1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google and New Site Design - What to consider before uploading?

Discussion in 'Google' started by devs, Mar 12, 2008.

Hi all I've just redesigned a new site for a local hotel and am about to upload it to there server. I'm just worried that in doing so I my effect there Google listing/ranking?

They are currently a PR3.

What should I consider? Is it worth changing all the new html file, title names meta data to reflect the old version of the site?

Any help would be great as I would hate to screw up there listing.

Cheers,

Devs.

P.S. It may be worth pointing out that there current listing when displayed on Google appears in the standard format then below. it Has the following...

Location to the weddings page
    to the special offers page to the dining page
    to the leisure page

devs, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  2. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the site old, then I suggest you use the same title, description etc that the old pages had.

angilina, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  3. devs

devs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks - the site was first listed in 2001. Someone has mentioned a 301 redirect? Is this something that I should do or will it simply retain its listings if I mirror the old and new file names page titles and meta data?

Thanks,

Devs.

devs, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  4. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    You can pass the Juice to new pages using SEO Redirect. If you are changing the URL's !!

dpking, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the file names are exactly the same you don't need to 301 as that would just create a never ending loop.

If you change file names you have to 301 them. Make sure none of the pages on the site are giving 404 errors (check all pages in the domain using the site:theirsite.com command in Google).

mad4, Mar 12, 2008 IP
    e10 likes this.
  6. Terrible Terry

Terrible Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    You absolutely MUST do 301 redirects for each and every page of the old site vectoring to the new site. and appropriate page.
    If you do not the second site will be seen as duplication and not only by Google.
    The effect would not hurt the PR of the old site but it will hurt the new site badly.

Terrible Terry, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  7. devs

devs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Guy I'm confused with the conflicting reports :confused:

The new site will just be uploaded and will overwrite the old sites files. Will this still require a 301?

Many thanks,

Devs.

devs, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the old page is www.website.com/contact.html and you overwrite the file then you don't need to do a 301. If you did then you would be redirecting contact.html to contact.html which creates an infinite loop.

mad4, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  9. devs

devs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mad4 I understand, thanks mate - I'm just a little hesitant because of Terry's comments above.

Cheers,

Devs.

devs, Mar 12, 2008 IP