1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pros and Cons of Arcade sites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by jackandjerry, Mar 11, 2008.

Hi, Dear arcade webmasters,

There are so many new arcade sites popping up on the net everyday, I just don't understand with the fierce competition in the online arcade world...why do you still want to become an arcade(s)' webmaster?? and so.......

What are the pros(good things) and cons(bad things) of having online arcade sites???

Here's the ranking in both good things and bad things:

good things: 1)don't know 2 don't know 3 don't know

bad things: 1)LOW CPC 2)low cpc 3)low cpccccccccccc

jackandjerry, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  2. weasel

weasel Peon

Best Answers:
    good thing is mate. there is a huge amount of traffic out there for arcade sites.

if your getting a low cpc them use a cpm programe simple that was most of us do.

the competetion makes us better

Thanks anthony

weasel, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I was on an occult forum that for the better part changed ownership. The new owner added in an arcade and the memberbase would have NONE of it, as shortly there after a flood of gamers came in to take the high scores and to troll in the forum proper. It hardly lasted a month before the new owner pulled the system in favor of the actual theme of the site... DISCUSSION.

While this may not actually be what you were talking about, as the site was not really an arcade, simply adding an arcade, can, in a way harm the main site, dependent upon it's theme and active (current) member base.

Qryztufre, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  4. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most arcade sites are built with this in mind: To sell them off.

By the way, can anyone show me a few good arcade sites that have been around for years? Coz I don't mind popping in and playing a few games, lol.

Reviewz, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  5. jackandjerry

jackandjerry Peon

Best Answers:
    so are you saying that arcade sites only for 3-4 years and then dead.....??

6. toycat

toycat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i know sites such as miniclip and addicting games have been around for years (4+)

I wonder the same thing, must just be ads ;)

toycat, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  7. jackandjerry

jackandjerry Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean the arcade niche is one of the lowest paying cpc niches in the cpc industry.omg

8. AffiliateThink

AffiliateThink Peon

Best Answers:
    Pro: Good if youre creative and can come up with something original

Con: Supersaturated market

AffiliateThink, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  9. tigermedia_ca

tigermedia_ca Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good question and good discussion as I have briefly thought about buying into an arcade website from time to time. In the end it comes down to providing something different (which is what I always say) and if you're just adding games available on 20,000 other websites, then you're not adding anything at all.

With that said, if anyone's selling, I'm interested in taking a look and learning more.

tigermedia_ca, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  10. RoboLlama

RoboLlama Peon

Best Answers:
    As a current owner of an arcade and past owner of an arcade I guess I can contribute a few things to this.

Pros:
    Easy to Setup
    Easy to add content (games)
    Has good viral spreading power (word of mouth or social networking if you get a good game on your site)

Cons:
    Low CPC
    Saturated Market
    Can be very hard to get an initial pump of traffic

RoboLlama, Mar 11, 2008 IP
    argothiusz likes this.
  11. On point

On point Peon

Best Answers:
    newgrounds.com

They have been around a long time. The site is one of the best imo

On point, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  12. jackandjerry

jackandjerry Peon

Best Answers:
    How much traffic do I need to get $5/day in revenue?? I can't use Yahoo Publisher network as ads because I live in Canada so What ad network should I use to maximize my profits?

13. bscdesign.com

bscdesign.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have owned arcades for over 2 years. My biggest one makes $5-$12 per day. So far I have found out many things.

Pros:
    - Most the arcades out their are either abandoned, the webmaster doesn't do much of anything to make it grow, or they don't know at all how to.
    - Huge number of potential users
    - People come back day after day even to play the same games. unlike blogs where they read it once and then wait for the next post.
    - Super viral via word of mouth, social bookmarking, and if you sponsor a great game SCORE!
    - Easy to set up and easy to add content one at a time or in large amounts

Cons:
    - Very low CPC
    - Saturated niche even with what was said in the pros
    - Many CPM networks have much, much higher and sometimes double the requirements for accepting arcades and won't ever admit it
    - Hard to get the boost in the beginning that you need without spending a reasonable amount of money
    - SEO is crazy hard unless you do some things I will mention below

Some things that will help you out a lot but take more time than you may like are:
    - Add your own unique descriptions to every game on your site. The longer the better for SEO.
    - Make your own game icons so you look different.
    - Add a new game at least once a week and let your users know you do this so they will come back looking for it.
    - Don't use the scripts default design even if you have to make you own crappy one.
    - Make sure everything is readable and don't use too many bright colors. Also stay away from very bright and very dark colors in the same design.
    - Make use of your scripts ad rotators. Equally rotate the same 3 different ad networks in each of your ad spots. Then after 2 weeks see which one made you the most in each spot. Then keep the best preforming ones in each spot and signup for 2 more networks and add the to the rotation in place of the lower performing ones. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then experiment with CPC, CPM, and CPA.

I hope this was very informative, like I am sure it was for both new and old arcade webmasters.

bscdesign.com, Mar 12, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre and spiritfly like this.
  14. advoor

advoor Peon

Best Answers:
    Pro: Once its established, you can let it work itself - one of my old arcade sites which I haven't touched for nearly a year still averages around 100 - 200 uniques a day, although this aint that much to be honest.

Con: Hell of a lot of work to do to get it the initial players though, but can be easy if you know how to do it right.

advoor, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  15. jackandjerry

jackandjerry Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone making $xxxx/month from one arcade site?

jackandjerry, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  16. argothiusz

argothiusz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pro: Easy to get traffic, easy to manage and instant result
    Cons: Low earning and lots of bandwidth wasted

argothiusz, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  17. nuruddeen710

nuruddeen710 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im currently weighing to buy a gamesite script.. but this niche is too saturated for my linking. Anyways, you still can make money in a saturated niche if you know how to be unique.

nuruddeen710, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  18. nuruddeen710

nuruddeen710 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you.. the are lot of batter things to do than waste your bandwith with a arcade site.

nuruddeen710, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  19. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Meh, I don't know. One of my arcades' makes around $400 per month, and another $600. They require absolutely no attention to run.

I don't think anyone actually "wants" to be an arcade webmaster. It's just scripts are so easy to get and run. Also they make great examples for people to learn from.

Pro's: I think the pro is an arcade is so much more easier than another type of site. you can get links easy, exchanges, there is like 20 different ways of profit comming in, traffic is easy to get, etc.

Cons: The con is no matter how good your arcade is doing it can easily just flop for no reason, rankings go down, revenue and traffic going down. The competition is a little crazy.

Laceygirl, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  20. jackandjerry

jackandjerry Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, gravetzt

You made a fortunate from your arcade sites!!! Keep up the good work

jackandjerry, Mar 13, 2008 IP