1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Linux vs Vista

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by D_C, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Linux or Vista?

1. Linux

139 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Vista

90 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    entertainment - Yes. The games that are on unbuntu are IMO much more entertaining that any stupid minesweeper game. Not to mention linux has the same ability to play windows games if you just get a THIRD PART PROGRAM.
    games – Again, just get WINE and you are as good as a windows.
    office applications: Clone of MSO? Yeah. Is that bad?
    customer support - Much more info online than windows though.
    user friendliness - Considering it was MADE BY USERS... I'd say its just fine.
    third party applications - of course its not in stores its free!

D_C, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  2. brethart

brethart Peon

Best Answers:

dude cut it. i myself have played farcry in linux. what i meant was there arent many options when it comes to games/entertainment in linux.

for curious minds jus like anything out ther linux is a good program to explore but definitely not a replacement for windows. even today i use ubuntu & fedora with couple of other os's just to have fun & keep upto date with the trends & i dont mean to offend lin/unix users its jus tht ther is more to it than anything linux has ever offered.

brethart, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  3. Dan Blackburn

Dan Blackburn Peon

Best Answers:
    I just really dislike Vista, so I chose Linux

Dan Blackburn, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  4. gull

gull Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux is much better, but the problem is no windows programs...

gull, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  5. Notorious

Notorious Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO Linux developers try to put so many options and application in a single package that it confuses average users,

Notorious, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  6. Pippo09

Pippo09 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Linux is better because with vista I have a lot of problems

Pippo09, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  7. walkere

walkere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. If all you're doing is browsing the net and doing basic office stuff, go with Ubuntu or a similar easy-to-use Linux distro. Everything is free, everything is updated, and everything is as powerful as you need it to be.

You've apparently never used Ubuntu Linux. Installing programs couldn't be easier. Browse the list, click "Apply," and watch it install. You also hardly ever (never?) need to go to the terminal if all you're doing is basic computing/web/office work.

The image of Linux as being nerdy and requiring gobs of technical skill is entirely dated. There are plenty of Distros (like Ubuntu) that can be 100% point and click. They are as easy, if not easier, to work with than Windows.

The range of freely available open source applications is amazing. You can get a free open source office suite, programming IDE, graphics editing program, illustrations program, etc. All those proprietary programs that cost Windows users hundreds of dollars to buy (if they buy them legally).

The only reason I would ever consider going back to Windows is if I wanted to play computer games again. And I'd only do that if the game I wanted wasn't available on Mac.

- Walkere

walkere, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  8. Dehisce

Dehisce Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista is pants :(

Linux

Dehisce, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  9. Junior_letts

Junior_letts Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, i make the switch to linux and my browsering(firefox) experience dramatically improved. You have more control over the osand can tweak whatever you want.

Junior_letts, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  10. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well as a result of the current standings of votes, majority rules and you lose.

D_C, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  11. qcyzjg

qcyzjg Peon

Best Answers:
    I use vista

qcyzjg, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  12. walkere

walkere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Majority of a skewed sample set.

This forum targets people with some level of technical knowledge of computers and the internet. These people would be much more likely to see the merits of Linux than, say, my mother.

She just got Vista because it came on her new laptop. Until then, she had Windows XP.

Similarly, my website's logs show that 66% of people use Firefox. I know that isn't true. But the sample set that my site appeals to (people that develop web applications or design websites) tend to use Firefox more than anything else.

Statistics are dangerously ambiguous. Don't quote them with such authority.

For the record, I voted Linux and use Ubuntu on my main computer.

- Walkere

walkere, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  13. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    I voted linux. I hate vista with a passion, so crappy.

Seiya, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  14. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I quoted my statistic, you knew exactly where the results came from. Don't act all high and mighty for knowing what was given to you in my post.

If we are going to be using examples then, a friend of mine who rarely uses computers (mainly for school and internet) thought it was really stupid and more complicated than it should be. As a contrast, I showed my girlfriend a version of linux (shes not very computer savvy either) and she liked how straightforward it was. If you want to use an office program, you go to applications => office. She figured out the basics in no time. She likes vista to an extent but all she does is surf the internet, and she was complaining about IE so I switched it to firefox and she loves that too.

And to give you some leverage my grandmother just loves vista. I like vista as well, but I think linux for its purpose can just do what vista can and more. So, in my opinion, it is better.

I'm not talking how accepted it is, we already know its vista. I'm talking about what may be better for the user. Which I think is linux.

D_C, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  15. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    techpr, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  16. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    both are TOP at there places
    i think we cant compare both of them with each other

cchetanonline, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  17. Alfie87

Alfie87 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have installed a look-a-like of vista, it works properly and it's faster than the real...

Alfie87, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  18. sparckyz

sparckyz Peon

Best Answers:
    I've always used Windows and really like Vista. At the same time I also messed around a lot with Linux Debian and a few other flavors and although using Linux may make you look like a Wiz! with computers; I found it was only really useful to me as a server :p.

sparckyz, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  19. JoodenG

JoodenG Peon

Best Answers:
    I like linux because is free&kind!

JoodenG, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  20. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Peon

Best Answers:
    Really, you consider yourself an 'intellect'? Do you mean intellectual? Sorry, but I doubt it...

entertainment - Yes, Amarok is the best media player out there and at the moment it is Linux only. Some nice free games to waste your time.

games – Kind of, wine + cedega will play a good number of games. All of ID's games run natively on Linux. You also get that mind numbing game World of Warcraft...

office applications are jus a clone of microsoft office - That is bad because? What would you rather have, software you pay $100s for or a free clone? If you want Office just run it under Wine, all versions bar 2007 run fine.

customer support - Yes, Dell do sell Ubuntu machines with customer support. Second there is a lot of information out there in forums and websites. I'd rather get support from a forum than ring a clueless customer assistant (it plugged in?', etc.)

user friendliness - Yes, run Ubuntu and you'll find it is friendly. I must admit other variations of Linux can be very, very daunting and hopeless for new users; however, they are not intended for new users -- whilst Ubuntu is. You can install/uninstall software with one click and most operations are done via GUI, you don't need to even think about what a terminal is.

third party applications - Less that is true, but you can run many Windows applications in Wine. Second pretty much all the Linux applications are free.

Saiyanora, Mar 2, 2008 IP
    D_C likes this.