1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting 2,000 unique visitors a day

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by touchAshley, Mar 17, 2008.

How do people do it? I just don't get it. You can do loads of free advertising using all the methods everyone talks about but still not get that many visitors a day. If you do, it'll drop back down shortly after but you do gain some readers, but still.

So does it all come down to having to invest in some paid advertising? Or is it because your site is very established and lots of seo was put into play?

Is my statcounter broken?

If someone could say "Here's exactly how you get 2k visitors a day".. that would be nice. So whats up?

touchAshley, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  2. seo4china

seo4china Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's about the quality of your site, not the promotion you are doing for it.

seo4china, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  3. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is so wrong :/
    Quality is of course important. But no one is going to know about it if you don't promote it.

4. KiwiPulse

KiwiPulse Guest

Best Answers:
    Work on your SEO! try to get a decent ranking on the keyword you have chosen. Also its help to get backlink by commenting on other blogs. :p

KiwiPulse, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  5. touchAshley

Best Answers:
    I knowww. I do everything. I work on seo every night until my eyes get blurry and fall asleep at my desk. I build backlinks, social bookmarking and every other method you can think of. Don't get me wrong, Ive had good days.
    I just feel like 2k visitors a day is so far out of reach. I also feel like theres some secret that is super simple that I just don't know about. Just simply stuck.

The site is about a month and a half old. perhaps im being impatient and all of my seo work will finally pay off soon or later.

6. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From your signature it looks like you may be trying to rank for work at home opps / income opps. That's a competitive niche.

Your backlinks look like you do a lot of blog commenting, which is great. Your a top commentator at emonetized (dot) com. Your anchor text is your site name. You need to use your targeted keywords as your anchor text when possible. If you are trying to rank for cash with that anchor text, well, maybe set the bar/goals a little lower for now.

Directory submissions are a great way to get those valued backlinks and anchor text. Check out digixmas.com and use their free software to submit to 150 free directories. Pay the $15 and submit to 1400+ free directories. Again, proper anchor text usage applies.

Your site appears relatively new, according to pagerank anyway. The PR 0 could be a result of outbound links, but I did not dig too deep to research the reasons. Anyway, your going to have to work your butt off to rank well for your niche. Try targeting some less competitive keywords at first, then branch out to the more competitive keywords.

Say your ultimate goal is to rank for cash. Do some keyword research and find some medium or long tailed keywords containing the word cash that would produce reasonable traffic. Try to rank for those if the traffic is appropriate. As your site and links age, just having the word cash in the anchor text of your existing backlinks will improve the rank for cash as well.

Keep working at it. It's all about matching backlinks to the keywords you wish to rank for.

snowbird, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    argothiusz likes this.
  7. alfredn

alfredn Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, owned, but yea, he's pretty wrong, I think it's a bit of both as the last guy said, your niche.

alfredn, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  8. 0lgi

0lgi Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on your efforts and skills. There are people out there getting 500,000 uniques per month without spending a single dime for marketing.

Rule #1 is to have a good looking site which is informative at a particular niche and updated daily. After that you can massively advertise it once and the others which will visit it once will do it again if they are satisfied (unless the domain is xdses-cx.com)

Good Luck

0lgi, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    argothiusz likes this.
  9. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Right.

For new sites, I just add them to a few free directories, so they get indexed.

I don't start SEO for sites until they are 2-3 months old.

I agree with that. If your niche has a lot of competition, it makes much more sense to go after longer phrases.

Once your site starts to get traffic from the search engines, try to improve positions of keywords/phrases that are already bringing traffic.

e.g. Suppose your site is ranking at 7th position for a particular phrase.

It will be much easier to take your site to 1st position for that phrase, than to do the same with a phrase for which you rank at 60.

sachin410, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    argothiusz likes this.
  10. skaterkee

skaterkee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Took me just under a year with SEO and Link building. It also helps that I have a news site and work for other news sites that allow me to link to mine at the end of each post. If I have something unique I get a lot of click throughs. Also make sure you always have something viral on the go that brings in stumble or digg traffic.

skaterkee, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  11. pottz

pottz Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a site that does anywhere between 300,000 to 800,000 page views a month with no advertising whatsoever. The site went to #2 position on Google page 1 search results within a year.

Luckily for me, I never had to advertise, because the niche I choose was gaining so much publicity on TV & in magazine's people came to me and now the UV range b/w 1,000 - 5,000 a day.

If you do your research and find that niche, you can exploit it before everyone else catches on & become an authority. Don't start a 'make money online' site when the internet is saturdated already as you won't make it. People will visit sites that make huge dollars a month & can prove it.

Example: google just returned 44,100,000 sites for the keywords 'make money online' so why anyone would try and hit this niche is news to me, unless they have a proven track record.

Think outside the square! Hope this helps..

pottz, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  12. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry that is not true.

The smart thing is not to rely on SEO and rankings...and you can do well in just about any niche.

(think list building, JV's etc)

Ernster, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    argothiusz likes this.
  13. touchAshley

Best Answers:
    Thanks snobird, and the rest of you.
    oh trust me I always use the anchor text I'm trying to rank for. When blog commenting, I try to just use my site name "cashjuke" instead of spammy keywords. But alot of times I still use the keywords in blog commenting, just not as much as other places.

