1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEOs who chat with Matt Cutts

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Sharpseo, Mar 2, 2006.

I've seen two recent examples of SEOs talking shop with Matt Cutts. In my blog post here, I compare it to being a top tax lawyer and going up to the IRS's chief-loophole-closer and spilling the beans.

I posted a couple examples of SEOs like Greg Boser talking to Matt and the potential reasons for it.

What do you guys think? I haven't been to any of the big conferences, but if I saw Matt Cutts, I would probably say Hi. I would definitely have some questions for him. But I would try not to divulge anything I consider to be an "edge" on Google (even though they probably know anything I could tell them).

It seems like some SEOs are drawn to him, and are sharing some potentially valuable information. Any thoughts on why?

Sharpseo, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  2. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well, i can answer that in one word... money
    isnt everything about that magical thing?

To be honest, Matt Cutts is paid by google to do what he does. So I doubt he is doing anything that Google doesnt approve of, so it isnt really unethical.

dsm56, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  3. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I didn't state it clearly. I'm not asking why Matt Cutts meets with them, I know that. I'm interested in why SEOs want to discuss optimization with the guy who tries to combat their efforts.

Sharpseo, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  4. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hasn't matt said on his blog that he doesn't hate SEO, he likes it. Its manipulation that he is against. There is a difference, I think....not much, but there is some

lorien1973, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  5. ltcobretti

ltcobretti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO's are just hoping to create a buzz and find the next magic bullet. We are a bit like reporters sometimes. Having Matt Cutt's latest in a bunch of threads gets the discussion going and keeps fresh content on the SEO Forums and Blogs. ;) I listen to him just to make sure I'm not missing the boat and it helps me keep getting things done by focusing on blogs for a week or getting only good links for a week or making sure my pages are all validated. That is why I listen.

ltcobretti, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  6. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    first rule of marketing for anyone in marketing - promote yourself to the client, then the client to the target audience. By association themselves with Mr Cutts they raise their own profiles...

just my 2c

stuw, Mar 2, 2006 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  7. CharlieHorse

CharlieHorse Peon

Best Answers:

Yup, I'd say it's an ego thing.

CharlieHorse, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  8. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely an EGO thing and if you tell them any of your "tricks" your being just stupid.

gford, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  9. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  10. trueMarketing

trueMarketing Member

Best Answers:

Really, it's a link baiting tool, of sorts. Yeah, some interviews or quotes are legitimate for pushing information, but believe me, Matt C already knows what's going on as well as many others in his department at Google.

No one is giving him anything he doesn't already know.

trueMarketing, Mar 3, 2006 IP