1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Design pointer needed

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by AlwaysLearning, Feb 27, 2006.

I'm new here. Hi!

We're launching an exposure site, www.them-o.com/blog in late March. Having spent a while getting the method of delivering content it's time to go back a stage and get the design right.

There's been tons of trawling for good design of this type of site, but no luck. Everything our graphics man comes up with would need a few hundred Web gurus to code. So I'm looking for a middle way. Something that will come out crisp and clear in different countries/cultures whilst keeping content in one place. We need a colour scheme with an impact that will not be lost when photos/icons/images are added to particular posts.

Our main hurdle is caused by wanting each page to sit within the four walls of an average 1024 x 768 display.

Grateful for any design ideas/pointers/URLs.

TIA

BTW, take no notice of the home page, it will change. It was put up for SEO sandboxing whilst the site is under development.

AlwaysLearning, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  2. someguy

someguy Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats quite a loose brief but...

If a site needs to be flexible design wise the trick is keep it simple, don't get carried away. Also by keeping it simple it will allow you have a fluid design that will expand and contract to any reasonable screen resolution.

To decide on a colour scheme and imagery you need to answer the question, "What message do you wish to project?"

That the site is informative? Easy to use? Modern cutting edge? Once you have defined the message you can start thinking about the design.

someguy, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  3. slickricky

slickricky Active Member

Best Answers:
    First, I've never seen a design that couldn't be coded by one person who knows what they're doing. In fact I'd venture a guess that your designer is either being lazy or just doesn't know how to code something that they've designed.

With the current design on your site, it looks like you need to set a min and max width on your site, because as you size the page it's gets screwy. You're also going very horizontal with your site. It's much easier for people to scroll down than side to side, so I would suggest moving some stuff to the left. Lastly, the color is most a taste thing. You could have 10 designers look at your site and come up with 10 different color schemes. There's no one color scheme that's going to make it 100 times better. Just rely on your taste for that. Layout though is a different story. Some layouts lend them selves better to easier navigation and functionality.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions feel free to ask : )

slickricky, Feb 28, 2006 IP