1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Backlinks can hurt you!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by enQuira, Mar 3, 2006.

I am basing this conclusion on a very clear example. 1 site (PR6) was very competitive (top 3) for thousands of keywords. He used to have a lot of relevent links. Then he bought 2 site-wide irrelevent PR8 links and 1 site-wide PR7, irrelevent also, among other links. the sites are like more than 30K pages each. These links devalued this site and this was automatic (not penalized by a human otherwise he would have banned him). Now he is far behind in the serps.

Mods: again, this is not a website review, I wanted to share a conclusion based on a website. The website itself doesn't matter.

enQuira, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google & Matt Cutts have clearly stated that the disapprove of paying for text links.

If they have spotted the paid links (either manually or algorithmically) then they will have penalized the site or at least discounted the links value.

mad4, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  3. DarkNinja

DarkNinja Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something that I still don't get.
    Google CANNOT accurately determine if a link is paid for or not. It is impossible for 100% accuracy, so how can they penalize someone.

DarkNinja, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  4. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that it was discounting of the purchased links otherwise he would have stayed in the same serps.
    And it is not a penality, it is more like the very strong irrelevent links gave another meaning to the site, they switched its content. JMO

enQuira, Mar 3, 2006 IP
    T0PS3O, Jat and exam like this.
  5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    So we should revise the original title:
    Paid-for backlinks can hurt you.

>> it is more like the very strong irrelevent links gave another meaning to the site, they switched its content
    Very interesting statement.

exam, Mar 3, 2006 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  6. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    "Irrelevent backlinks can hurt you"

enQuira, Mar 3, 2006 IP
    plmerlin likes this.
  7. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    You've really got me thinking. Consider: The sites from whence backlinks come play a part in determining the content/theme/category of a site. Very strong irrelevant backlinks could then change that, knocking the site down in the SERPs for niche keywords.. Interesting concept.

exam, Mar 3, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  8. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think google can fairly accurately determine whether a link is paid or not, but I don't think they will penalize for it. More like not count it, but why would they penalize.

This brings back up the idea of killing your competitor by getting millions of irrelevant purchased links to their site. If it was that effective at burying a site, then we would see way more link warfare.

How can you be sure that these links were the reason that the site's ranking dropped? There are hundreds of potential possibilities, and this could completely be a coincidence.

jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  9. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I am following this site closely, and I can say I am 80% sure that this is the reason. but who knows!

enQuira, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  10. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what I meant.

enQuira, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  11. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely something to think about. If the perceived topic about a website / page is even remotely based on the links that come into it, then this definitely could play into reducing the rankings across the board for a website.

It seems like it would be extremely advanced, as the SE would have to use semantics or some other relation based model to build relationships between phrases, to determine what is related and what's not.

jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  12. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a catch 22. As already mentioned, if this were true, I could get some high-pr irrelevant backlinks to a site and ruin its SERPs. That doesn't sound quite right. Are you sure there's nothing else going on?

exam, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  13. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont know that I would agree with this 100%. I know of a few top ranked real estate sites that have a ton of non themed links pointing at them. Some of these range from quilting forum to a space probe site. These non relevant themed links have not dropped their sites.

IMHO what maybe dropped this site was the use of sitewides and the issue of them being non themed. I think it deluted the theme of the site they were pointing to based on the theme they were coming from. Matt has stated purchased links will get you in trouble.

Las Vegas Homes, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  14. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    If a site has 10,000 backlinks with 99% relevancy ratio and you add 2 times 30,000 irrelevant backlinks, the relevancy ratio fall to 14%, which is already not really good also SEs can see the 60,000 bl jumps as spamming.

I'm not sure it was a good move.

plmerlin, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  15. Arizona Web Design

Arizona Web Design Guest

Best Answers:
    If this is the case, I could stop white hat SEO tactics and spend lots of money on buying irrelevant links to sites I want to get out of the way. I wonder what they think about that... they say that nothing a competitor can do will hurt you, this will be a clear way to contradict that statement.

Arizona Web Design, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  16. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But, how do SE's know what is related within a theme. There are unlimited possibilities and subtle relationships between words and phrases and topics.

I don't think that any SE is advanced enough to recognize what is and what is not related.

jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  17. Jat

Jat Peon

Best Answers:
    What mhamdi and exam say is probably true. Happened to me about 4 years back. Google dumped me for my keywords and upped me on some which were of no use to me.

Jat, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  18. Mark Davies

Mark Davies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am trying to follow the thread but do not know what serps means!
    Thanks
    mark

Mark Davies, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  19. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Search Engine Result Pages

basically, what you get when you search

jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  20. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    In the google sitemap panel they mention in the stats some of the keywords of your site (in addition to anchors linking to you,...) it is like they give a theme to your site.

enQuira, Mar 3, 2006 IP