1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Google needs to learn from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Google' started by frankcow, Mar 8, 2006.

As far as I'm concerned, Google leads the way with innovative new web tools and technologies. The tools are extremely useful, fast, and intuitive. Microsoft spends much of their time figuring out how to catch up.

HOWEVER, there is one area that Google fails miserably, and this will continue to inhibit adoption, and continue to steer people to similar tools provided by MS. Where they fail is in design. As in graphical interface design.

Take a look at Gmail. It's ugly. Look at the Google homepage vs live.com. They do exactly the same thing. But live.com looks slick, looks pretty. Same with talk vs messenger.

Google needs to take a little of the money they're pouring into engineers, and hire a few decent designers. Then my eyes will never wander again.

frankcow, Mar 8, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  2. poohb3ar

poohb3ar Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree about the visuals....Google could definitely put a face lift on it's UI.

poohb3ar, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  3. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Disagree.

UI is different from graphical design... prettiness.. or slickness.

Google has an effective, simple, easy to use UI. Microsoft is showing is shiny and rounded but easy to use? No... they're trying to reinvent things like the scrollbar and making it work differently than every other site the visitor has ever used.

TheHoff, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  4. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with that. If there's anything MS is good at, it's allowing people to do exactly what they want to, without even thinking about it. Look at XP. The reason it's got the market share is because everyone finds it so easy to use.

They invest millions into heurisitcs, and Google should do the same.

The fact that it's sexy is going to catch the attention of the large number of users who don't care about the extended functionality.

frankcow, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  5. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with TheHoff, simple and fast is what made google: google.

Christopher, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  6. poohb3ar

poohb3ar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying that it can't be quick and fast....you can't get much more stripped down than what it already is. I just think they could maybe make it more user friendly with regards to all the other junk they are working on and allowing end users to access...like gmail, base and such.

poohb3ar, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  7. frankcow

Best Answers:
    just because something is fast and simple doesn't mean it can't be beautiful

frankcow, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  8. wkd

wkd Peon

Best Answers:
    Suggesting that Microsoft knows UI is pretty funny to me. Every new version of Office looks worse to me. And personalized menus are the worse UI invention ever in my opinion.

Where Google fails is that they have so many services and they all login differently. If I log into Adsense it does not let me stay logged in, I have to signin again. Adwords is different. Sitemap is different. Then there's GMail. If Google is to become the main app on your desktop it needs to be all integrated like MyYahoo or something like that. Imagine a single login and an option to add different Google services to a homebase type of site.

wkd, Mar 8, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  9. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure they are working on centralizing your logins along with the rest of your data... and it will be called biGBrother.

I gave Live another chance... 10 minutes of adding feeds, reading feeds, and doing searches. I still don't like it. The scrollbar is annoying whether you mousewheel it or grip-drag it. The feeds were not as easy to read or add as Netvibes.

TheHoff, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  10. frankcow

Best Answers:
    I'm still not sure what people are referring to as 'the scrollbar'
    I just see a scrollbar...

frankcow, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  11. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Do a search with the top search box. The results are displayed in what looks like an iFrame and updated on the fly (oooh Ajaxian delight). Kudos to them for making the back button still function, but that scrollbar.... while a nice attempt at crossbrowser programming... fails because it is not what the user expects, does not work as expected, and makes the scrolling stepped and jagged.

TheHoff, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  12. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely disagree about the visuals. I hate using MSN and Yahoo because of the visual clutter. I remain a fan of Googles visually simple, quick loading interface. Change that and I will more quickly start looking for alternatives.

The proof is in the company's dominance of search. Market share declined last year for both Yahoo and MSN and grew for Google.

I do not care how relevanet Yahoo or MSN search results are. If it continues to takes a noticeable amount of time for their pages to load on DSL or cable, people are going to travel elsewhere. Despite what designers think, great graphics are not want you want when you just want to search for something or read your email. You want a simple, clean, responsive interface.

clancey, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  13. frankcow

Best Answers:
    But that's because you're not a typical user, you're web-savvy, you're the minority.

live.com is simple, clean, AND beautiful. And as for relevance, I have spots 1, 2, and 3 for certain search terms, so I'm happy!!!!

frankcow, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  14. Basoone

Basoone Peon

Best Answers:
    Its clean for now, wait until they put some ads..

Basoone, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  15. chad@hwequipment.com

chad@hwequipment.com Peon

Best Answers:
    After playing around with live.com for about 15 minutes I am impressed by what Microsoft has accomplished. I like the interface and I even like the scrollbar and I am not a huge Microsoft fan at the best of times.

chad@hwequipment.com, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  16. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is the little +/- sign the reinvented scrollbar that people are mentioning? If so it's not so much a scrollbar but a fairly common toggle trick.

I do like Gmail but don't like the use of iframes in Hotmail, seeing several scrollbars in a screen isn't the best UI design.

tbarr60, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  17. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Do a search, you'll see the results contained within a frame and bordered by an annoying "infinite scroll bar".. which might be fine if it weren't so beta.

TheHoff, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  18. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    Although there are a lot of people out there that care about looks, theres more that care about speed. Sometimes complex is great, and looks good, but that dpeends on the audience. Google products are very simplistic, and very plain. And most computer users don't care if its pretty or not, most care if it works and if its fast.

What microsoft is good at is not only a nice design, but marketting, they have gained a lot of peoples trust. But google is good at making things work, with speed, and simplicity.

Sure Google can spend the money on making their UIs even cooler, but that would be at the cost of speed and there are some that don't want complex art.

But like i said it depends on the audience. My own site, is wayyyyy too graphical, but that's because it appeals to graphic designers that like complex 3D layouts. However, i must admit it probably does not appeal too much to business people, but that's not exactly my audience. Google has probably thought of what you said, maybe someone on their team already suggested making a better UI, but perhaps it was debated and decided this way.

execute, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  19. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    I think live.com looks great too. It's very clever and designed quite well. But I don't see any motive for me to use it. I'm sure lots of people will want something like that, but i don't see any BIG reason for me to use it at all.

execute, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  20. Jat

Jat Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried Live and found it much much slower than Google. Particularly when you refresh or click on the back button. All these fancy tricks are slowing it down.

Jat, Mar 9, 2006 IP