1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What ever happened to Alive directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by indyguidedotinfo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    All this 'Chris' contributed to is the mess the directory industry is in at the moment smub whether you like to admit it or not. Your making this guy out to be some kind of hero when he wasn't, even though he spent money on links as you said, there was a motive to that and that was to get his PR elevated so he could get his money back tenfold with a high PR. This plan backfired and he's where he is right now because of it.

I don't know this Chris guy personally so wish him no ill will, I would love for him to succeed as I would with anyone. But for goodness sake, stop making the guy out to be some kind of guru saviour for the directory scene, it makes you sound naive.

JamieG, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Even when he had sponsored the template, he would still submit links.

Chris definitely kept this sector financed with the jump-start ability to promote by submitting a lot of his projects, and for pipes to see it otherwise, well, I guess pipes is just plain blind. Anywho, I say let him along his way in his own little world i guess.

Chris still maintains his directories, but also is focusing on his main software. He's also had some PC issues with his raid controller that hindered his online activity for a little bit. The last time I spoke with him he seemed fine, and was just mainly focusing on trying to get his new PC up and running, since he has to upgrade his software to accommodate Microsoft's new Vista.

an0n, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  3. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it ridiculous to say this
    I had submissions from a lot of different people then
    certainly there was chris and a few other heavy submitters but to say all directories were running because of him is laughable :rolleyes:

discover, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  4. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Too bad Mystikmedia left DP, he really was a cool guy.

Jarodboy, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @smub

I didnt say he was GOD....lol or the savior of the entire industry :p
    ( you guys take things to literally )

Only that he helped "many here at DP" with their directories and when the s**t hit the fan all the haters showed their true colors and faces....
    (even had one guy comment that he rolled over on his "competitor" at G webmasters which was arcadeforce.com which was one of chris directories )
    just because he was above him in the serps... :rolleyes:

Chris didn't need the back-links he did it to help others as new directories had nothing really to offer him...
    and he STILL has more back-links then most directories.... over 1 million in yahoo

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  6. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    This is turning to another Everybody loves Chris discussion.
    And guess who ruined that thread which was intended to learn and question chris' and others ways to promote their directories.

PS: I earned a lot of red from that thread :D also that was before the penalties of google...

enQuira, Mar 6, 2008 IP
    maxchanwl likes this.
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :) Id be embarrased if i had people speaking about me in that way, ive not read something so crazy in a long term, i know why you blow smoke, but your wasting that smoke now if you know what i mean ;) ive got 4 directories and since ive settled last year ive stuck with 4, i personally had not seen a lot of the members names on dp before using the directory section of the forums so was completely unaware of most people.

Regarding no one submitting but the one guy, not strictly true, a handful of others did too, dont really need to mention names.

Not saying he didn't contribute, thats an obvious and clear fact, he gave good business, he didn't brag about spending, seemed polite, but he wasn't holding the whole thing together, i mean c'mon, Chris, if or when you read this "you were not keeping alive the whole directory industry" someones gotta say it, i dont even think the guy thinks this, i think its only said for him.

Anyway, enough on a guy whos not here anyway.

Il be interested to see who still owns a directory this time next year, personally i think it will be a rather different landscape.

pipes, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its cool Anon, im happy in my world :) and im still here, i stay quite realistic and dont expect everday to be easy thats why since last year ive argued for directories and their reputation when most cant be bothered to.

pipes, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Of course not, but people would launch directories expecting his support. Someone would throw phpLD on a new domain, say they were going to promote it "heavily" and give other details like their unique template that was on the way. They would have regular links set at around $20, featured at $40. Chris would submit at least 20 sites usually. Therefore people would make $400 - $800 within their first days of being launched. Then when the directory was cached and they soon realised their $400 from Chris wasn't going to last long they went straight to sitepoint. They claimed to not have enough time to run the directory. After banking the $1500 from the sale, they'd turn to their mates and laugh at how easy it was. Basically Chris made a lot of kids have the ability to buy some cool toys.

This wasn't just normal directories. The bid directory owners benefited heavily, probably more. And yes, before someone mentions it, I was one of those that recieved a lot from him. More than enough to buy a cool car from what he bidded on ZL. Whilst going slightly off topic, I didn't buy a car. I reinvested it all in another directory. Needless to say I am very grateful for what he did.

It got to the point where he was no longer needed around this forum. Unfortunately he was one of many that left. There was nothing to stay for, even the cool guys like myself :D

Anyway, he hasn't died or anything silly, we should stop talking about him. There is nothing wrong with him or his amazingly designed directory. Cheers for letting us know Rob. Hope he struggles along nicely with vista :p

mikey1090, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    post #32 of that particular thread was *THE* best post in it.

Anywho, it's apparently obvious you have discord towards chris, So maybe use PM's next time rather than making these ludicrous threads and posts.

in-short: Resolve your issues from within via PM.

ps.s - You've earned more red. I signed it, as always.

Excellent! I will be expecting to see you around this time of year, next year ;)

As far as that landscape you spoke about, hehe, well, some may just be eager to click the convert form phpLD--> to ????? in due time! :evil grin:

an0n, Mar 6, 2008 IP
    maxchanwl likes this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Likewise

And i think i know what your referring to there but im staying out of that.

pipes, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hahahaha funny stuff....

an0n, malcolm1, 3rb0, bcdxer, Boulder, brazenmedia, dasha101, dvduval, Kel, LakeCountry, magyar, mikey1090, pipes, stoner3221, swedal

See what the little birdies bring out? :D

an0n, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  13. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Rob, when do you celebrate your birthday? I'll have to buy you some binoculars. You might see things sooner that way;)

14. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem with him, I even sent him pms with some suggestions to improve alive, before all those penalisations. I respect him as a person but I don't agree with his way to promote. and time proved me right.
    rep is always welcome. everybody should be proud of a red rep coming from you :D

enQuira, Mar 6, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  15. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like Chris and hope Alive live...

It looks that Chris lost some of his passion in directory industry. I guess Google is killer.

xc06, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Because *you* don't approve, someone is suppose to *jump* at what you say?

Are you a comedian now? Who the hell are you to know what will and won't improve things? You're just guess work like the vast majority of wannabe seo's.

So, Gaygle came down on the directories that were ratted out and falsely accused of malicious acts. Well, Chris promoted to gain exposure. So just because he didn't use FagWords and spent money in alternative and better ways, he gets penalized? Oh, now you are going to claim PR was chased? Then explain how submitting to new directories is exactly chasing PR? Man, go blog a ripped off MOD or something while I tend to and test my latest creation.

an0n, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  17. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I can't wait until you release a dictionary. I expect to have your translation of Analytics, Adsense and Webmaster tools when I log in tomorrow morning (in 8 hours).

18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While I do think Chris did a lot of good, this is the one area where I think he did a world of bad too. There were many really crappy directories that he purchased from. Many of them are long gone - sold, left to die, or simply taken down. He made it attractive and profitable to be a part of the QBC and that has hurt all of us.

I must admit though it was a bit of masterful marketing. I imagine quite a few of his purchases led to those newbie directory owners returning the favor and purchasing links on Alive and his other directories.

YMC, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  19. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had a few directories (which were at the very least 6months old) at the time and Chris didnt submit anywhere near 20 sites to each of them
    I doubt how he would be throwing money at sites setup only days before hoping to get his money
    He knew what he was doing and I doubt someone promising promotion, template etc would make him submit

anyway no matter tbh, its done done done

discover, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  20. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Chris can we get your side of the story???

BlueDevilMedia, Mar 6, 2008 IP