1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What ever happened to Alive directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by indyguidedotinfo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    they are still alive just as not active as before.Their traffic is still there.

xc06, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Probably as a result of this thread.

JamieG, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  3. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if, then I'd say he's wise man and businessman, I never doubt it.

If treating directories as business I do not see any reason to put too much attention to something that no longer promise profitable future.

dargre, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  4. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am glad some of this directories got burned by google - some of them too big for their boots and the worlds moved on.

ronmac, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    Some still earn well with this. I wonder for how long.

hyper, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone selling links will most likely not survive long.

Folks who are building a reference site with advertising have a much rosier future.

YMC, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  7. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I certainly can't speak specifically for Chris. But I think that there is another, rarely mentioned, reason that some of the veteran directory owners have departed DP. That is, the increase in flaming. Discussions seem to have turned more ad hominem in recent months. That's the very reason that, just today, I left General Chat out of my subscribed forums. Why visit a website (DP) dedicated to professional webmastering only to get belittled and occasionally cussed at in certain forums? I'm saddened that some of the veteran directory owners have left DP, but I understand.

Jim4767, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    uttoransen, smub and silencer like this.
  8. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Chris is a well educated guy; He has lots of businesses and business sense.

I’m sure he will be doing ok.

With some the rubbish that gets posted, its no wonder he stays away.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    balkanboy and Jim4767 like this.
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    What do you mean veteran? most of them have only been going 2 years at best?

JamieG, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  10. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Some need 2 years to learn, other 20 years, and next will never learn.
    And when it comes to manners and personal culture I think you're in this 3rd group.

- D.

dargre, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    smub and uttoransen like this.
  11. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Your entitled to your opinion on my manners but being straight to the point is what I'm about, I ask in one sentence what others take ten posts to ask, if you don't like it then refrain from reading my posts. I believe there's an ignore button somewhere? :rolleyes:

JamieG, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  12. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whole heartedly agree, it is one of the reasons that I rarely frequent the place also, despite there being some very good information available at times.

silencer, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  13. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    The power is to have the ability to ignore the flaming and look for the good points of anything. I just did with an uncalled comment above. :rolleyes: Rise above it.

JamieG, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  14. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you are saying like that the ones who are penaltised were the only ones who buy/sell links. We all know no one here is completely clean ... with no bought / sold links.

For google to eliminate paid links they would have to eliminate 70% of the websites that exist right now.

smub, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    For someone so young you seem to think you know it all smub, stop playing above your station, sit back and learn from people like YMC, from what I gather she knows a hell of a lot more than you do for sure. As for 'no-one here is completely clean'? You speak for yourself, there are probably many here that never overstepped the line.

Selling links via a strict review is one thing, selling links for the sake of PR boosting is another, which is the essence of this thread.

Oh, thanks for the red rep whoever it was from, as someone said via p.m, you know your hurting people when they start throwing red about, and the truth hurts. :cool:

JamieG, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's not that simple. For many people (I'm one of them), flaming reduces the level of the forum from professional to amateur.

I belong to a university sports forum, and flaming is forbidden in the premium forums, but permitted in the non-paid ones. The difference is like day and night. I'm totally willing to pay the price to go to the premium board and get mature commentaries and no flaming. Thousands of others on that forum do the same. The permitted, free flaming forums are a joke and not worth the time to check in there.

Jim4767, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  17. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more Jim, it's very tough indeed, but the problem we have here is that a number of members here simply don't know any better.

I tend to distinguish what posts are worth replying to and when to duck out, you won't change the mentality of some on here and as some very prominent and dare I say well respected members on here said to me via p.m, this forum is going to the dogs because of this flaming.

Having said that though Jim, there needs to be a distinction between asking hard-line but legitimate questions and outright flaming, I never flame but because my posts are usually brutally honest they can be construed as that. Hopefully the wiser people can see this.

JamieG, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Speak for yourself on the selling of links.

I have never bought or sold a link on the basis of PR. That is what G is penalizing sites for and are trying to stop. They made an example out of many of the higher profile sites and with every PR update comes another round of penalized sites.

YMC, Mar 8, 2008 IP