1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ok I learned my lesson..I have a completely new website...

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by wocket, Feb 27, 2006.

Can you please rate the background image, my content(I know I only have one article right now), and the ad placement?

yoga.us.to

I don't want to violate TOS this time, so please guide this newbie.

I still have to add a LOT more content to the home page, etc but it's a start.

wocket, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  2. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    The image is beautiful and despite its size fast loading.
    Lose it.
    You won't be able to read text over it, no matter the color.
    Also, lose the landing page. it is redundant and will tend to make people hit the BACK button.

And no more being naughty, OK?

Mister Tut, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  3. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    What Tut said, but I'd add this:

Stop trying to make a buck off Adsense before your site is ready to be "sold" to visitors. Why are you so anxious to slap Adsense on everything? Look, if you really want to do this right, just ignore the fact that Adsense exist, and concentrate on building the site's content, ranking, backlinks, etc. I don't know who lied to you, but you are not going to get rich off Adsense in the first month. Or the second. Or third. Etc. So stop with the crappy one-link sites and either put your effort into building a decent site or stop asking us to waste our time "reviewing" your one-linkers.

jackburton2006, Feb 27, 2006 IP
    TheHoff, corinaw and Liminal like this.
  4. wocket

wocket Guest

Best Answers:
    ok added 2 more articles, some more are coming up. I made the text highlighted so it's easier to read.

also, tell me if the content is hard to understand.

wocket, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  5. fablex

fablex Peon

Best Answers:
    You should really remove the background image. Try viewing your site with a 1280x1024 resolution. The background will be repeated even when there is no scrollbar.

I really advise you to get a CMS. It is by far easier to manage a good site with that, than with just html. Try Worpress (wordpress.org). Perfect blogging system, easy to install, and easy to use.

In order to get adsense income, you need a website that atracts visitors. I'm not trying to crack your site down or anything, but at the moment, it doesnt really look like a site that i will visit often, since the text is difficult to read even with the white on black. Instead, try it the other way around, take a white background (instead of the image), with black or darkgrey text, its better for the eye. Also make a standard menu on each page, so visitors can move around better. They dont want to go back to the mainpage in order to go to the next article.

Anyway, good luck with the site and keep adding good content!

fablex, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  6. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Get rid of the background image - it looks amateurish and it makes any text too hard to read. You need to put a lot more work into the site if you hope to make money with it.

Concentrate on fixing the design and then adding a lot more relevant content.

mjewel, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  7. wocket

wocket Guest

Best Answers:
    completely new design. I still have to work on the homepage, right?

still, more content coming.

wocket, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  8. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm happy you are taking the high-road wocket; I'll second jackburton and add the following:

Every awesome website, starts with ONE page. It does not *hurt* to have adsense when you start out, but if you are serious about generating online income, and it IS possible, it takes time, knowledge, and bit more than what I’m seeing on your site today.

You might think I’m picking on you, but I’m not-: I’m trying to help (especially) because of the threads a few days ago where you had a “get rich quick” mentality. So you may have learned a lesson, but I do think your focus is still off.

Unless you are willing to educate yourself on building a really great site, SEO, not to mention adsense TOS, a slapped up site with a couple pages of ads is wasting your time. Though if you keep building on what you have, it is a start.

The first step to success is to make an awesome website, with unique and valuable content. Don’t take short cuts, and don’t copy another sites content.

Read the search engine optimization forum on DP and read tips on optimizing your site: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 (None of the pages I looked at had any seo to speak of, just a title. IMO You need a better title, add a description, keywords and some headers at a minimum)

Then start working on links: Trade links with other yoga sites and directories. (If you don't have visitors, there is no one to click the ads.)

I didn’t know a thing about html 15 months ago. That’s when I built my site from the ground up, (and rebuilt it several times since). I’ve worked day and night learning html, css, graphics optimization, seo, ranking, and all things web related. I added adsense to my site about 8 months ago.

My 15 month journey has been long and sometimes frustrating, and probably took longer than most, but I followed the steps I outlined for you above, and I have something pretty successful to show for it.

Stay on the high road, and keep reading the forums so you can be successful too.

corinaw, Feb 28, 2006 IP
    Mister Tut likes this.
  9. wocket

wocket Guest

Best Answers:
    ok more articles added. once I get to about 10 articles I will actively promote it and add it to the list of good yoga sites on wikipedia.org

wocket, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  10. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Because your site is very light on design, I would refrain from adding those Google referral buttons. Or just add one at the bottom if you must. Two is overkill because they stick out like sore thumbs.

jackburton2006, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  11. wocket

wocket Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, I added some pictures to some of the poses and fixed up some glitches on the title bar.

wocket, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  12. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    OK, Wow that is a much improved site! You are coming along great. Keep your appearance simple and understated like it is now, and just keep adding good content.

You may need to experiment a bit to find your optimal ad placement, but generally you are doing fine now.

Mister Tut, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  13. kk22bbme

kk22bbme Peon

Best Answers:
    is that your site???
    what's its content??
    i can't see anything but text and links..

kk22bbme, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  14. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    Follow the links and read the text. The text is the content. Pretty pictures do not necessarily make a website great.

15. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    EDITED: I don't know why you bother. Just give up and go rob a bank.

jackburton2006, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  16. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Be Nice.....

MediaHustler, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  17. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not worth the effort. This guy will disappear in 2 weeks when he realizes he can't make a buck with his MFA sites.

jackburton2006, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  18. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    This site is actually good.
    Jackburton, I don't know what you're on about, but he has asked for advice and has taken it- his site is clean with useful content and has only one adsense unit per page.
    What's your issue with this site/person?

19. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Eh, I guess I was just grumpy. :) Although I don't know how you can call what he has there "useful content". He probably just cut/paste them from someone else's site. I bet if you googled his articles, you'd find it appearing somewhere else.

jackburton2006, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  20. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    I've had days like that. ;)

I occasionally deal with yoga in one of my sites, and I believe that the content is quality, although illustrations would be typical for demonstrating poses.

Now you may be totally correct about t he content theft, but I like to give folks the benefit of a doubt. Yes, some call me naive:)

If I have a chance later today I'll Copyscape his content and report back.

Mister Tut, Mar 3, 2006 IP