1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what's the difference between social bookmarking and web 2.0?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ellathinks, Mar 13, 2008.

I've been reading some articles recently about web 2.0 and social bookmarking. I was thinking how effective is web 2.0 or social bookmarking? For starters and newbies like me, where can I get free tutorial or more information about this? And for those who used this to promote their websites, can you share you stories about this? I am planning to incorporate this technique in promoting my newly launched website.

--- ellathinks ----
    Get Free SEO Report - Profitimo

ellathinks, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  2. redspace

redspace Peon

Best Answers:
    redspace, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  3. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Ella (I apologize ahead of time if that's not your real name - just guessing from your username),

To make a long story short, "Web 2.0" has nothing to do with design - it's just a means of sharing information about information online between computers. As for social bookmarking it's just another way of saying "I'm networking and meeting with like-minded people I admire, respect, and want to [insert objective here, such as "hang out" "conduct business" and so forth] with." You know, stuff that people have been doing for ages as it is.

Dan Schulz, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  4. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is very simplified but still relevant definition of Web 2.0:

Basicaly, Web 2.0 is about how people share information and communicate online today - compared to few years ago it's a dramatic change.

By the way, I've written pretty useful article about Web 2.0 at my blog. :)

risoknop, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  5. Ankit_Garg

Ankit_Garg Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Risoknop

Nice read on the blog... :)

Ankit_Garg, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, DP friends. This old guy (64) is not new to webmastering, but I'm quite new to social bookmarking. Lately I've been subscribing to and getting links to my website on such sites as Squidoo, Del.icio.us, Spurl, and others.

My question as a social bookmarking newcomer: Do those links to one's website from, let's say, Squidoo really count as valued backlinks?

Jim4767, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  7. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. At least I have stumbled (bought about 300 stumbles :D) one my site about month ago and the google accepted the backlinks 100%. So I think they should count as valued. ;)

risoknop, Mar 14, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, riso. Green rep added.

Any other advice on social bookmarking links' value? I've just started to dabble in the bookmarking and don't want to waste valuable work time if it's not really the big deal some make it out to be.

Jim4767, Mar 14, 2008 IP