1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can H1-B and F1 visa holders earn money online?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Minterest, Nov 30, 2007.

Hello,

I have just discovered this page... http://www.ipatrix.com/h1b-f1-visa-earn-money-online/ just go through that page.... it says H1-B and F1 visa holders cant make money online..... Anyone got more info regarding this?

Also if its right then how about changing the address back to my own country (I'm asking about Commission Junction) and then use a US Bank account for payment...Is that allowed? please guide me....

Source: http://www.ipatrix.com/h1b-f1-visa-earn-money-online/

Minterest, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  2. Bezel

Bezel Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't say anything about student visas (F1), but H1 folks can legally get paychecks ONLY from the company who holds their H1.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it can possibly be a problem for you if IRS will decide to audit your account (since you will have to list your additional income in your taxes, which increases a risk of the audit). I have no idea what consequences it may cause...

At the same time as a non-US resident (permanent/citizen) you are ok to establish C-corporation (you can't do S-corp or LLC without being a resident) in US and have your AdSense account earning go there. But, there is same issue - you can't WORK for this C-Corporation yourselves while you are in US. You need to have "formal" CEO/director (not yourselves) who runs it and simply share the profit with you :)

Personally I know several people who did AdSense earnings being on H1 status, who did establish LLCs still being on H1, but these guys already green card owners, so they don't care much about it anymore...

Don't forget that INS always ask you to provide your last tax returns (several times during green card process), so they can figure out if you got income from extra sources...

Hope it helps, but still get a real legal advice from your immigration attorney to avoid green card issues.

Bezel, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  3. Minterest

Minterest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone with more insights?????/

Minterest, Dec 1, 2007 IP
  4. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
  5. shortanswer

shortanswer Peon

Best Answers:
    I did some more research on the web. It seems that H1B's cannot receive 1099 MISC. It may bite you during green card processing.
    Has anyone experienced issues with USCIS during gc processing? I think the chances are slim and I have not heard or read online about this.

KC

shortanswer, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  6. chris265

chris265 Peon

Best Answers:
    How are they making money from adsense or geting paid then.

chris265, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  7. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can receive 1099, nothing will happen to you until you change your status. at that time immirgation will check your SSN with IRS. If you didn't use ur SSN, you will be safe.

ahkip, Mar 14, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  8. sunny210

sunny210 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this info.
    I was looking for this from past few days....

sunny210, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  9. InternetGuru666

InternetGuru666 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think thee's some misinformation being spread here.
    When you go to the "Tax Information" section of the Google Adsense site, you have 3 questions asked of you:

Are you a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. corporation, or a U.S. partnership?
    the answer is No.

Do you have employees in the U.S. related to your participation in AdSense?
    the answer is No.

Do you have employees in the U.S. related to your participation in AdSense?
    Again, the answer is No.

If you answer No to these questions, you are considered a NON-US publisher, and that means you DO NOT have to report this income.

Personally I dont have a blog that makes so much money, but I think people are fine here with respect to making money online. Google clearly states that your Non-US publisher status does not require you to pay taxes. And since you dont pay taxes on these earnings, you will not have a problem with your Green card application later.

I have also clarified this with an immigration attorney.

InternetGuru666, Oct 21, 2008 IP