1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats your opioion of people selling $5 logos?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by sweetcrabhoney18, Mar 7, 2008.

Hi there!

I noticed while looking around this form many people sale logos for $5 and may be up to $20. But some designers don't think thats fair... I've seen ads on CRAIGSLIST selling logos for $750! What do you all think? What is a fair price for a person to pay for a logo? How many revisions? What about exsperience?

Just curious!

Thanks

sweetcrabhoney18, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  2. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've spoken to a professional web designer
    and they say the minimum a designer should charge for a logo is £40, for someone who is NOT that experienced.

I personally think it depends on what the logo is for.
    If it's for a company it should be £100 +

if it's just for someone's website then £35 +

the contests offer low prices to be honest.....
    alot of ripping designers off going on here

ShadyLady, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  3. humanedited

humanedited Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought a $10 logo from a DP member once just because I was pressed for time. It was awful so I didn't even use it and ended up making time to do it myself. The "designer" didn't listen to any of my recommendations (or supplied font) and just sent me a jpg of my website name written in white Arial and placed a really cheap piece of clipart beside it. You get what you pay for.

When you are dealing with a real design firm, you can make revisions, will receive colour and B&W (or greyscale) copies, get a vector copy and of course, they will make sure that you get what you want.

The city I live in paid $40 000 for a complete rebranding of their logo and slogan. That's a little excessive but I guess it's easy to take advantage of some corporations.

humanedited, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  4. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree.. You get what you pay for.. I honestly don't like it when wannabe designers sale things for cheap. I sale my logos for $25 and sometimes have a sale of maybe $10 or $5 logos.. but I don't have anyone saying they look cheap or anything. Some people just want to make money.. not help customers. Graphic design isn't easy.. for me it's more like fun than work. I can't imagine paying $40,000 for a silly logo.. it better come with a website and store front.. lol!

sweetcrabhoney18, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Active Member

Best Answers:
    $5 is ONLY £2.50
    that's bull!

The minimum I would charge is probably £10 going up :)

ShadyLady, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  6. LittleJonSupportSite

LittleJonSupportSite Peon

Best Answers:
    You should ,look at this more as hourly rate versus flat fee on a logo.

As a designer I typically charge 50.00/hr on gfx work.

Programming jobs I draw up a contract and typically live by a deposit rule depending on the customer.

So basically put a value on your time.

Then simple math:

hours * rate = cost

LittleJonSupportSite, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  7. yakabod

yakabod Peon

Best Answers:
    What sucks about hourly work is, how do we really know they are spending all that time to work on the logo? Will they video themselves the whole time to show proof that they are actually working on the logo?

yakabod, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  8. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    for quality logos as the ones shown at http://logopond.com are at least $40 hour but for the Dp designer were most of them are nothing but text logos then anything under $100 is fine it only takes a few min anyway.

Solid_Nuts, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  9. AngelaR

AngelaR Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally I have done the $3.00 / logos for a few people on DP. I know I am a talented designer and that price is VERY low for the quality of the designs. However, it is nice publicity, and also allows you to create a nice client base with recurring customers in the future. Just imagine with a great quality $3.00 logo, imagine what they could get for $50.00. Get my drift? ;)

AngelaR, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  10. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I usually charge $20 - $30 for mine, i know i should charge higher, i think at LEAST $50.

But on forums like this, there are just too many people going around trying to get the cheapest they can find no matter on quality. I like to think of mine at relatively affordable yet still quality work.

mitcharr, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  11. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A $5 logo is ridiculous. Anyone willing to pay $5 is probably not interested in anything too fancy. Well, anyone in their right mind I meant.

tercede, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  12. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Active Member

Best Answers:

that benefits THEM (not you!)

U gotta think about yourself when doing this kind of stuff.
    U gotta charge what is best for you;

$3 for a logo. Wow that is damn cheap.
    Your hard work and effort gone into it, the clients are happy but its not a good earning for you.

Even, if you ain't so bothered about the money, you're a designer. Don't get ripped off.

ShadyLady, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  13. dizzeh

dizzeh Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't been doing designs for money until about half a year ago, although I've been designing for years. It took me hours through many days and sometimes still does to execute some of my clients works and I got only about 20 dollars for it. I don't mind so much -- my life doesnt require me to make money off of designing, so I take the money as an extra.

Obviously, I'd take the 50 over the 10 dollar offer though :p

dizzeh, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  14. BunnyB

BunnyB Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me take it a step further. A $99 logo is ridiculous. A truly good professional logo will run in the $XXX at a bare minimum. Someone who knows design and has experience creating logos will spend many hours brainstorming, creating, and developing a kick-butt logo. And that time doesn't come with a $10-an-hour price tag.

Can you get a good logo for less than $XXX? Certainly, if you're really lucky. Do you have to pay $XX,XXX? Only if you're a Fortune 500 company. But anyone who charges less than a few hundred is suspect, in my opinion. Unless they're just really, really generous with their time. :)

BunnyB, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  15. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    in life one thing I've learned is you get what you pay for.

5$ logo is probably worth 5$. If you want a professional logo, you pay a professional price.

innovati, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  16. wyattt

wyattt Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen some pretty nice work done for $5-$10 at this forum, sometimes even free. However, if you're looking to be really professional with your website/business, it's totally worth it to invest in a professional designer's work. If you're running a small site, and other people are happy with the designer's work, than why not pay $5 for a decent logo?

wyattt, Mar 8, 2008 IP
    terminator69 likes this.
  17. dhunmaari

dhunmaari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone has right to sell their work for the amount his/her wants.I think the newbies are understanding the price as it have affects to the professionals designer.So need to be manage and monitor the prices of the transaction,then only can fixed with a standard.

dhunmaari, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  18. benetonas123

benetonas123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes.... you right

benetonas123, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  19. ipoor

ipoor Peon

Best Answers:
    for 5$ i can do something in paint i won't open corel draw and photoshop for 5$

ipoor, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  20. designexpert

designexpert Guest

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, the work of a good designer should be way over $100, but then in the tradition of DP forums, being hijacked by wannabe snobs with no more meaning to logos than web2.0 which in their dictionary is plain text with reflection and clipart..... , $5 is what you pay, and $1 worth of work is what you get [might be a few exceptions...]

a while ago i started a thread for $100 logos [out >here<] and lol you can check out the number of responses...

but then again i did do around 50free logos just for fun ^_^

designexpert, Mar 9, 2008 IP