1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Testing against IE8 Beta - What the hell people?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by deathshadow, Mar 12, 2008.

I'm seeing a lot of people testing against the BETA just as they did with the IE7 Beta's and once again recoding their sites against it... and once again this is WRONG.

Why is recoding your site against the beta wrong? Because that's not what a beta is for. What you should be doing is testing a standards compliant page AGAINST it, then REPORTING the bugs you find in it's rendering to Microsoft. The whole point of a beta is to find bugs in the software and fix them - NOT to debug the document said software is rendering - if you have code that renders correctly in Opera, FF, and Safari, there is no reason that IE8 FINAL shouldn't render the page just fine unless you are using the WRONG/Invalid/buggy code in the first place or used some stupid browser specific hack that's messing it up and M$ didn't plan against moving forward.

Because frankly, if you are NOT reporting any bugs here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback

You have NO ******* BUSINESS bitching about bugs in the Beta... or even downloading/installing the beta.

What part of Beta do people NOT understand? You want IE8 not to suck, get off your ass and REPORT your bugs in the right place - and at least unlike bugzilla said bugs MIGHT actually be addressed without the condescending attitude or calling the problem a feature.

deathshadow, Mar 12, 2008 IP
    twistedspikes likes this.
  2. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The beta's out? Thought it wasn't going to be until May...or was that the time I read when they expected it to be finished by? Probably the latter.

Anyway, I totally agree with you on this one.
    Most people shouldn't even be downloading the beta version of browsers.

twistedspikes, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  3. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's been out for a few days now. drhowarddrfine broke the news on SitePoint the day it became available.

Dan Schulz, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  4. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I should probably join sitepoint. I hear people go on about it quite a bit.

twistedspikes, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  5. VimF

VimF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Guys on my MSN keep sending links to this news many times but I haven't even visited any of the news page. I think I'm going to wait until the Final version, have no business to debug it so there's no point to install a buggy piece of software.

And well... no comment for the people who are recoding their sites against it...

VimF, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  6. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    My husband got it and checks stuff in it. I recently did a "fake frames" page where I decided to go ahead and do hacks for IE5.5 and Opera (the Opera one was only for looks (removing a scrollbar it will never use) and because I've never hacked for it before and it was kinda fun)... and asked my husband how it looked on his machine.

He's like, it looks bad in IE. I said well my Tredosofts are showing it fine. Then he's like, it added a horizontal scrollbar and I'm looking all over what can be causing this, and then he's like, o, IE8 beta. Pshshshsh waste of my time! I don't expect IE8 to be adding scrollbars where no other browser including IE5.5, 6 and 7 don't.

On the other hand I'm tempted to get it as a standalone download when it's almost not beta anymore cause I keep hearing that it's going to be built-in with the next Windows version which I don't plan on spending a gazillion euros to buy.

I still go online to look up if IE7 supports a particular thing and teh googles is unfortunately full with all the sites who said that "IE7 beta doesn't do this and doesn't do that and no hover and no combinators blah blah" and the final version had all those fixed. People blogged so much about IE7 and now that info is outdated and should be pushed to the bottom of teh googles.

And Jamesicus broke it here too.

Stomme poes, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    See, tredo's under *nix are USELESS for evaluating code for IE for one simple reason - FREETYPE. *nix does not use the same font renderer and thering your layouts if relying on the width of the fonts will usually break BADLY.

Working in *nix as JUST *nix is just not viable for most development, you'd be better served booting an actual copy of XP under VMWare or Parallels - because running them through WINE is really pointless. (Which is part of why I don't bother even trying to use Linux or OSX for development even though I have both readily available - it's just not suited to the task)

deathshadow, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  8. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, I gots Fake IE64Linux on the *nix box but the Tredo's are on the Windows machine (which stays at work, so I don't always have access to it)... though I'm not sure what I'm getting for fonts cause I downloaded Cooper Black for a test and set it in the folder with all the other fonts and the browsers apparently aren't checking that folder...

This screen gets dimmer every day so the plan is indeed to get another notebook (hopefully with XP otherwise Vista doesn't work well with VMWare or at all yet), keep the license and have Ubuntu as the main OS and run 'blows like a program.

But that's later or never, depending on when this machine dies and how long XP is available at non-assrape prices (I expect the price to rise as demand increases for XP while supplies dwindle.

Stomme poes, Mar 13, 2008 IP