1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How could I sell useful content to my neighborhood?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Twan, Mar 6, 2008.

A friend and I have some very, very high quality content. It's basically personal development. Anyways, we were interested in selling it to our neighborhood, at $5 for a 'book' (a stapled packet containing 20 self-development articles). I was thinking of giving one article away for free, and hopefully that would entice them to buy.

Can I just go door-to-door dropping articles in mailboxes?

Once I drop the initial 'sales page', what would be the best way for the potential buyer to purchase it? Should I offer to drop it off at their house? Mail?

Twan, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't put them in a mailbox, it's against Federal law. Even putting them on the box flag is against the law. I don't think going door to door would work anyway. Try an ebook and try to market it on the net. If you can't sell it on the net, it's not going to work locally.

mjewel, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  3. Onera

Onera Peon

Best Answers:
    As mjewel has indicated, your best chance is to sell it on the web in ebook formats. An ebook is cheap to produce (compared to printed materials) and the web has wider market reach than you can ever get by selling to neighbors. Moreover, your neighbors may not be the right target audience for your content even if it is of very high quality.

1. Create another ebook using a few articles from article directories. Put a link to your website where you want to sell your own book in that compiled ezine article book.
    2. Now give the ebook you have created using ezine articles for free.

The idea is to give some thing of lesser quality for free so that you can sell a higher quality product.

Onera, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  4. donrock

donrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Onera has the right idea. Advertise it on Craig's List for free and see how it does. You might do alright in Ebay also. Try it in forums too.
    donrock

donrock, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. snotb4ll

snotb4ll Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is what I would do if your trying to just market it to your local towns people.

1. Make a flyer and put in on peoples doors or on their car in parking lots.
    2. If you have a little money call your local newspaper and buy advertising.
    3. Go to pizza shops or any other little shops that have tiny billboards inside and leave a business card or little ad on them.

snotb4ll, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  6. Twan

Twan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I'd really like to move some copies in my neighborhood. If I stood outside a Jewel and gave people free articles, is that legal?

Twan, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  7. PurplePeeps

PurplePeeps Peon

Best Answers:
    Put the web address plus a short teaser sentence on your car and drive around all day. If you product is worth anything it should eventually gain some traction and take off.

PurplePeeps, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You would need to check with local authorities in your neighborhood to see what their policy is on solicitation. Many areas don't allow, or require a permit to pass out or post material on cars, etc.

A lot of marketing is perception. I know I would steer clear of anyone standing outside and trying to hand me something for free. Most people hate direct solicitation and you'll likely be seem by some as odd or a nut case.

mjewel, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  9. thedevil93

thedevil93 Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to sell them is to post in forums for your products.It is 100% legal and very easy.

thedevil93, Mar 7, 2008 IP