign setup, structuring and keyword clustering you can start with a million keywords with no effect.

Check the link in my sig, it has how to articles on these subjects

robertpriolo, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  3. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you generate all the KW you can, then break up the keywords in different set of groups. then when you setup your campaign, use each set of KW for one ad group and write ad copy for that set of KW only. once you run it for a day or 2, you will see which KWs are getting more impressions, yuo can then revise your ad copy and optimize your site for those KWs. your QS will be fine

sultanofseo, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  4. Findfair

Findfair Peon

Best Answers:
    Learn,Do & waite:p

Findfair, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  5. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember to separate content & search campaigns. Having a big list of kws is bad for the content network, since Google tries to match the content with ALL of them.

Sharpseo, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  6. paul_delaney

paul_delaney Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure you separate your match types into different campaigns so you can see each type of kw converting

paul_delaney, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  7. ianternet

ianternet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are things like broad and phrase match - but as per the quality vs quantity I do quality - some of my ad group only has 7 keywords in them and they bring good traffic with good conversions

quantity is good to start off but filter through them - find which one is working better for you and your campaign

ianternet, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  8. Masterful

Masterful Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You want quantity and quality.

Start off with a small set of highly targeted longtails, separated into strict ad groups. Write custom ads for each group and launch the campaign with keyword tracking in place. After that, you can build the keyword count gradually by adding new ad groups.

Masterful, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  9. LucioDiasRibeiro

LucioDiasRibeiro Peon

Best Answers:
    You say that again. Spot on!

LucioDiasRibeiro, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  10. obzokie

obzokie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I am a newbie to this but what does "longtails" mean?

obzokie, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  11. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    longtails mean keyword consisting 2 or more words

sultanofseo, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  12. LucioDiasRibeiro

LucioDiasRibeiro Peon

Best Answers:
    It means targeting niche. Its a niche strategy.
    You can find a more detailed explanation here and here
    Cheers
    Lucio

LucioDiasRibeiro, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  13. obzokie

obzokie Peon

Best Answers:
    alright, thanks guys! got it.

obzokie, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  14. PPC-Coach

PPC-Coach Active Member

Best Answers:
    Uh no you can't.

That's really bad advice. If you dump that many in at once, your account will slow to beyond a crawl. It doesn't matter if it's perfectly structured or not. They don't want people dumping in a million or half a million or even a hundred thousand keywords anymore. It just doesn't work.

You have to test in small batches for the search network. Then as you find converting keywords, you expand THOSE converters into all the variations and permutations available.

For the content network, they only look at the first 50 in every adgroup, so go with groups of 50 or less. They determine a theme for that adgroup and then place you ads on pages that match that theme. So if you have a ton of related adwords for the content network, it's not going to increase your click volume all that much either.

PPC-Coach, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  15. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    I do this all the time with no problem, and I continue to do this at least once per month with the setup of a new client... So you can't say its bad advice. When you have clients that want to spend 100k per month or more, we dont have time to test 10 keywords at once. So my advice still stands, its possible and I do it all the time.

I understand this with content, however content does not work like search and campaign structuring is completely different. You should be seperating your content campaign from your search campaigns and not running them togeather.

So if you have a ton of related adwords for the content network, it's not going to increase your click volume all that much either.

This statement is completely false, we have clients that have doubled their traffic and either maintained CPA or CPA was better. On average content increasees volume about 20% in both clicks and conversions.

I assume you manage small clients with very small budgets... Which is fine, Im not saying anything bad about it, but you have to consider the strategies of fortune 50, 100, 500 and 1000 companies who cant test small keyword groupings at wait for results. They need bigger volume and massive multiple campaign strategy and testing done simultaneously to make faster decisions and stay 1 step ahead of everyone else.

robertpriolo, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  16. BillyTheKid55

BillyTheKid55 Peon

Best Answers:
    I spend about $700-$1000 a day personally on adwords and I recommend starting with the highest traffic yet targeted keywords first and I will do 1-10 campaigns each with one adgroup to test ads and CTR. From there I expand to thousands of keywords. Here's a look at one of my latest successful campaigns:
    [​IMG]

BillyTheKid55, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  17. PPC-Coach

PPC-Coach Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can say it's bad advice because it is bad advice. You cannot dump a million keywords into any account at once and expect adwords to be ok with that. It doesn't work that way and I don't care how many "clients" you say you manage spending $100k per month, you're wrong. $100k is not a fortune 500 company either, so again you're off base. I don't manage any accounts except my own. If you know what you're doing you can work for yourself in this business and never take on a client.

PPC-Coach, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  18. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    your ignorance and persistence amazes me.

Lastly you are correct the 100k clients are not fortune 500 companies, those are the ones spending closer to 1 mill per month or more. I just used the term 100k cause thats more of an average.

robertpriolo, Mar 19, 2008 IP