1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Manual Rank Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Google' started by crystak, Mar 7, 2008.

I was doing some keyword research today and I came across this site, ranked #2 which has about 50 backlinks and 22 pages indexed in Google. However, it outranks PR 5/6 with 20k+ backlinks and with far more better opimizations for that keyword.

In fact, on the #2 site the keyword barely appears on the page once or twice. However, it does supply exactly what the search keyword says and none of the other sites listed who also appear on the SERP supply it.

So my question is.. would Google do manual adjustment for such a thing? If none of the sites listed for a keyword actually supply what the person is searching for, would they find a less authoritative and not so well ranking site and manually rank it better just because it supplies the certain product?

crystak, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  2. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it is automatic ranked for the exact keyword phrase. That is why it is listed higher than sites with better pr but do not have exact phrase.

rcj662, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  3. ComDriver

ComDriver Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that they do have people who manually edit search results and stuff. John Chow doesn't even appear first for his own name, which is probably down to some manual editing.

ComDriver, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  4. bigjoe4

bigjoe4 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes they do manually edit it sometimes, google is a hybrid between a automated search engine and a directory.

bigjoe4, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I knew about John Chow but the fact that this site doesn't actually deserve to be ranked for this keyword phrase as it's not SEOd for it. And also the fact that only this specific site out of the first 20 results provides exactly the product that it's being searched for with over 400,000 competition makes me wonder if they haven't put it there manually.

Well anyway, I'm going to see if I can compete with it and if I'll get nowhere near, I'll learn my lesson.

crystak, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  6. ericfromandys

ericfromandys Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think anything is done manually with the search results, I just can't fathom that Google would find the return to be worth the cost, especially since the number of searches is nearly infinite. Which leads me to scratch my head how that one is coming up at the top above the big dogs. I have observed the same phenomenon in other cases, I have no idea why it turns out that way.

ericfromandys, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  7. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why so?:eek:

Isn't it why all the cry against Google going on?
    Just imagine why Google is punishing sites and cracking down on paid links that pass PR (read SE juice). Google want most relevant results generated organically and not through SEO -manipulated.

Suppose - I am a big company - with big cash. I hire the best SEO firms and rank for everything --even for some terms that hardly relates to my topic.

Isn't it for which Google is fighting for?

On the other hand a small family owned company can't afford to spend much on SEO but sells/provide the exact product the searcher is looking for. Naturaly, a searcher will be hapy to find his/her product than go through lots of clicks to monsterous sites who won't offer the exact product.

IMO- the days of SEOed oriented results are numbered with advances in Google's algo. After all Google has to provide better result to keep searchers happy and thus advertisers through AdSense.

jhnrang, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  8. ComDriver

ComDriver Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, being SEOd is becoming less and less important and I'd much rather have a site which is badly SEOd but with good content.

ComDriver, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  9. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, Google do have moderators, editors or whatever you call them.
    It's not a surprise, especially if the content is good.

zexy, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  10. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google does not assign rank manually but i believe one of the criterias for modemartor comments

trichnosis, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  11. NaughtyNeo

NaughtyNeo Peon

Best Answers:
    Compared to other sites, if the site provides better information for the searched keywords it definitely deserve the position.
    Google insists you to build site for the surfer and not for search engines. I am sure a time will come when google will start seriously penalizing over optimized sites.

By the way this need not be a manual adjustment. Google looks much more factors than the keywords and links. Like, domain age, surfer behavior on the site, synonyms of the searched term etc...........

NaughtyNeo, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  12. 1websitedesign

1websitedesign Banned

Best Answers:
    page rank has nothing do with the ranking only links count where your site is listed i mean inbound links i have seen many of sites which rank higher with no page rank

1websitedesign, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  13. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen pages with no backlinks + PR0 out ranking PR5 pages. In most cases, if not all, this happens because google love new content, and places it well in search results and but only for few days.

When I first launched my website, I was also on top for 3 days. There is a New content Boost for new sites.

angilina, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  14. dillontim

dillontim Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe its content and relevance to the keyword. Another is still due to seo. When we view an optimized site with keyword enriched content, it might actually considered spamming or not optimized by Google bots. You need to view the optmized page via the robots view too. I think that makes a diff. And finally due to Google latest crack down on paid links.

dillontim, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  15. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Mar 8, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.