1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should I do/who should I hire? re MT/WP, old style URLs, and database splitting

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by jim, Mar 1, 2006.

I need some advice on whether to upgarde to WP 2.1 or MT 3.2 and who to hire to do all the work for me. Here's my situation:

I want to update my old movable type 2.64 blogs to either MT 3.2 or Wordpress 2.1. Honestly I think I prefer Wordpress a little but I just want to do whichever one is easier. Or I should say whichever one I can hire someone to do for me more easily.

My biggest concerns are:

1. Right now I have 6 blogs sharing one database and someone will have to take the comments and posts for each blog and put them into a new database so that each blog has it's own databse after the update.

2. I need to keep the old style URLs (.com/archives/000555.html) or redirect old Movable Type URLs to new MT or WordPress URLs because many people have linked to the old URLs.

I don't know what .htaccess redirect rules will do to my SEO and link popularity. I know one person had to add encode_php="qq" and str_replace("_", "-", ...) in order to make URLs correct. I don't know what that means I jsut read it somewhere.

So what should I do (MT or wordpress), how should I handle the old urls, and who should I hire?

jim, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  2. sufyaaan

sufyaaan Banned

Best Answers:
    Sharing one database among six different blogs isn't something that I would worry too much about if things are going OK.

As for the old URLs, I think your best bet would be to implement mod_rewrite on your webserver with a 301 redirect to the new URLs.

Talking of choosing between MT or WP, I would say you take a look at mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/08/movable-type-32-impressions

Hope this helps... :D

sufyaaan, Mar 1, 2006 IP
    jim likes this.
  3. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the help. I have considered leaving them all on the same database, but if I decide to sell one, this becomes something of a problem...

jim, Mar 2, 2006 IP