1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating Wordpress Themes in Gimp?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by pipes, Mar 8, 2008.

Firstly i cant afford photoshop :eek: so its out of the question for me, so gimp after asking about it here recently seems the choice for me.

Im going to be a complete beginner with it but id like to know of any of you that use gimp for creating wordpress themes? im going to be a beginner at creating wordpress themes too, you may be asking why challenge myself with them both as a beginner, but ive often found the best way for me learning is to get involved with something that will give a complete result, rather than just messing around with a few small tutorials and not aiming towards anything.

If you have any suggestions for related tutorials (dont worry, im looking myself also) il be glad of them.

pipes, Mar 8, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  2. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gimp and wordpress is definitely doable. You can pretty much do similar things in gimp as in photoshop.

tercede, Mar 8, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  3. marko_kidblogger

marko_kidblogger Banned

Best Answers:
    There are torrents dude. No one can't afford it! be sure of that! Anyway I think that you can't create themes with gimp because you'll need to save them as a psd file which only photoshop can. But try. Any software that can read layers can create it! The only thing I'm not sure is that gimp can save psd files.

marko_kidblogger, Mar 8, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  4. tercede

Best Answers:
    The thread starter stated that gimp was the chosen solution. You do not need to save to .psd to make wordpress themes. That is just preference.

tercede, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks tercede, its pleasing to know that a decent alternative is capable of a fair amount, without the price.

Thanks marko_kidblogger, il have a look and see if gimp has that restriction.

pipes, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  6. tercede

Best Answers:
    The best resource out there is probably the biggest gimp community. You might want to venture over there:
    http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/board.php

I used to use gimp and they know just about everything. If they don't know it, good luck finding it elsewhere other than the gimp creators themselves!

tercede, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks tercede, il check that out, much appreciated.

pipes, Mar 8, 2008 IP