1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Affiliate Links damage SERPS

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by cashbackers, Mar 1, 2006.

Hi there

This is not much more than anecdotal evidence but i thought some might find it interesting...

I have done some playing around with trying to optimise 2 websites in the dvd area. One is a price comparison site which uses a lot of affiliated links, the other is a DVD shop with no affiliate links.

I would say that I put a lot more time and effort into optimising the price comparison site than the other one and over a longer period of time. Also, according to my limited knowledge the price comparison site is built in a much more "SEO friendly" manner.

However the DVD shop is killing it in the SERPS. It has top 10 rankings for some very competitive terms whilst the comparison site limps into the top 50 in yahoo and the top 200 in google.

My conclusion is that it must be the affiliate links that are getting the site penalised.

Any thoughts??

cashbackers, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Without the URLs so we can do link analysis etc. it's way too anecdotal indeed. If all the aff site's content is not unique, then that's more likely the cause. Google doesn't like aff sites that don't add significant value (content).

T0PS3O, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You may want to read up about thin affiliate sites, google devalues them.

dcristo, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  4. cashbackers

cashbackers Guest

Best Answers:
    cheers guys- I guess you have confirmed what i thought. Suppose I need to get some unique content. I have thought about putting a relevant RSS feed on the site- would that help do you think? or is that not "unique" enough?

cashbackers, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It's in the name. RSS is NOT unique. Unique is when YOU write it (or have it written) - not copied.

T0PS3O, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  6. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's funny that people are quick to jump on the "affl. links are bad" band wagon.

Just go Google a few KW's... most of the top sites have at least one affl. link somewhere on the page. ;)

BTW... if you are worried you can always get naked links.

larysmith711, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  7. cashbackers

cashbackers Guest

Best Answers:
    thats looks like a very clever innovation. havent seen it working on uk affiliate networks but hope it gets taken up.

cashbackers, Mar 2, 2006 IP