1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Python have any good web applications?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by tesla, Feb 21, 2006.

I was playing around with Python last night, and it seems like an interesting programming language. I'm thinking about studying more. Does anyone hear no if there are any good web applications for this programming language?

tesla, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  2. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    I beleave Google's web interface is in Python.

gemini, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  3. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    tflight, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  4. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really like using Python. I tried using Java, but I got annoyed when I pulled up the MS-DOS Command prompt. Python is sweet.

I played with it before, and wrote a small program which automatically converted Celsius temperatures into Fahrenheit. I'm intersted in programming games.

tesla, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  5. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Python is awesome..I will compare it with Java. Have many gui building API's like PyQT and wxpython. If you know basic level programming than it is one of the fastest language to learn though you may find difficult to understand some OOPS concept but that shouldn't come if you are just looking to build webinterface. I prefers to do CGI programming in python rather than perl :)

Plone is completely build in python.

poseidon, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  6. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Zope and Plone are Python based ... now that is powerfull

iatbm, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  7. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    I love python too... But it has terrible documentation and not many good sources of learning. So i have struggled. I can't find a good use for it yet, but i know its really fun to learn and do stuff with it.

For web though i'd rather get something where hosts can actually use it. Because a lot of servers dont have python in it. Python is an awesome language though, maybe i will find an incredibly good use for it sometime soon.

execute, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  8. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't even bother looking at a host that doesn't have at least decent python support. Zope and plone options get expensive, but I'd rather do CGI with python than, say, a PHP CMS.

I also haven't had any problems with their documentation. The basic introductory tutorial taught me pretty much everything I needed to know in an afternoon, and their module documentation has been perfect for looking up details. (Though I still have to google any time I mess with list comprehensions, just because I don't use them much). I've found people on #python and comp.lang.python to be extremely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable.

I think it's an excellent choice for a wide variety of programming needs. Web apps included.

jimrthy, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  9. daniah

daniah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well....the google bot is written in python
    not only its powerful but also has a lower learning curve than other low level programming languages like C++

daniah, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  10. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont understand what you mean daniah. Lower learning curve? Are you implying that the source code of Googlebot is available for free? (sorry i am not aware of this, but i somehow doubt it).

basically i love python, but i cannot find a way to use it efficiently. Like in PHP its well documented with lots of really powerful functions right in front of you. I find the python documentation not as good as the php.net one... i dunno maybe im just too use to the php.net one. But there are no great sites about it with specific tutorials on how to make a certain program with python.

execute, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  11. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Err..."other" low level programming languages?

I can think of a few (though not many) higher level languages than python. But I don't think I've ever heard (except here) python called a "low level language." Maybe I just mis-read what you were writing?

jimrthy, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  12. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    What are you trying to do? Maybe I could point you to some resources, or maybe there are just tons of web developers out there who aren't "getting" what python can do.

Maybe we should take this off-forum and set up a site that serves people like you. (Niche market? Of course, by posting this here, I expect at least a dozen websites to appear tomorrow).

jimrthy, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  13. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    it would be a great niche... because there is absolutely no website, that has nice tutorials, quality ones, which teach you what python modules are, python programming is done, or how to integrate it with GTK, or python web development, i mean sure i know how to make a python website on my localhost, and have some "print" commands and OS commands to get some server variables, but no tutorial like.... how to make an upload script with PYthon, how to make a Win32 text editor with python...

I can't even find that sorta stuff for C/C++, only PHP has good sites and websites like that, it's flooded with them.

If there are such websites, and im blind... its because of google. Perhaps this bigdaddy update has thrown all these good websites to the back pages or something. I tried searching for such sites to come up with small tutorial sites saying "how to make a loop".... damnit i know how to make a loop i've been programming for years... i just don't know the functions in python that are just not known. Even if i look at the documentation and see those functions i wouldn't know their real purpose or how to use them.

execute, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  14. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    You know, you have a point. I didn't have any luck looking for that sort of tutorials either. Maybe if we think about it long and hard enough, someone else will pick up the vibe and do it for us. (I really don't have time to do this just now).

jimrthy, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  15. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    if i could learn it fast.. i would do it myself ... but its a paradox!!! if i cant learn it either how can i make the site for it.... aaaaaaaaaaa mind bottling lol.

execute, Mar 5, 2006 IP