1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing ideas

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by DarrenC, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm sure the experienced marketeers amongst this forum have heard this question time after time but here goes;

... how do you get companies to advertise on your website?

See I told you so!

Let me elaborate a little, I run a popular holiday website, which at it's peak in January receives approx 80,000 unique visitors, these visitors are holidaymakers in the UK, Europe, US etc and are looking for holiday property to rent.

Every day (and I'm not exaggerating!) I receive emails from holidaymakers asking where the best deals are for flights, for car hire etc and I end up sending out an email with some URL's.

SO I thought, why not take advantage and set up a 'Travel Shop' where companies can advertise on our site, and provide holidaymakers with a better online experience.

Excellent idea I thought... but I have telephoned, emailed, and only two companies have signed up in over four months...

Help!

Darren :)

p.s I have thought about Adsense, not sure about that yet.

DarrenC, May 27, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    AdSense is probably the easiest route... you don't have to get relationships with individual advertisers, and the payout generally is higher per click than a private deal.

digitalpoint, May 27, 2004 IP
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    You can also join an affiliate network like Commission Junction, where you choose advertisers and advertisements from a huge selection.

Then, just choose travel-related advertisers.

More data at: What are affiliate programs?

Will.Spencer, May 27, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... that works too. We use lots of Commission Junction ads as AdSense alternate ads.

digitalpoint, May 27, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Assuming your site has decent PR value you should be able to sell text links off the site at anywhere between $10 and $25 per month per link.

compar, May 27, 2004 IP
  6. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your comments everyone!

I'll check out the affiliate section, and see what I can find out - with regard to PR, it's up and down like a see-saw at the moment, the actual Travel Shop page was PR5, is now only PR4.

I can see another day link building coming up!

p.s. my reasons to contact companies direct is because 1) sometimes it's best to have a contact, and liaise with them if they have special offers which can be posted in our newsletter and 2) If large companies advertise with us, it improves our company profile to visitors.

DarrenC, May 27, 2004 IP
  7. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go ahead and set up your shop/recommended sites/whatever and list a few companies for a week. Then pull the links and e-mail them. Give them a taste of what they will be missing if they say no....

P.S. Hi Darren!

Bernard, May 27, 2004 IP
  8. JamesW

JamesW Peon

Best Answers:
    If people are visiting your web site for genuine independent advice then you've got to be careful that you don't compromise this trust in you by providing links/adverts to places that you wouldn't normally recommend.

In this case I would recommend using AdSense.

Cheers

James

JamesW, May 28, 2004 IP
  9. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi,

have a look at the signature domain it may give you some ideas.
    There is also propriatry content that is syndicated like who flies where and taxi DB's etc.
    Send me a PM if you are interested maybe we can do something together.

Also once a year there is the WTM in London - mandatory for everyone in travel.
    M

expat, May 28, 2004 IP
  10. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Expat - I'll have a look at the website in more detail this evening, but it looks like some of your content could be useful to use especially where flights, and who fly's where is concerned.

I've been to the WTM for the past two years, and I'm sure I'll be heading that way again this year! (for those not sure what I'm talking about the WTM is the 'World Travel Mart' which takes place in a different country every month. It's a BIG event for travel companies, and it's even better if you manage to get hold of some 'first day' passes with free food and beverages included! :D

Hi Bernard - I'm not following you around from forum to forum.. honest :p

Good idea about putting the links, to the type of companies who I would want to be listed with, and then contact them with a link.

Thanks everyone.. some useful guidance here!

DarrenC, May 28, 2004 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be one of the reasons why I might not choose Adsense, because I don't have control on the companies listed (well I do but it takes a lot of messing around!) where if I contact companies who I know are reputable and offer a good service, with good rates then I feel more comfortable referring people to them.

DarrenC, May 28, 2004 IP
  12. JamesW

JamesW Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you make it clear that the AdSense web sites are sponsorships then there won't be a problem.

Cheers

James

JamesW, May 28, 2004 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    It's been my experience that Google is pretty good about watching Adwords advertisers. Maybe that's my bad for being too trusting in Google, but I have never heard a complaint about any of the ads on any of my sites.

GuyFromChicago, May 28, 2004 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Nor have I. I feel they do a great job with the program- easily the best I can see having for on a forum or dynamic pages.

schlottke, May 28, 2004 IP
  15. steve sardell

steve sardell Peon

Best Answers:
    I am in aggreement with James W. Once you begin charging for your rec your credibility automatically will be questioned by your site visitor. In their minds will be the question are you simply advertising them for the money or is it a true unbiased rec. You can do a combo of both, a resource section of unsolicited recs and adsense for revenue

steve sardell, May 28, 2004 IP
  16. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe not use Adsense. If you say "these links are adverts" then less people are likely to click on them.

I like sites which when talking about a certain subject, provide you links to buy/look at in detail the product they were talking about.

I'd go back and look at who you can contact. Perhaps stick with the "online stores" rather than "high street" based ones...

misohoni, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  17. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    I agree on that totally :)

Foxy, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  18. sarahwrites

sarahwrites Peon

Best Answers:
    What about posting your offer on Craiglist?

sarahwrites, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  19. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    If you could only get two companies to sign up, could it be because that you did only a couple of thousand hits a day?

Could it also be that your site isn't appealing?

I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there.

Perry Rose, Feb 8, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.