1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The importance of DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Gaffer Sports, Feb 26, 2006.

1. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can not recall, that the discussion referring to was focused, limited, or primarily about the question whether those links are legal or not.

vulcano, Mar 3, 2006 IP
    fathom likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, fathom. I do think that's best, don't you? :)

minstrel, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  3. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    (Please excuse my Off Topic post.)
    Aiding and Abetting ANY criminal activity IS illegal and the last time I checked pedophilia was a crime.

Get a grip! :mad:

~VegasMack

VegasMack, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think fathom either (1) has other personal priorities at the moment, even at DMOZ, that do not include worrying about DMOZ aiding, abetting, endorsing, and promoting pro-pedophilia sites; and/or (2) prefers playing silly-bugger to addressing the issue.

minstrel, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    in his "opinion" posting here, is a good method to try to get new categories in DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Continuing off topic - why not since every thread here is turning into the same topic :rolleyes:

aid
    : to provide with what is useful in achieving an end
    Example: conspiracy to counsel or 1aid draft resisters -- K. A. Cohen (often used in the phrase aid and abet;)

abet
    [e-'bet]

abetted
    abetting
    : to assist, encourage, instigate, or support with criminal intent in attempting or carrying out a crime (often used in the phrase aid and abet)

From Findlaw - http://dictionary.lp.findlaw.com/ - bolding is mine. Intent is the primary reason that IMO there is no criminal activity on the part of the ODP.

lmocr, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    As I said elsewhere, you continue to post statements like this that indicate you either just cannot understand the issue (the "dumb as a stump" hypothesis) or that you refuse to understand the issue (the "lmocr has other ambitions and objectives that she feels are more important to her personally" hypothesis).

To the extent that DMOZ lists sites which directly or indirectly promote or encourage criminal activity, DMOZ is aiding and abetting those who engage in those illegal activities. In most jursidictions, that would be considered morally reprehensible at a minimum; in many jurisdictions, that would in itself be considered a crime.

minstrel, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Since we're already off topic, and to be honest I'm not sure what the topic was, I hope you'll all forgive me for taking us even further off topic. :D

I wish I could agree with you fathom, but free speech is not a right that everyone enjoys. Sadly the "major precedence to prove a 'link' and a 'description' is in fact an illegal activity" has already become a reality. :(

We have a Turkish editor who was conviced and jailed for listing Kurdish sites.

This is one reason that dmoz guidelines are only guidelines and that I truly understand why it's so important for the Admins to carefully consider everything, even if we think a decision is a no-brainer. All changes can be much more far reaching than we, in the comfort of our freedom, can comprehend without giving it serious thought.

While I do agree that what you say should be correct, in reality we can't rely on it. My main reason for posting this is to make sure that we never forget our fellow editor, who was jailed for doing nothing more than listing websites that help the rest of us find information about Kurds. :(

(We have a couple of internal threads regarding this issue if any editors wish to know more.)

compostannie, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  9. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    If you knowingly aide or participate in a crime, there IS criminal intent.

Also check “accomplice”, (somebody who knowingly helps somebody to commit a crime or misdeed.)

~VegasMack

VegasMack, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lomcr

You are a very well respected editor in DMOZ and I respect you. ;)
    The problem is not the law itself. It is between choosing RIGHT vs. WRONG.
    The children's Rights to growing up free from these kinds of publications. A completely free innocent world for children. I don't mind about the scumbags and sex starved adults they can have it all.

Just the conscience. I can't do anything though but I am not blinded by the facts.;)

popotalk, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems you are enjoying the free speech in DP a little bit too much. It has started to open your eyes and change your opinion about DMOZ. I am happy for you but I am not sure your new attitude will be appreciated by powers in DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your missing the point gworld. I may or may not agree with postings. What I say is my own personal opinion. Please read my other postings.;)

popotalk, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :confused:

I think everybody in this forum is expressing their own opinion (except fathom that doesn't have an opinion). As I understand, you have stated in your previous posting that in your opinion there are things which are right or wrong and listing of pedophile sites is wrong because children should be protected from child molesters. Did I misunderstood you?

gworld, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No.
    That is my personal opinion and children are supposed to be protected no matter what. See, we don't even include our own children in family adult discussions so why include them in adult.;)

popotalk, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Having a personal opinion is good but acting on it is even better. ;)

gworld, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I only have a Magic Wand. :D

popotalk, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We all have one, it is called public opinion and it is used through forums like this. You just need to be willing to use it. ;)

We have already used the magic wand to disappear 2 categories from DMOZ (Pedophiles Chat/forums & directories) and now we are working on the rest. :D

gworld, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  18. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I thoroughly agree with you - unfortunately people keep spouting US criminal laws and US codes as if they apply in this situation. If there was some law that would keep these sites from being listed - then I'm positive the sites would have been gone ages ago.

The problem is that the sites are legal - the problem is that the guidelines allow them to be listed - the admins (hopefully, from what I've read between the lines) are working to amend the guidelines. Way off in left field - there is nothing illegal about drop shippers, yet they are specifically excluded in the guidelines. Hopefully, after the discussion is over, the guidelines will specifically exclude these other types of legal sites, as well.

Bringing up these different laws, that have absolutely nothing to do with what is listed - other than being remotely connected, is doing nothing to help - and is confusing the issue. Does the information that I'm putting out further cloud the issue - perhaps it does. But I can't just sit here and see nonsense put out as pure fact and not react to it.

lmocr, Mar 3, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, it really doesn't confuse the issues for any one who can think but it is a nice try by you. I'll give A+ for your effort. ;)

gworld, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  20. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    lmocr is dead on.

There is nothing illegal about these sites (nothing shown so far). And therefore, the arguements about aiding and abetting are completely irrelevant.

Just because a site is legal doesn't mean it is good, acceptable, or should be listed though.

sidjf, Mar 3, 2006 IP