1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AdSense content targeting - trademarks

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Bernard, May 28, 2004.

So I add some AdSense code to two technical tutorials covering project management concepts for industrial plant maintenance projects. I check the ads to see what is appearing and several of the pages for each tutorial show an ad that reads "Bad Breath? ...". Right. So the page visitors to the page are going to be asking, what? (Yes, I've put that ad on the block list.)

I think the ads was keyed off of the word "scope" which is used in the context of work scope. Not the mouthwash...

Bernard, May 28, 2004 IP
    iggysick and guerilla like this.
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    So much for the power of Google's sematic tools.

compar, May 28, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Next thing you know you will be serving ads for a sniper rifle scope. ;)

Such Great Heights, May 28, 2004 IP
  4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bernard, I have noticed that until the specific Googlebot visits it is pretty random. Took about 4 days for my first site to start serving relevant info. I think if you are patient and your keyword and descriptions are right, you will be fine.

NewComputer, May 28, 2004 IP
  5. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is just a theory mind you, if a site has 2 keywords/phrases that AdSense would use choose which add to show. It will always choose the more popular/expensive out of the 2. One might think it would choose on pure relevance, but I suggest that the dollar amount has a much greater factor.

Help Desk, May 28, 2004 IP
  6. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    NewComputer, the ads I'm seeing are already very well targeted. I have not seen one ad that didn't make sense to me with regards to the on page copy.

ThinkBling, based upon what I'm seeing the ads served have more to do with which keywords are appearing on the page more frequently. I'm seeing 3 ads currently on one of the "scope" pages in question related to the word scope. The other ad is related to the subject matter of the page.

I did a quick informal check on AdWords and a top position on scope can be had for less than 10 times what a top position would cost on the subject related phrase. Interesting.

Bernard, May 28, 2004 IP
  7. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The reason for that previous statement of mine was because of my experience. My main-page is a category directory of all the different items for sale. Some of which are baby products. With no fail everytime one goes to ThinkBling.com the ads are for baby products which must be the highest revenue words.

Help Desk, May 29, 2004 IP
  8. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bernard, May 29, 2004 IP
  9. Abiao25

Abiao25 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with his said!

Abiao25, Mar 25, 2008 IP