1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Backlinks overrated???

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mjgiorgianni, Mar 13, 2008.

Are Backlinks overrated?

What is PR Good for? If the more backlinks you have the better PR you have - what or how does this effect SEO or Search Rankings in search engines?

My website is www FreeBundles com - To new to type it in.

Thanks,
    Michael

mjgiorgianni, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  2. Jaysonnhs

Jaysonnhs Active Member

Best Answers:
    NO

- It helps establish your site as an authority. In addition, if you have a high PR you can give yourself high PR links (see blog post in link above). IMO PR is good for a number of different reasons.

Take PR out of the equation and just think of it as getting votes for your web pages. Other web pages are saying that your web page is a good place to find "example keyword". Back links are also a great way for search engines to find your content and index it.

In addition to giving search engines access to your content and giving your web pages votes, back links tell search engines what they'll find on your website based on the "anchor text".

If thousands of people are saying something is good and then you go check it out, and it is good, you'll probably start telling people it's good. Back links tell the search engines and then your content helps convince the search engines to start referring you.

Jaysonnhs, Mar 13, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  3. zytex

zytex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No back links with targeted keywords as anchors are one of the most important part of SEO, aside from the title tag. PR is good to have for exchanging links with related websites. You will have an easier time exchanging links with a website if you have a pr4 rather then a pr0.

zytex, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  4. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good post...

enous, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  5. mjgiorgianni

mjgiorgianni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RE: What is "authority"? I'll take a look at the blog post.

If thousands of people are saying something is good and then you go check it out, and it is good, you'll probably start telling people it's good. Back links tell the search engines and then your content helps convince the search engines to start referring you.

RE: That makes a little more sense. I think I get the big picture :)

How many backlinks are considered good to get a higher PR?

6. Jaysonnhs

Jaysonnhs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good question! There is no answer that I'm aware of. PR depends on a number of different factors and the value of a link also depends on a lot of different factors.

If you get a few good links your PR will likely increase (depending on your current PR). If you have a PR0 it's easy to get a PR2 or 3 put if you have a PR5 it's difficult to get a PR6. From what I understand, PR is exponential meaning it's more difficult to get from a PR5 to a PR6 than it is to get from a PR0 to a PR5.

Don't get too hung up on PR - what you see in your green bar is never accurate and it's very, very possible to rank well for keywords with a low PR.

7. mjgiorgianni

mjgiorgianni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would using link2me be ok? Linking the link exchange websites to FreeBundles . com/links ????

Thanks,
    Michael

8. Jaysonnhs

Jaysonnhs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nah I'd stay away from link exchanges on that scale. You only want relevant links that you approve and that will help your visitors out. JMO

9. Jaysonnhs

Jaysonnhs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you just say it's hard to get relevant links with an unpopular site and then give an example of an easy way to get relevant links for an unpopular site?? :confused:

If someone wants to do link exchanges, there are tons of niche directories that do recip. link submissions. In addition, with a little hard work, you can find a few good link partners regardless of your site's PR.

10. Jaysonnhs

Jaysonnhs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm lost on the first part -

agreed

11. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks are about much more than PR. Backlinks are link votes for your site. Each one to your site tells the search engines that your site should be ranking for the search terms in the anchor text of the link. That is the value and they are worth a lot.

Stay away from link exchanges.

Web Gazelle, Mar 13, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  12. drunkonlife

drunkonlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Most people focus directly on getting external links. Remember, you can also get internal links as well as this will pass some juice to whatever page you are linking out to (on your site). And for god's sake....use the keyword you want to rank for as your anchor text.

drunkonlife, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  13. choicefreedom2000

choicefreedom2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    My dear friend
    Both are different thing Page rank and backlinks are not directly related to each other but they are related indirectly to eachother.

Your page rank depends more on the onpage factor and less on the off page factor. So if you want to increase pagerank then concentrate more on onpage but don't forget to give importance to offpage factor (Backlink)

Cool mate Enjoy

choicefreedom2000, Mar 13, 2008 IP