1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

African-Americans

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ncz_nate, Mar 11, 2008.

I flipped through 3 news channels today and within 1 minute of each they all mentioned the "African-American" vote. Wait a minute, what's an african american?

Is that somebody who is visiting America from Africa or is a first generation immigrant to America? Oh, they're not? Oh, it's just skin color they're talking about? So basically, black people. The word everyone is afraid to say. B-L-A-C-K people. The media covers up what they're trying to beat in your head by dressing it nicely. But African-American isn't even politically correct, and is actually more offensive to BLACK people than the phrase BLACK people. That's like calling me a European-American, as if I somehow am not 100% American? Looks like someone's getting cheated out on.

Why does the media have to report every fact about race anyhow? Are there also statistics for Australian, Asian, European and South American descendants? And what about mixed breeds, why do they never get any coverage?

If you're going to be stereotypical or classify all people in one group, then at least be realistic about it and not act like BLACK people aren't fully American.

What say you?

ncz_nate, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  2. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    guerilla, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  3. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you look at demographics african americans are not the only group to be reported, and it is significant, from a statistical point of view since often behaviours are different, that doesn't mean that they are good or not, but they are different, in many cases, it's just reality.

I'm far from being racist, but I am also far from denying the truth.

And there are differences not only based on race, theres' age, education, income, not to mention religion, which nowadays is a much bigger concern than it prob used to be during the cold war...

uca, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  4. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    African immigrants play into it bigtime.

bogart, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'v always had a problem with this term. Firstly, Not all Africans are black and secondly not all black people are African. The term makes no sense on any level.

stOx, Mar 11, 2008 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  6. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    How about this term the media keep throwing around..."Racially Charged"

Annoying as hell. WTF does this mean??? Are we having LA riots again?

Can we just initiate a vote to destroy all televisions and television stations? They really serve no purpose anymore, and just have a 99% negative influence.

webwork, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  7. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree wholeheartedly!

I never could understand why we have the term "African American". Either you are African or you are American, how can you be both?

I mean none of us were originally from America (Except maybe the Native American "Indians"). If we have African Americans then we also have Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, French Americans, Greek Americans etc etc etc.

kentuckyslone, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  8. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  9. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats my point - we are all immigrants here (US)

kentuckyslone, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  10. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ease of classification ? Statistical group ?

The media likes to lump us into "groups". Like "working women" vote for hilary

As long as we are interested in statistics, we all will be split into statistical groups.

lightless, Mar 12, 2008 IP