1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ, how much value does it add to SEO?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by cloghouse, Feb 18, 2008.

I have heard stories of sites that have been in the dmoz queue for years yet they are achieving excellent results in the SEs such as Google and Yahoo!

How important is Dmoz these days if Google, Yahoo and MSN are dominating the market share in searches?

Except from an indexing perspective, how much value does Dmoz actually add to SEO?

Thanks!

cloghouse, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Forum links actually provide equal, if not better, indexing power then DMOZ does now-a-days.

The true value and power of DMOZ lies in links. It's got decent PR, and is cloned all over the net. The power of those links however can be suspect due to the cloning however.

Either way though, it's worth trying to submit.

Qryztufre, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  3. ardley216

ardley216 Peon

Best Answers:
    i've tried to submit to DMOZ.. what are the chances of being submmited.. my wbsite is my sig.. if that helps?

ardley216, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  4. raven1975

raven1975 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been trying for a long time, its a hit and miss depending on the section of the directory your tying to get into, some have an editor, and some dont. my section doesnt seem to have one.

raven1975, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  5. cloghouse

cloghouse Peon

Best Answers:
    Its amazing how much credibility Dmoz still has but I think its changing quickly with Web 2.0 and the online browser evolving into a much more experiential player.

cloghouse, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  6. Dabs

Dabs Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Dmoz is the king of all directories. And then there are the clones. If you get listed in dmoz, it's just a matter of time before hundreds of clones will have your link too.

Dabs, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's been changing slowly and has yet to really pick up momentum. It got a pretty big jump back when the entire thing crashed, but even then, its popularity was still being talked about in many circles.... in fact, some "experts" were even saying to get a DMOZ listing, even with it down for months :confused:

I think the hype of a listing and the power of what it used to be simply still feeds the machine what it needs to survive...as webmasters seek content for their SEO blogs they keep rehashing the same old same old "get listed in DMOZ to get indexed" even when there are so many other methods for the same thing, methods that can work even better *sigh*

Though it would be pretty cool if the ODP got a face list into todays web standards.

Qryztufre, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Compared with other ways to promote your site, DMOZ is by far not the best way, IMO. The "hundreds of clones" thing doesn't hold any more - it's the way it used to be, but Google and others have a "duplicate content filter" to stop people blasting many many copies of linkfarms out there in order to get higher in the rankings.

The ODP gives you one backlink per listing, and that's it.

In terms of its SEO effects it is highly over-rated - you are much better off putting your efforts into other ways to promote sites.

Alucard, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  9. nab82ba

nab82ba Guest

Best Answers:
    I think DMOZ is overrated, for rankings it may help slightly but no more so than getting quality pr links from topic related sites. I have given up trying to get listed after waiting 2 years, i am now starting to get good top 10 SERPs without it!

nab82ba, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is over-rated by Webmasters, yes.

This promise of getting a huge boost in Search results just from a listing is fiction, nowadays. It may have applied years ago, but it's just not reality now.

And the lesson is good - you don't NEED an ODP listing to promote your site.

Alucard, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  11. jamil0458

jamil0458 Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't think dmoz is the same as good as it was before. there are a lot more places on the web now and this is no longer as 'exclusive' as it may have been years ago.

jamil0458, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  12. fesei

fesei Peon

Best Answers:
    A link from DMOZ is as good (or, in some cases, better) as one from any other directory. But, to be listed in DMOZ also means to be listed in hundreds of other directories that use ODP data and you might get higher rankings in serps for keywords related to the category where your site appears. It is worth to submit your site to DMOZ, but don't focus on this; submit and forget.

fesei, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  13. SEOBusiness

SEOBusiness Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Links from DMOZ are no longer as useful as before,but it is still quality link,so if you can get listed,then just do it.

SEOBusiness, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  14. panphrack

panphrack Peon

Best Answers:
    dmoz must have no employees? I've waited for them to list perfectly acceptable listings for months and months. Nowadays I figure, just make your site so awsome that people link to it because it's awsome.

panphrack, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  15. fesei

fesei Peon

Best Answers:
    all the editors are volunteers! No one pays them for the editing work, they do it as a hobby.

fesei, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    The only employees are Staff, which are at the corporate level. For editors, from one small category to meta editors, it's a hobby they do in their spare time which varies from person to person at different times of the year.

You've got the right idea. Word of mouth is much more powerful than any Directory listing.

crowbar, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    It totally boggles my mind at the life that this bit of old information still has.

Over a year ago Google changed its algorithms to discount duplicate content. All of those copies do nothing for the positioning in Google.

You will find many threads on this and other fora discussing this.

Alucard, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  18. ghommey

ghommey Peon

Best Answers:
    The way I see it, you may as well get into DMOZ. Submit the site, but don't hold your breathe. I've been waiting for a week to get my link, but that's not a long time in their minds. From my perspective, I would not pay to get into any directory. if I'm going to spend the 5 minutes needed to get a free link from a directory, I would start with DMOZ.

ghommey, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  19. raven1975

raven1975 Peon

Best Answers:
    Makes ya wonder how many people tried to get into dmoz religiously only to can thier site and dmoz accepts them.

raven1975, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  20. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Submit and pray :)?

jimnoble, Mar 2, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.