1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it typically take to get DMOZ listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by smoothcall6, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi,

I had a company submit some of my websites to dmoz and I was wondering how long does it typically take to get a DMOZ listing.

Thanks for your help

smoothcall6, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Long enough that you should not be worrying about it or even thinking you will get listed. Submit and forget.

swedal, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  3. Philvault

Philvault Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been trying to submit to dmoz for the past 6 months and never get listed. heheheh. Anybody got a secret formula?

Philvault, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  4. smoothcall6

smoothcall6 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok thanks for the info

smoothcall6, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How long does it take to get into Dmoz?? ([​IMG] 1 2) - 2 days old

That's the top thread in this forum under yours. That means you didn't bother to even check ANYTHING in this board before you asked your question. That is likely an indication you didn't bother with the guidelines of the ODP when you submitted either. Or am I wrong, and it's just Digital Point you are disrespecting?

Either way, read the guidelines here and you'll see that duplicate threads are not a good thing. Read the guidelines of the ODP and you'll find your answer there (which, granted, is not a very good answer).

Qryztufre, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  6. Gonzo4u

Gonzo4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep! DMOZ has a very secretive formula, which is known.... but shhhhhhh... you should not speak it loud and the secret formula is "submit and forget" :p

just kidding there is no such secret formula you follow their guidelines and research your category before submitting, keep your title short and sweet, description small and precise and finally relax and wait.

Gonzo

Gonzo4u, Mar 13, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  7. Gonzo4u

Gonzo4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, One more Tip I would like to share

i.e:
    First of all know your website and ask yourself what it is all about and what it is dealing with!
    Then do a search into DMOZ main directory for the websites similar to your website, the search phrase can be your products, services or keywords. Then from the search results note down all those websites categories in which they are listed at DMOZ, repeat this process with more searches till you are satisfied. Then from the noted results categories evaluate and compare your website to choose which category is best suited for your website and post your website in that category. While on submitting page they display about the category information meant for which sites listing. Take a pause read it carefully and think again, ask yourself "is your site suitable for this category!" and if you get the answer "YES" then go ahead and post it or else do more research by searching.

This will increase your chances in getting into DMOZ.

Gonzo

Gonzo4u, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  8. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't hold your breath.

MattL, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  9. Goran Giertz

Goran Giertz Peon

Best Answers:
    I been waiting 18 months.

Goran Giertz, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  10. ihav.net

ihav.net Member

Best Answers:
    9 months..... still waiting

ihav.net, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  11. thenetfool

thenetfool Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just tried to apply for an editor position. I don't see how many people could be more qualified in the "stock quotes" section.. but REJECTED! nonetheless :(

thenetfool, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  12. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    Waiting in the DOZ que now for 17 months on 4 of my sites.Just submit it and forget it.

SFOD_D223, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @thenetfool: You may well be right about your qualifications but did you not read the reviewer comments towards the bottom of the email? They are pretty clear as to why your first application was declined and give advice on what you need to do if you decide to apply again.

I'll not repeat them here but there's nothing preventing you from doing so :D.

jimnoble, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    What qualifies you as an expert in "stock quotes", isn't neccessarily what will qualify you to be an editor. :D

The honesty and integrity should be there, and looks like you have good writing skills, but did you read the editing guidelines and application instructions and follow them? Everything is there for a reason.

crowbar, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

According to some, the guidelines are secondary to unique content, so reading them, or at least following them is shaky. As for honesty & integrity, then that too is suspect by the actions of MANY editors on this forum. And if the sampling here is any idication of the rest of the bunch, then it does stand to reason, that those two virtues are lacking in many areas.

If honesty and integrity were parts of the codes of conduct, then there would be no tip toeing on eggshells on the sig links of all the editors saying they are not spokesmen for the directory. If they only spoke honestly and with integrity there would be no need for such disclaimers!

Qryztufre, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  16. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please don't jump to false conclusions you guys and then extrapolate from them. That would be really shaky.

You don't know the circumstances and, unless thenetfool posts the email, you won't.

jimnoble, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's true, you've actually seen the application, and know the circumstances.

crowbar, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  18. onlinedating

onlinedating Member

Best Answers:
    I've been waiting five years... still no listing. And that's for an online magazine that has 1,300+ pages of original content, paid writers, paid cartoonist, tens of thousands of unique visitors, etc. We're often quoted on TV, radio, and in national newspapers and are referred to as a "consumer watchdog group" for our industry.

From the first submission in 2003 to my average of one submission a year since, there's been no listing to show for it. I even emailed a category editor once who said it should be in and he'd get right on it... nothing.

But life goes on and it's important to keep making your Website the best in your industry. If you do that, then your dmoz frustration will turn to glee when you see that you can still rank high in Google, even without a dmoz listing.

Good luck!

onlinedating, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You are likely banned as a spammer now because they allow you to contact editors because they don't want you too....no wait, that can't be right.

Good advice to follow, and I am glad you are doing just that.

Qryztufre, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  20. onlinedating

onlinedating Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Qryztufre. Even with our success, high rankings, and media coverage, it would still be nice to be in dmoz or at least have someone from dmoz contact us to help find out what is going on.

Right now it seems to be black and white - people who get listed love them. People who don't get listed hate them. It would be nice to have some gray area of understanding why certain listings aren't approved. Yes, there is the standard pages as to why it MIGHT not have been approved, but in our case none of those apply. Five years... long time to wait! :)

But for those that don't get listed - don't give up. Double up your marketing efforts and, more importantly, the quality of your Website. It's well worth it. You can still rank high, even without a dmoz listing.

onlinedating, Mar 20, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.