1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you work a full time job?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by n_vizion, Mar 4, 2008.

Noob here.

I have spent the last few weeks soaking up all of the valuable information on this site. I know that I definately have to work on the amount of time I spend marketing my sites if I ever wish to be in a position to quit my full time job. Problem is that my full time job ties up most of my time. I wake up around 5:30-6:00 am to post blogs and design my site before heading to work and do a little more work some evenings. Most of my free time is spent developing and updating and I know that if I do not put more time into marketing, I will not likely experience the kind of results I am looking for.

How were you able to do all of the required work to get you to a place where you could become a full time internet entreprenuer?

Those of you who still work full time, how much time are you dedicating to marketing/developing and how do you do it?

n_vizion, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  2. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Working full time is going to be a thorn in your side until you finally make enough to quit your job. I cant wait for that day. I'm still working full time, but I get all benefits paid for, and the salary is pretty good...but I'd happily take a salary cut to work from home, I'm just not at that level yet. My goal was to quit when I'm earning what I made when I first got this job. I also want to relocate to a cheaper state/area. As for the home-based work, I do it the instant I get home, until around 11pm, every day...and for half of the weekend. I'm really serious about this because it's my goal in life.

Pixelrage, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  3. xluciusx

xluciusx Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm seriously contemplating getting a full time job.
    freelancing is being quite the rough path.
    seems like i can't get any clients that are serious to work with.

xluciusx, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  4. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    All I do is work online. Only time I worked a full time week was when I was working at an Amusement park at the age of 17 I think. 20 now, and I make 1000 - 2000 a month, and I haven't even dipped into affiliate marketing yet. Pays for everything I need. (I decided to go to college in Thailand. Tuition is about 1500 dollars per semester, Most people struggle to make 200 - 300 dollars a month here). Yup... setting myself up pretty damn well for life.

I spend about 12-14 hours online... maybe 4 hours a day sleeping. Heh... probably taking away from my life, but the freedom I have and will gain from it is worth every second.

Justin

Justin_Dupre, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    SEOLinker likes this.
  5. KniveZ

KniveZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol full time student here

KniveZ, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  6. wantmomoney

wantmomoney Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a lady who is a Wealthy Affiliate member who uses bum marketing to make $3000 to $5000 a month. She's been at affiliate marketing for 14 months and she's at that level. She has, however, KEPT her full time job because she enjoys it. It's a good story that can help you see what is possible.

wantmomoney, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  7. Powelly

Powelly Active Member

Best Answers:
    yup i work full time

Powelly, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  8. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i don't work full time. Student / Web entrepreneur .

Remotay, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  9. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I am lucky enough to be able to do a lot of my internet marketing stuff from my full time job. I hope to eventually make enough to quit working but i'm still quite a ways away.

PHPGator, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I worked fulltime for 40 years, supported my family from that work, and retired in 2006. Now I have the leisure to spend a few hours each day on website-related work without the pressures of having to "make a living". That allows me to keep the website (signature #1) entirely nonprofit, which is my preference.

Jim4767, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  11. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Member

Best Answers:
    I don't work outside the home right now and loving it. There are so many routes to look at that I think people who are new to online marketing forget that it is only marketing. It is marketing online vs marketing a business offline. If we were offline and purchased a McDonald's franchise we don't turn around the next week and open a flower shop. But somehow that's what we do online because the cost is significantly less.

I would suggest that making a full time living online comes from staying focused on the goal using specific tactics to meet the complete strategy that you've outlined in a business plan. Sounds a bit like working off line :) But it's the way to succeed without breaking the bank purchasing every last product that will make you $100 a day using the newest, neatest, Web 2.0 technique that no one has heard of or is yet using.

Stephen Pierce just did a quick 17 min audio on his DTAlpha talk back site (think that's the name of it - google and you'll find it). It's a blog where he gives some good information either in audio or video. Monday's content was about how to find out how much you really know.

After you know what you know, have done the niche research and decided on either product creation or affiliate marketing or both, then proceed - stay the course - learn from your mistakes and be grateful for the full time income on which you can currently rely.

Working 40 hours per week, with family commitments and about 6-7 hours of sleep a night you should be able to average about 4 hours a day (with 8 a day on Saturday and Sunday) on the Internet. Give up television and your usual 'down time' in the evening. A little sacrifice now leads to more free time later.

hope that helps!

Warmly,

Gail

GailTrahd, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  12. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Running my websites IS my job. I spent hours a day to develop up 13 domains over the last year and 3 months.

domainer_10, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  13. cckid

cckid Peon

Best Answers:
    Full time job, full time student, and trying to make money on the internets too.

cckid, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  14. Icj001

Icj001 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do empathise with you. I work full time (40-ish hours) in a job that pays a v.good salary, so it's not going to be easy to quit. I've promised myself I will, when I've earned the same salary online for a consecutive 6 months. One important thing, if you get to that stage, don't tell your boss to "shove" the job; never know when you'll need it again!
    But yes, IM requires a LOT of dedication and is FAR from easy. For me, having an incredibly supportive Wife helps too : )

icj

Icj001, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  15. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not yet, spend majority of the time on the e-net :)

Shazz, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  16. tissue

tissue Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm 17 and I have been into this IM world 2-3 months alredy , I just made my first $123 week ago , I think I will develop the skills needed and I will take this work as my side work to earn for living and I will do what I want without caring about salary.

tissue, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  17. kush86

kush86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am 22 and run my own companies, but I have been researching how to make money online spending no money. The only money I use is the money I make online. My goal is to start from $0 and make $10,000 monthly online. I think its fun to make money online. Offline making money is easy, ill be a millionaire by the end of 2009 but thats offline. I want to have some income online as well.

Anybody making over $1,000 online that live in florida, usa willing to teach me how to make this type of money online, I will teach how to make $20,000 or more monthly offline.

kush86, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  18. spdev

spdev Peon

Best Answers:
    im still a full time student, trying to make my mark on the internet. I do however do a fair amount of freelance to help pay the bills :)

spdev, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  19. RevRPM

RevRPM Peon

Best Answers:
    Last year, about April, I started very much part-time,
    but it is difficult to make money in a few hours. You
    have to be very focussed. It did not help that I made
    all the classic mistakes. You know: HD full of e-books
    and that kind of thing!

So, I am a bit more than part-time, but definately not
    full-time!! Trying to keep focussed. I know that things
    are working towards my goal. It is just slower than I