1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Overall Global Click Fraud Rate-28.3%

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by COBSolutions, Feb 27, 2008.

1. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this info tell us something and somewhere we should aware of. can we ban or filter those countries?

MFAs sure is against TOS. and google didn't owned all the blogs they just provided the service. it's the blog owners that use it in the wrong way.

tradeya, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  2. koan

koan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I'm not saying the OP is trying to sell anything, I'm saying the stats he found might be from a biased company's news release or something. It happens all the time.

Ex: Press release from Norton saying that there's an epidemic of virus and everybody must buy their latest software.

It doesn't help that he does not even provide the source. You can't pull figures like that out of the blue, 98% of people know that ;)

koan, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  3. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i always thought it would be a big number but didn;t think that much. all those greedy suckers ruining it all for the rest of us

sultanofseo, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Actually 28.3% is not that bad, I can't imagine what the figures would be if Google Adsense did not toughen up their enforcement policies.

wisdomtool, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  5. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep- those are accurate figures. They might be from ClickForensics, which is a biased party in this. However, you do need to consider that while 28% of clicks are made with no intention of interest- which is something that is remarkably difficult to measure, that doesn't mean that all of these clicks are not discredited. In fact, the majority of these clicks are detected and removed, as far as we can tell.

whooped, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  6. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    But since it is so difficult to detect or measure how would the clicks be removed in the first place.

7. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    Click fraud detection is suprisingly sophisticated. Having worked with ad networks for some time, now, I can say that even lower tier networks have great technology, and I shudder to think what Google has. From a quick look at the forums, many people are getting the idea that click fraud detection is only based on IP tracking.

It's difficult to measure a user's intention when all you have is some data about what they clicked on. By using multiple data points to establish patterns- which is what 60% of click fraud tech is based on, you can get a good idea of which clicks are real, and which are probably not.

whooped, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  8. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    I would guess it is based on heuristics and behavior patterns etc, but whether the 28% click frauds are filtered off or those that remain would be difficult to say.

9. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure that the 28% refers to percent of invalid clicks, not invalid clicks that are not counted. If 1 out of ever 4 clicks were fake, there would be an industry outrage.

The wording of the report is deliberately left vague: Its from the Click Fraud Index by Click Forensics http://www.clickforensics.com/Pages/ClickFraudIndex.aspx

Obviously, if they throw a scare, they get more customers. Click Fraud is a serious issue, but far less than 28% is actually being paid for on most reliable networks.

whooped, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  10. passinthru

passinthru Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey wait a minute, everyone! Before we get all depressed over the big "28.3%", could we get some confirmation of this number?

The official word from Shuman Ghosemajumder (business product manager @ Google) is <10%

From paragraph 5
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7284
    "Figures varied between 14% and 20% of clicks as being fraudulent but Ghosemajumder said these estimates were “exaggerated”. “The total number of invalid clicks on average is in the single digits, quarter over quarter,” he said."

This article was from Nov 2006. Maybe the numbers went up in the last year, but I'd like to see some solid evidence (from Google). Third party click fraud companies exaggerate the numbers because it means more business for them if they can scare advertisers, like whooped said above.

Btw, Shuman specifically mentioned the ClickForensics numbers as "much higher than what we see at Google".
    http://shumans.com/articles/000048.php

passinthru, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  11. COBSolutions

COBSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah i got it from clickforensics.com and i dont work for them:D

thanks for clearing that up

wait....is google the only the ppc company....maybe it is possible google has enough checks in place for ppc fraud....but what about others ypn, msn adcenter and 'n' number of other companies which dont have such systems in place.......so they are jacking up the number......but if not checked in time clickfraud will take us all down the drain

Since years it is only increasing with more number of people taking to online and more advertisers looking up online advertisement as a source of business generation

COBSolutions, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  12. lalitnagrath

lalitnagrath Banned

Best Answers:
    that doesnt work !!

lalitnagrath, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  13. kashifmahmood

kashifmahmood Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is such a shame . Not to mention adwords advertisers are paying that from their pockets for free :(

kashifmahmood, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  14. passinthru

passinthru Peon

Best Answers:
    Oops! :eek: Sorry, I didn't read the thread title carefully! I see your point. The 28.3% number is Global Click Fraud, not just google. In that case, you're absolutely right.

Google probably has the lowest click fraud due to their clever click fraud prevention methods. The other ad networks probably have much more fraud going on. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even higher than 28.3% overall.

:( Very true.

But maybe if we stick with the trusted ad networks (Adsense etc) we will not feel the drain as badly. Google's (relatively) low click fraud is probably why they can afford to pay publishers more than any other network. For now, at least........

passinthru, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  15. Clifford

Clifford Peon

Best Answers:
    hey how do they determine such details I wonder

Clifford, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  16. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not a difficult calculation, really. # of invalid clicks/# of total clicks gives you the percent of click fraud :)

whooped, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  17. Clifford

Clifford Peon

Best Answers:
    haha so that is only the percentage they are aware of wow :)

Clifford, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  18. lightninggate

lightninggate Guest

Best Answers:
    I've watched 8 different people at the 2 libraries I take my daughter to, going to websites, only to click on their ads. 2 of these people I have seen doing the same at both libraries. Now, where I live there are 21 libraries that would take 2 hours to go to.

Now do the math 21 libraries (21 IP's) + 30 minutes of free surfing, with people targeting high cost keywords.

What can be done about this, I've reported it to 'g', call them, emailed them, no reply other than "We'll investigate the problem", and even a "We deem it unethical to block public access to our programs". That's just one reason I stay out of the >$1.00 keywords.

lightninggate, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  19. COBSolutions

COBSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose what else can they say other than those "we will investigate" as you said 21 libraries in a city and thousands er..millions of cities around the world....how much can google do.....don't we also have the responsibilities fo educating people....just a sentence to them "dude this wont get you far....get cracking with your ass and make some money"...atleast 1/10 understands what it means....makes a lot of difference

My 2 cents;)

COBSolutions, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  20. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    What's the source of these numbers?
    30% is quite a big number. I'm really surprised.

zexy, Mar 1, 2008 IP