1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR updated, ready to sell your directories?!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by WallaceYeung, Jan 15, 2008.

1. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    50 grand is a bit optimistic, as a clear profit after expenses and myself living in the UK, yes expensive in the UK i know, i think 10 grand in £ is much more realistic yearly, thats after all deductions.

Regarding everything else you say, i couldn't agree more, thats something i wouldn't want to see anyone go through, to nvest so heavily and lose so much.

Thats why i personally never encourage people to spend what they cant afford, i say grab a load of free promo first, and while that can seem crazy to recommend that when i dont run any free ones myself, i think its only fair.

Im pretty sure that not one single directory owner is doing or was even doing as well as they pretended in the past, and what makes me say that is money makers and happy people dont get p'd off so easily.

Any big man talk about how anyones was/is raking in dollars was hollow :) anyone can say they spent 2 grand last month but theres no way of proving that and as other pointed out sometimes, if you brought in a few thousand in a month but you spent an equal amount or more then you made no profit or are still in the red.

Must excercise caution with spending and take any quotes of big $$ spending with a pinch of salt, leave that to the shallow gangsta rappers. :)

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that anyone not spending 10's of thousands is not a real promoter?

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  3. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Those who really do promote know and understand exactly what I said.
    Are you telling me that you don't understand what I'm saying?

an0n, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No i understand quite clearly anon, its not information for the insiders, its fantasist talk.

In the UK if i am spending big money for example in this business, with it being fragile and not getting the returns i would be called a Mug basically foolish, naive and letting the money slip through my fingers.

If you spent a lot of cash and dont see the returns then i guess that would make you angry, your in the red with your investment.

Therefore those who really promote in your suggestion have surplus funds that they can afford to lose, thats the message that i get.

So if you have the funds to spend that way and invest the time and have no concerns that the returns are not as expected then it leaves me wondering.

You will suggest that there are those who promote hard with big spending, maybe to create an illusion that some directories and their owners cannot be beaten when infact you know there are directories with tiny budgets doing just fine.

A real big spender doesn't talk about it, just like real gangstas dont rap.:)

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  5. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    real promotion does not mean buying links everywhere and get yourself penalized. real promotion is making the highest ROI.

enQuira, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @pipes

It would appear that a sensitive spot has been hit by reading what I posted. For that, you can blame yourself.
    If you are in the red then that is on your endeavor not mine.

@ham
    Nobody ever said it was about buying links, especially not me. I agreed with regards to the general consensus of what I have seen, been told and know first hand from the many people that I have helped; pertaining to their expenditures.

So, anyway.. time for me to get back to my work as I just received an email I was waiting on.

an0n, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Anon, no, simple as that, but i am suggesting it in your direction, that your directory investment has left you in the red regarding your directories seen as you suggested i may be.

I take pride in always making it clear that im small fry, im a guppy in the big pond. :) im always more comfortable that way.

If i had a lot of money i wouldn't be bragging as its not polite where i come from, i only survive, im still chasing my dreams and spend within my means.

I will take risks, but im not a reckless person, things like the stock market or domaining would scare me, i dont mind admitting it, because its so risky, its like putting all your money on the red or black with such danger in it.

Blind spending i would call it.

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  8. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lets get back on track. I wish mikey good luck on the sale of zorg-directory. The site have tons of articles and i know how much work has been put in it. Though i think if he continue the project until the market stabilizes, the price of the site would increase greatly. At this point in time i see that the bid is only at 1k and i dont think it will get high because of the negative view toward general directories from others.

smub, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  9. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Mikey should sell a directory every month, some of the best reading in a long while on the forum. even if side tracked.

@ Pipes, [ DREAMS ] read this a long time ago.

Everybody must live for their dreams, otherwise life is a slow process of dying. ( or similar )

Just need to learn to step outside the comfort zone to move a little in the right direction now and then, good luck with your ventures.

DownUnder, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  10. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Comfort zone, yes i agree to step outside it, its a killer staying in it.

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  11. hobsonschoice

hobsonschoice Banned

Best Answers:
    So mikey selling up because of the recent penalties

i know he has`nt said as much but its pretty obvious

zorg-links is still penalized by google

and $20000 BIN very lucky if he gets $5000

but at the end of the day i dont blame him many others are doing the same

good luck with your new video site

hobsonschoice, Jan 16, 2008 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  12. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope that he would get a good price for it !

Freewebspace, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  13. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    lol...

Well, I wish Mikey luck, I think it's worth more than the ~$1000 it's at now. When will he chime in on this thread???

Artifexus, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  14. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Mikey, all the best with the sale, I really wish the u get the BIN value for your directories.

Red_Virus, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  15. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Best of luck with your sale and future endeavors.

CReed, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  16. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    Im pretty sure the last update hammered directory owners. This time im confident directories will remain unscathed. I also think there will be a crackdown on blogspot and wordpress blogs. Just a theory but it makes sense. I feel google target certain sites, differently at each update.

joey112, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great post- put straight-forwardly and matter-of-factly.:cool:

jhnrang, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  18. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Try not spamming as ive already reported you.;)

pipes, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  19. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good post centime and I'll rollout my favourite business quote again - "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity"

Applies as much to a web directory as any other business...

deebee, Mar 3, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.