1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Adsense and Blogs

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by claypage, Dec 13, 2004.

I have a blog on my site which displays Adsense Ads. However, the only ads that are displayed are ones that have to do with blogging. I thought google was supposed to put ads based on the content of the pages? The only time there were ads based upon content was close to the election when I mentioned one thing about Bush and Kerry. ALL of the ads had something to do with the election from that point on. However, since then, they only focus on blogging, and nothing else. Am I doing something wrong? Should I move the ads?

Thanks,
    Matt

claypage, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  2. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My ads on my blog go through phases where they advertise blogging too, but then they do eventually start showing correct topics based on what I've been writing about recently. The AdSense bot doesn't check blogs that often I think, so it takes a long time for the ads to change, but they do eventually change.

stephfoster, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  3. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see the word blog in your text, as well as in the url. Google will pick this up and display those ads. You can selectively tell google you don't want those ads showing up (you need to get the url of the ads and put them on your don't show ad list within adsense).

Infiniterb, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  4. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You do have the word 'blog' appearing a lot in your source code. Your rss, the folder etc.... I am pretty sure that the mediabot picks all the up and prolly says "this page is relevant to blogs" and as such display blog related AdSense ads. Others may disagree...

NewComputer, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  6. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you think I should rename the folder to something else? On second thought, is there a way to block keywords?

7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Can't block keyword. Can block advertisers.

You can make Mediabot reconsider by altering the words on your pages. Try indeed the folder and H tags etc. to steer the bot in the right direction.

T0PS3O, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  8. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll try changing the folder. Hopefully it won't mess up the blog :) And maybe I'll see some improvements!

9. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha... tried the rename. It didn't work. I think bBlog would have to be reinstalled or something because it gives me errors if I rename the directory. I'm too much of a novice to try anything else. I don't want to delete my blog.

10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Right above the ads it says 'blog' as well. Some people found that text in close vicinity trigger the ads more than other factors. Change that or add something that relates to the content you want relevant ads for.

T0PS3O, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  11. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    So about how long does it take for the blocked URLs to become effective? Also, it mentioned the Adsense Preview Tool. How do I get that?

12. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with all the others - you mention blog and blogging too much in the site. In the URL, in content, in side bar, in your header menu.

Its a frustration that many bloggers face.

I also find that blogs don't perform well unless they are highly targeted on a particular topic or theme. For some reason if you write about 5 or 6 different topics on a blog - they dont perform as well as if you had 5 or 6 different blogs on those topics. 'General' or personal blogs tend not to do very well.

oziii, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  13. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that this is both true and untrue at the same time. Yes, blogs can be difficult to effectively make revenue from, but it is only because of the ads being served and the content on the blog. If the code and pages are written properly for whatever you are selling or telling, you can make a decent amount off a blog. If you allow your blog to ping when updated, you will see more traffic and that will most likely result in higher CTR etc...

As for the folders etc... yes, you will probably have to reinstall your bBlog software, but I think it would be more effective than blocking url's. You dont really know, after blocking saying 10 - 20 urls what the next batch of ads will be. Better to build it right so the right adds display.

NewComputer, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  14. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree NewComputer - in fact I make a full time living off my blogs. But I find that they are generally at their most profitable when they are highly targeted and well thought through in design and SEO. When you get the mix right I think they are one of the best opportunities for making money online going around.

oziii, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  15. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should also try reducing numbers of wide skyscrapers. Otherwise you may end up getting lower revenue with these "blog" ads. I suggest you to use 1 normal skyscraper only. ( This will prevent dilution of ads, hence more targetted relevant ads will be displayed )

Also there is a title " Powered by bBlog the free PHP Blogging script." Which I think is drawing more adsense bot's attention.

My 2 cents.

Tuning, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  16. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll continue to investigate. Unfortunately, I can't remove the "Powered by bBlog" bit or else I'll lose support for it.

17. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the bBlog text will hurt you in the grand scheme of things. But having the word blog so often would hurt.

Infiniterb, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  18. claypage

claypage Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a follow up on my earlier post. I haven't changed the folder name yet, but I did block some urls. I did a post about my apartment's mailboxes, and now all my ads have something to do with mailboxes. I guess at least it's drawing from my content now.

claypage, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  19. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    woohooo...well done. Sometimes I find my sites go through phases....

oziii, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  20. domfos

domfos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This happened to me on a stock trading blog once. I had to take any mention of RSS, Wordpress and Blog off the site until Adsense started to behave itself.

domfos, Mar 22, 2006 IP