1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Directory Script?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by in3sting, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Professional Dude

Professional Dude Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PhpLd is the best in my opinion, Try it you will surely like it

GoodLuck :)

Professional Dude, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  2. Majnoon

Majnoon Active Member

Best Answers:
    in my opinion all scripts are good and have things that the other scrip that might not have. I personally tried phpld and eSyndiCat and i prefer eSyndicat. it has plenty of plugins and u do not need any coding knowledge to install them. what i would advice is get the free versions of all and try them.

Majnoon, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I never made the chart but I'd gladly do one as I think esyndicat is weaker than most out there having been on there as a dummy customer and tried the script.

JamieG, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  4. mattheww

mattheww Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this argument reminds me of the cpanel vs direct admin vs plesk debate.... it will never end!!!

mattheww, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ive always wondered why DP wont build 3-4 subsections under directories and offer
    EVERY script the opportunity to have a community...

This would generate more interest in ALL scripts currently available.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is that each script already have their own forums for support and community, they most likely prefer to keep it contained and where they can moderate their own boards, the restriction of using someone elses board for that purpose probably wouldn't appeal.

Also i cant imagine a general webmaster forum catering for specific scripts unless they owned the script themselves.

pipes, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Directory Owners tried that once and it failed dismally. The problem is people simply aren't allowed to listen or even to make their own minds up on these forums for a number of reasons.

As a script rep myself I can honestly say I couldn't care less what script a person chose as long as they were allowed to make an informed decision. The current state of play means they can't because there are so many almost fanatical supporters (God knows why) of one script, which is why you rarely see the esyndicat owners, the myphpdirectory owners or any other half decent script post here, they simply can't be bothered to put up with the mentality often shown.

My only problem is when people harp on about one script without even having any knowledge of other scripts so really shouldn't comment because they are akin to the blind leading the blind.

JamieG, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  8. bsklep

bsklep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpLD is the best in my opinion.

bsklep, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Perfect example of why I posted what I did above. :rolleyes:

Out of interest, have you tried other scripts and what are your experiences with them to allow you to make that 'opinion'?

JamieG, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  10. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    well, i own indexscript and i would certainly wish to have such fanatical supporters. such support shows excellent goodwill and i think phpld has done a great job to get such supporters. whether it is really the best script out there or not does not matter - people think its the best therefore it is the best.

personally, if i were to choose a script, i would go with phpld - simply because so many other people use it - which leads to many suppliers of the 'extras' - skins, mods, etc.

daboss, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  11. spin

spin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well spoken....... I can think of a few that are in my top list...PHPLD is one I like and powerseek...oh Gossemer....:D

spin, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  12. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I have to be blunt here, what an utter load of nonsense. People think it's the best therefore it must be the best? That's ludicrous and as narrow minded as your likely to get. Manchester United have the most supporters but are they the best? Barcelona fans would certainlt disagree.

All in all it's just a matter of interpretation because what's best for one isn't for another. ;)

JamieG, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  13. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    i think you misunderstood me... my point is that in business, it is more important to be what people think is the best than to actually be the best. so since people think phpld is the best, phpld has achieved what the business world would consider a very admirable position. :)

i notice that you're very agressive... maybe not the best approach in trying to promote phplynx... ;) it gives people the impression that you are the underdog and you are feeling sore about it... maybe it's true? :rolleyes:

daboss, Mar 14, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  14. monster.amd64

monster.amd64 Peon

Best Answers:
    my choice esyndicat..

monster.amd64, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:

JamieG, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  16. dotcomdesigns

dotcomdesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not getting into the debate as to which is best because I have not tried them all and therefore can not possibly know. However I do run 2 directories with eSyndicat and I'm reasonably happy with it so far. One thing that does go against me recommending them is their upgrade procedure. It's a nightmare and they are taking a huge amount of flack in their support forum at the moment. This forum is hidden unless you have bought the pro version.

The upgrades are very complicated for novices and experienced webmasters too apparently. I'm frightened to upgrade to the latest version because of this. And this leaves me with some doubts as to my continued use of it. Sure we can pay support to upgrade but I don't want to have to pay each time a patch comes out.

All that aside I really like the script. It's easy to use and looks pretty good too!

dotcomdesigns, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  17. Kaiser_Dealxa

Kaiser_Dealxa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use phpld and in my opinion is the best. i recommend.

Kaiser_Dealxa, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  18. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    I think once in 1-2 weeks, a thread like this is open.

I think you should make one sticky and open, and prevent other thousands to be open :)

hyper, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    lol, your so right, and it does get boring. I think it's about time someone just opened up a blog or something dedicated to comparing scripts from a totally independent view and having a free copy from all script developers to test. That way we could just point the countless repetitious posts to that. I know the phpLynx team would be more than happy to go for that idea.

JamieG, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  20. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    see what i mean by you being aggresive? ;) cool down and do phplynx some justice... if phplynx is good, let the script speak for itself. it doesn't need an aggresive spokesperson. :cool:

daboss, Mar 15, 2008 IP