1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web design business - what hosting should I use?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by powwka, Feb 27, 2008.

I'm thinking about making websites for businesses in my area, and I'm not sure what to do about hosting. At first I thought I would just get one regular hosting account from HostGator and that allows unlimited domains, so I would just put everyone's domain on that hosting account.

But I just saw their Reseller Hosting package and now I'm thinking maybe I should get that.

Is anyone doing this right now, and what do you think I should do?

powwka, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  2. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Millions are doing it right now (and thats half the problem)

Dont go for budget hosting, as you are selling the hosting dont go for budget "unlimited" stuff etc as ultimately you will be seen as responsible for it. You could do the worlds best design but stick it on a server that goes down every few days or is just really slow and all you will get is negative reputation for being a rubbish company to go with.

If you are intending to be a "nice" web designer then go for a resellers account so that each of your clients can log in and download their own server logs/ setup their own email boxes etc rather than having to come to you every 5 minutes. If on the other hand you want to charge people $50 each time they want a new mailbox setup then a standard hosting account would be fine.

AstarothSolutions, Feb 27, 2008 IP
    powwka likes this.
  3. technolarity

technolarity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get Dreamhost - cheapest hosting with great uptime & easiest to manage panel.

(I think you mean you'll be developing websites for shops etc. & everything from domain to hosting to designing will be yours)

technolarity, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  4. Dizmatic

Dizmatic Peon

Best Answers:
    Reseller package is the way to go. You will be able to have full control of all the sites and charge for web hosting.

Dizmatic, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  5. towerhill

towerhill Peon

Best Answers:
    Reseller account is the way to go and a good compliment to a design business. Check out webhostingtalk.com and do some research on resellers and they have a reseller offer section for hosting deals.

towerhill, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  6. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with other that a reseller account is a good thing for you. We have many customers like you, a web design firm. Some of them even don't like to provide hosting support for their customers, they want to spend their time on their business, so they hire us to do that part. Just make sure to choose the right vendor for your needs, don't go with overselling hosts, then you can be fine

gate2vn, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  7. Whackahost.com

Whackahost.com Member

Best Answers:
    Hi whats up? You can check out our site www.whackahost.com
    Click on the free support link and we can help put you in the right direction.
    We have reviews on lots of different web hosts as well.

Whackahost.com, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  8. webrehash

webrehash Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a reseller account with Hostgator. I wrote a review of Hostgator on my blog last week. The only problem I run into with hosting clients, is I'm responsible for the problems they run into. They always call me which can be a massive money losing proposition.

For example, I have a client hosted and they work with a 3rd party computer consultant. He wanted to put them on Postini to filter their email. I changed the MX entries on my end, and he screwed up the Postini side. The client wasn't getting their email, and of course I got the blame. I spend probably 6 hours trying to sort out his mess, and all I get out of it is my monthly hosting fee. From now on, I'm just giving clients my HostGator affiliate link and having them sign up directly. That way when something gets whacked, I don't have to deal with it.

webrehash, Feb 28, 2008 IP
    powwka likes this.