1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Defamation and Freedom of Speech

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Skribblez, Mar 5, 2006.

With freedom of speech, there is ofcourse the issue of defamation. The question is: Can I use my freedom of speech to make a website displaying TRUE facts about a company, which may cause loss (sales, etc.) on their side, but is not intentional on my side.

For example: I go to a school that has teachers that indirectly encourages students to take drugs. Now I want to make a website exposing the truth about the teachers.

Would you call that defamation? Or would that be my freedom of speech?

Just been wondering.. thanks in advance :) Hopefully I'll learn some new things.. ;)

Skribblez, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The truth shall set you free. :)

RectangleMan, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  3. dj1471

dj1471 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not defamation if what you're saying is true; but that doesn't mean you won't get sued anyway...

Your profile says you're in Australia: here's an Australian guide to defamation which you may find useful.

dj1471, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Only if you can prove it. ;)

mcfox, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  5. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    First I'm not a lawyer, just manage to get in trouble too much. :D

Free speech, as in the 1st amendment only protects you from government intervention. But then talk to the DNC protesters treatment in Boston. (http://greaterboston.tv/features/gb_20040622_dnc.html) It however does NOTHING to protect you from civil lawsuits, and private actions.

If a crime was committed, your public exposure can help that teacher(s) from ever being convicted. You need to submit your information to the police, not Digg. ;)

Freedom of Speech, protects speech, not stupid conduct. If you conduct yourself like a boob, then expect not only civil problems, but also criminal. Not saying what can happen to you will, but if you don't do what is right, meaning, you violate school conduct rules, interfere with a current police investigation, or slander(this libel) someone, you are doomed.

Remember, my post, and its contents are based on my personal experiences, I am not a lawyer. Seek professional advice.

later,

tom

TommyD, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  6. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Not to beat you up, labrocca, but this quote is taken SO out of context.

The truth in this quote, isn't you telling lies, it's you believing in them. Once you give up listening to lies, you will listen to the truth, and truth is salvation. The Truth, is that Jesus the Christ is your only salvation, and only way until the father. All else is lies. John 8:32 (KJV) "And Ye Shall Know The Truth, And The Truth Shall Make You Free"

So were you preaching to him?

;)

TommyD, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I guess it is Sunday afterall. :rolleyes: Room for a bit of evangelism, I suppose. :)

mcfox, Mar 5, 2006 IP