I submitted to directories a little bit but stopped because i have no idea if it's a waste of time or not. I have people in one ear telling me its very helpful, then i have people in my other ear saying how pointless it is and doesnt work, so i'm a bit confused on that.

One search phrase im shooting for returns about 16 million search results - how hard do you think it'd be to get the first page of that? So right now I'm mostly doing article marketing, social bookmarking, forum posting and blog commenting...What else do I need to add to that daily routine?

touchAshley, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  14. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Patience....It all takes time. You will need to allow 2-3yrs to reach that much traffic especially for a new site. There are intense competition out there and it all depends your niche.

olddocks, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    argothiusz likes this.
  15. GuruSpots.com

GuruSpots.com Peon

Best Answers:
    kepp trying to promote it and write high quality content for your site and keep submitting it to google yahoo msn

GuruSpots.com, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  16. mmay

mmay Peon

Best Answers:
    if you dont pay for traffic (adwords, etc.) then it'll take some time.

you said that you mess around with SEO each night. This always gives me a negative effect for about a month. Sometimes I fall out of the first page of results when i make title and meta changes. Eventually, you'll rank back in if you keep up your backlinks. It wouldn't hurt to pay for a spot somewhere, maybe set a $10 budget per site? One of my niches is online dating, it took me a few months to get on the first page.

I check my analytics page for entrance keywords and which articles/content are getting the most hits. Then i'll focus more on that stuff. I can get 2000+ uniques in about 4 months or so. Not right off the bat.

mmay, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  17. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dO YOUR seo!

Chancey, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  18. FredRoe

FredRoe Guest

Best Answers:
    You've got a site that is less than two months old, and you're asking how to rank for a search with 16 million results???

Hmmm.....

That's a difficult task for anyone to do, and in the make money market if I were to take you as an SEO client, first off I probably wouldn't take you until your site had been up at least a year, and maybe two. And even then it would cost you roughly $5,000 a month for a year.

So, yeah anything is possible. However it's not likely that you'll end up anywhere in the top 100 within the first year, unless you apply massive action to getting to that top.

FredRoe, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  19. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are definitely impatient. It depends on all - niche, content and your SEO efforts. It took me around a year to bring 1.5-2k UV/generic SE results only/ a day to one of my main site and as sachin410 suggested, begin with longer phrases, then go to the most competitive, then to the most competitive word.. - that worked very well for me. Also as he said dont do too many links from the beginning. I do the same 4 my sites - only a few links at first to get the site indexed without search engine/sitemap submissions and only adding content/completing the entire site content/. Then after few months I increase my SEO work along with the rankings...higher rankings=more links and so on... Also watch to get only related links - the others wont help you unless you are making a site just to sale links from it...which is not such a good idea in my opinion.
    In my opinion again content could be very strong factor, since only because of my text content I've received some NATURAL & REALLY strong links/mostly to particular content pages/... and these links are bringing me not only rankings, but pretty good traffic as well... so content surely matters!
    Maybe this greatly vary depending on the niche - I was talking about travel related stuff. However, I am deeply not satisfied with that traffic...so the work continues :)
    Cheers & wish you success, but give it some time...

abraxas, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  20. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    New sites are always difficult to get off the ground in competitive niches. The key is to make your site sticky, so what few visitors you get decide to return. Between the forum, polls, newsletter, updated content, etc., that should help. You may want to also add a top commentators option so that you can give some of your active visitors a little link love.

I'm not a big fan of those outbound links you have (under links). Your site is new, so the focus should be on you and keeping visitors at your site as long as you can. Those appear to be sitewide links as well. From a SEO standpoint, these could actually do you more harm then good. If you are into reciprocal link exchanges, create a links page and toss your exchanged links on that instead.

Keep submitting to free directories. It's not a waste of time. It will help you improve your rank for any keyword you so choose. But your in a competitive niche, so you are going to need a lot of backlinks to rank for higher traffic keywords.

I see you are giving away/contest a free banner placement. Anytime you mention free, try to post about it at fatwallet (dot) com and the other freebie sites. Free is good, and those sites will send you visitors that are cheap and looking to save and make a dime.

Try to work out some non cash deals with sites that are in your niche, but not necessarily direct competition. Try to get a plug in their newsletter, and offer the same. Or offer a review in a post in exchange for the same. Any deals you make, do it for traffic.

Get your forum listed in all the forum directories. If the sig links are do-follow, let everyone know that in a professional way. A lot of people post at forums just for backlinks and the traffic.

Without spending money, it's difficult to launch a site. Try to rank for keywords that will be easier to rank for. This will bring some traffic in the short term and allow your site to age and get the trust it needs to rank for highly competitive keywords. 16 million results will certainly be easier to rank for then 40 million. But its still no walk in the park. Just make sure those keywords bring some traffic. Use Google Trends or Traffic Estimator. Nichebot (dot) com and Wordtracker are good if you have some money to spend.

With a site 1.5 months old, don't expect much at first with little to no advertising budget. If you provide good content, eventually it will come together for you. The key is keeping visitors coming back and providing content they would link to.

Good luck. Keep at it and eventually you will break through the ice. :)

snowbird, Mar 18, 2008 IP