1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I get my blog ranked?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rchase14, Mar 6, 2008.

Yes....still a newbie.....

I am looking at my google stats and most of every page shows nothing.....

I used the META tag as requested to verify my site...now what?

I still haven't sent out my website to friends/family until I write more content...but shouldn't my blog show up somewhere?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :)

rchase14, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  2. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indexing takes time. If you dont have proper inner page links, the spider wont find your content.

Gaining backlinks will help you rank better in search engines.

Camay123, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  3. wyattt

wyattt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Get some backlinks. Even a link to your website at this forum will work, but like Camay said, it takes some time for Google to index your site. In the meantime though, why don't you write some more content? The more you have, the better results you will get in Google, and the more visitors you will get.

wyattt, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  4. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just started serious website SEO work about 9 months ago and learned a lot from the great people here at DP. I was really surprised to see my Florida Bass Fishing site at #1 (knock on wood) this evening. I don't expect it to stay there as some nice members have let me know that SERP bounce is common once you reach the front page. In fact before this evening I reached the front page pretty consistently for the last 3 weeks ranking between 4 and 10, of course until I got a #1 spots tonight.

To get there, read everything you can in the Search Engine Opt. section and Google section as well as link development.

Key factors I have seen (I'm no SEO expert, just my experience for the last 9 months and info from here):

1- Good Fresh Content- Update often, at least once a week if not more if you can.

2- Get some links- Reciprocal related links works (although some say they don't, I've seen otherwise). Ask on the link exchange for some recips for trade for your niche. E-mail sites ranking lower (page 3 or more) that are related or somewhat related to your niche and offer a trade.

3- Social bookmarking- You can search here or on eBay for some great deals on this service. I think this was a real key for me.

4- Article submission- Get some software from this site such as article submitter (look in the buy,sale,trade area) and submit articles for links. It's an inexpensive way to get links. Just don't put the article on your site due to duplicate content.

5- RSS feed - You may get some backlinks this way. Just don't feed your entire article, just snippets to lure people to your site.

6- Good on page optimization- get a cheap ebook on this site, or read in the Search Engine Opt. section for some great feedback on keyword density, descriptions, header tags, etc.

Summarizing- Fresh content, good related backlinks and good on page opt. can get you decent rankings.

Hope this helps. The Big Boys/Girls here with lots of little green bars are much better experts on SEO and hopefully some of them will help you.

By the way, mind sharing your url and keywords. I'll be glad to check in the top 1000 to see if you rank there.;)

pbruessow@msn.com, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  5. rchase14

rchase14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How do I know what my keywords are? I think one is Wireless and now I think its Cisco but I am not sure.
    (I am unable to post my website due to being a newbie....)

Thanks

rchase14, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  6. experienceadvertising

experienceadvertising Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Set up your signature and link to your site, add like 50 articles to your site that you wrote, no copied content at all...

experienceadvertising, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  7. pbruessow@msn.com

Best Answers:
    Are you trying to build a blog to monetize it i.e. make some money? If so, most people target something that they can sell, have an affiliate, or make money via Google. If it's just for fun, you may not have any keywords. Keywords are words you are trying to rank highly for so when you type them in Google, your site shows up. If you don't have any specific keywords, it'll be hard to show up in Google. Send me a private msg with your url and I'll check out your site if you still want me too. ;)

pbruessow@msn.com, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  8. rchase14

rchase14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I sent you a PM.....thanks for your help

rchase14, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  9. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it is not a wordpress blog, it may take a bit if you have no good external links. All it takes is a link from some established site with a likeable Page Rank and you will be indexed before long. You may not like your ranking in the search results, but with a link from a big social bookmark site, you will get indexed probably within a day or so.

Hardly anyone submits their site to google anymore. It is hardly needed since the googlebot is an active little creature, and you can attract it with links back to your site.

Ping it with a site like pingoat or something or get it listed at technorati, you will be in the search results soon enough.

Blue Star Ent., Mar 6, 2008 IP
  10. rchase14

rchase14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Technorati....I have another post about this that nobody has answered yet.....what is this website and what I do to submit my website to it.
    Thank

rchase14, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  11. Linnie

Linnie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I don't know how to box in the quotes :( Sooo - Poster #4 - In your #2 recommendation you say -

"E-mail sites ranking lower (page 3 or more) that are related or somewhat related to your niche and offer a trade."

I've seen this before where people talk about making sure your incoming links are (above/below?) your Page Rank. Or even saying that your outbound links should be (above/below?).

I'm as dense as a post as to what/why. Also, is this where the phrase "link juice" is used?

Linnie, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  12. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All you need are good contents and back links from a high ranked sites.

Chancey, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  13. igme

igme Banned

Best Answers:
    Just promote your blog through link building and creating a content.

igme, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  14. redspace

redspace Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you want your blog to rank when there is no content. Do you like people click to see your site and then turn away in an instant with a frowning face? :(

redspace, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  15. rchase14

rchase14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No....I am just asking....I did say I was new at this....so give me a break dude!

rchase14, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  16. davcheong

davcheong Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    rchase14, slowly, and i am sure that you will learn more about how to get your blog ranked. There are many ways of reach your goals, search around DP, there some very useful information that you might gain there.

And lastly, welcome to DP, and you are on the right spot, as at DP, you can learn a lot of things that you are trying to know now.

As always, 1st come 1st, content is much much more important throughout all blogs, if you have great news, contents, other website will start talking and pointing your website, and thats, one of the way to get rank.

Time will solve your worries and question. :)

Best of lucks.

davcheong, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  17. pbruessow@msn.com

Best Answers:
    It's me again and I hope you could understand my PM. Here's some definitions that you want clarified:

1- Link Juice- This just means the backlinks that link to you and their associated relativity and page rank/trust rank. The more related backlinks you have, the higher the backlinks pagerank, the more benefit you will gain in getting higher position when someone types in your keywords in Google.

2- Keywords- The term/terms that you are targeting to show your page in Googles results. Your keywords are computer related as per the PM I sent you.

3-Page Rank- This is Googles ranking system which can be seen when you have the Google toolbar installed. It's a green bar, and the higher the PR (pagerank) of the backlink to your site, the more link juice that will be passed to your site. If the backlink to your site has a lot of backlinks to other sites, the link juice will be diminished. So getting backlinks from higher PR sites with only a few outbound links will give you better search engine placement for your keywords.

4- E-mail asking for trades- This can work if you have some decent PR yourself as many sites are willing to get more link juice themselves. Since you are only starting, I suggest that you look to article submission and social bookmarks to start.

5- SERP- Search Engine Results Page- This is the position you are in when someone types in your targeted keywords. Ex: If someone types in Google "Computer Consultants" and your site comes up on the 2nd page at position 15, your SERP is 15.

Hope this helps

pbruessow@msn.com, Mar 7, 2008 IP
    rchase14 likes this.
  18. rchase14

rchase14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Paul.....that does help...one more thing that nobody has answered yet....

What about Technorati, Digg,...etc. What do I do with these sites....

Thanks

rchase14, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  19. sherry

sherry Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you put some code on yoru site and allow people that they can socially bookmark site

sherry, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  20. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Technorati.com is a site that lists every blog, or at least tries to. :)

They will give your blog a little more "validity" in search engine results.

You sign up at technorati, then they give you a code so you can "claim" your blog with them. You put that code on your blog, and start using them to ping your blog. It helps with SEO.

Blue Star Ent., Mar 7, 2008 IP
    rchase14 likes this.