1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

png file format-the best?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by c l a r i t y, Mar 11, 2008.

I read a poster in here that said the png format is the best because its a lossless format-which i understand conceptually, but i am wondering if this is pertaining to print graphics or web graphics? I do primarily print graphics... is this better than jpg for photoshop/illustrator work?? thanks from a noob

c l a r i t y, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  2. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah! .PNG is greatest format of images but it takes much time to load over! web. But if you use for printing purpose then stick on .PNG coz it is best for it's Image Quality

jezzz, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  3. dzdrazil

dzdrazil Peon

Best Answers:
    jpeg and gif files are used commonly on the web for pictures because they have smaller file sizes... either fewer colors or use compression, etc.

png won't compress the image, so it'll be larger but better articulated

dzdrazil, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  4. c l a r i t y

c l a r i t y Active Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate it..never heard that before, but im always tryin to improve on quality

5. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Peon

Best Answers:
    The best format for print is Tiff but it all depends if you use a web press or gangrun printer. Some printers require you to convert all your font to vector fonts in illustrator and then import them back into photoshop but my printer just requires you to send a jpg, tiff, pdf, or eps right from photoshop. Tiff is considered the best but I always use pdf since some printers have a max on the upload size.

And by the way I have the best printing source in the country. PM me for details on how you can make money.

Visual Realm, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  6. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    PNG is **NOT** designed for print.

PNG is the best image format for editing because it is lossless and it's the best for the web because of the variable alpha. It's better than JPG's for photos because it has gamma-correction, so it will show up on my screen exactly as light/dark as it does on yours, whether or not my screen is lighter or darker.

For print you need an image format in CMYK colourspace. PNG uses the RGB colourspace(screen).

Tiff, PSD are probably the most common CMYK formats and it's essential you use one for print or else you lose control over your colours.

If you're designing for print, I know this sounds harsh, but it's a highly specialized field that takes school training. Time is money. Good design takes time and money, bad design will end up costing you MORE time for them to fix it. I don't know how much your time is worth to you, but I'd rather take a few minutes of my time than pay a pressmaster to do simple colour conversions at however much *his* time is worth.

In graphic design programs in college there are entire 'pre-press' classes they have to take. This isn't something you can 'kind of' do. It's either properly prepared, or it's not.

innovati, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  7. JakeCohen

JakeCohen Peon

Best Answers:
    It really all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to make a logo? If so, then JPG, Tiff, PNG, etc. are all pretty much junk. A good logo should DEFINITELY be done in Vector format, so an SVG file would be your best bet. This can be made using Inkscape or Illustrator, as some examples.

If you're trying to print, PNG is quite junky. Tiff is probably the best way, if you have to proper de-compressors needed to read it.

If you're trying to post something good looking on a website, definitely go with PNG. It will make the balance of colors the same on almost all monitors, and it will not lose its quality.

Hope I helped!

JakeCohen, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  8. c l a r i t y

Best Answers:
    Some great info...i must say that I do some logos, flyers, biz cards, web banners etc-a mix of different things that would be decisively considered "kind-of" for right now...so Im not near the level of designers like Innovati (not at all harsh-you speak your mind-I can appreciate that), However, people tend to like my stuff (for what it is) :) and have asked for me to design more and more for them...So I am looking to improve it wherever I can. In my printwork (mostly flyers and biz cards-gangrun) I usually send a CMYK jpg off to the printer. I realize the limitations of coloring with gangrun printing. My main concern is quality upon enlarging the image (i am trying to learn illustrator for vector images) but i am wondering when i find a hi res jpg on the internet that i want to use in my design, what is the best format to convert it to before dropping it into my document to maintain highest quality? Thanks for your time.

9. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for any printing i would suggest a 16-bit TIFF. a truly lossless format. file sizes are rather large though but if you want lossless, that's what you get.

ansi, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  10. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would really suggest designing the elements of the print work in photoshop or illustrator then using indesign to lay them out for print. you can get away with a high resolution JPG (though TIFF is usually preferred by most printers. call and ask the print company which format they prefer to have files delivered in.) as long as it is at least 270dpi. 300dpi just to be on the safe side of things. also, if you're having it printed to the edges, dont forget your bleed areas. an extra 1/8 of an inch (.125) around the edges. take the design off into this area as well, don't just stop at the edge. after they are printed the will be cropped and the bleeds will be cut off and you will have your original image. also, CMYK is pretty much a must. i would also suggest starting your work in CMYK to begin with instead of converting from RGB to CMYK once completed. hope this helps.

ansi, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  11. benetonas123

benetonas123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Png format is good.... :) I use toooo

benetonas123, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  12. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At last! you can use .PNG for better image quality... that's it :)

jezzz, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  13. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    PNG is lossless, Tiff is perfect.

As far as I know, the JPG format was never intended to suppourt the CMYK colourspace. JPEG is the Joint-Photographic Experts group, so naturally the format captures the images in the RGB colourspace, because photos are made from light, light is additive. CYMK is subtractive.

Using a JPG for CMYK would be like using a screwdriver handle for a hammer.

Also, it's impossible, even at the highest settings, to save a JPG without compression/quality-loss. This is not good for print, and very unprofessional for design, unless you're printing photographs.

I don't believe PNG supports CMYK if you're printing, but for screen or web graphics it's the best quality/filesize and you can't go wrong.

Logos should of course be done in a vector format, SVG being a great example of an open vector format that is widely supported.

innovati, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  14. c l a r i t y

Best Answers:
    ok..so if I am doing print it would be smart to convert any jpg that I come across and want to use in my project directly to tiff--in order to not lose anymore quality? then when i finish and send it for print, instead of jpg i should send an eps or psd? most printers accept these but I always convert it to jpg and upload it just because thats what im used to...

c l a r i t y, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  15. KhaoticStorm

KhaoticStorm Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, what I've noticed is that PNG. is looks way better on things that are smaller than .JPEG, but I always go .PNG for small or large projects.

KhaoticStorm, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  16. pro_account

pro_account Peon

Best Answers:
    i also say that PNG is really good

pro_account, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  17. rlhanson

rlhanson Peon

Best Answers:
    Clarity -

Yes, convert your jpeg to a tiff to avoid any quality loss - though you will still have size limitations because of the original type of file.
    Then , for print either save it as a .psd, .eps, or a high-quality .pdf - whichever the printer prefers. Make sure you have your color mode as CMYK.

The only time I convert a graphic file to jpeg is if the size is completely unmanageable or is not accepted for upload to specific vendors. I still save it as a high-quality (and at least 300dpi) jpeg. (I've done this rarely though).

A warning for using png for web graphics - they are great if not viewed by IE5 or below... looks like crap in older IE browsers.

rlhanson, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  18. Dr. XYZ

Dr. XYZ Guest

Best Answers:
    This is true, PNG files can be quite large and transparency most of the times can't be handled by most IE version, including newer. I believe it is related to the software used to create the graphic.

Thinking of Firefox or any other has great for this is your a scheme because statistics say Internet Explorer keep being the most used browser and most of the huge sites are designed with IE in mind.

Personally I don't care at all surfing with IE, Firefox, Opera, Netscape, Safari or whatever else, just let you know what I know about PNG

Dr. XYZ, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  19. marioxiao

marioxiao Peon

Best Answers:
    When you create a transparent background and save it into .PNG, you can put the PNG image in a website in any different background. But the size can be quite large in a consederation of .gif

marioxiao, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  20. c l a r i t y

Best Answers:
    nice. Great info I appreciate all.

c l a r i t y, Mar 14, 2008 IP