1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to argue for the existence of god without using faulty logic?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Do all arguments for the existence of god rely on faulty logic?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
    Are there any arguments for the existence of god that don't rest entirely on logical fallacies?

If not, Then shouldn't any argument for the existence of god be dismissed entirely on the grounds that it is based on flawed logic?

I would love to hear some examples for the existence of god that use sound logic, So if you have any, Let's hear them.

stOx, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  2. readezarchive

readezarchive Active Member

Best Answers:
    The way I see it, we either came from something or we came from nothing. If something (I'm going to refer to something as God) created us then we have meaning. If we came from nothing, then we are a part of nothing.

how can everything in the universe have purpose and meaning, and not human beings?

A car takes you places, a hammer hits things, shoes protect your feet, jackets keep you warm, bees make honey, keys unlock things, and the moon keeps the earth on its axis.

How can the most intelligent and complex beings in existance be random and meaningless? If we have the ability to give meaning to things, how can it be that we are meaningless?

readezarchive, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  3. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    let's consider a random object floating in the universe (e.g. a piece of rock or a little star some 2746 lightyears from us. What is the 'purpose' of that?

cientificoloco, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  4. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The assumption that the first cause must be god is fallacious.
    False premise. Not everything in the universe has a purpose.
    Argument from design.
    Non-sequitur

stOx, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  5. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    The "purpose" of that rock in space is obviously to be a rock in space. The meaning of that rock is obviously that it is a rock. To argue in favor of God on the grounds that without a creator we are meaningless seems like a logical fallacy to me. Is the egg not an egg without the chicken who laid it? Of course it is an egg, whether I cooked the chicken or not.

Best argument I can come up with is that God is the convergence of all causes and effects. The beginning of all things and also the end. The combined forces of the universe, their behaviors and processes all rolled together. Growth and development as well as entropy and destruction are the byproducts of these forces. All things and energies at all times. God being the space/time continuum as well as being outside it and beyond it, such as emotion and imagination can seem to transcend space/time.

But if you define God differently or more complex than that then I sound like a heathen or a fool, subjective reality at its finest. But then again logic is not the great force of the universe it is made out to be. Emotion has a valuable place in the world as well, for instance in the realm of art and entertainment. To place logic as the greatest force in the universe is in itself illogical.

earthfaze, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  6. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody said it was the greatest force in the universe. We are saying it is required when making sound arguments that make sense.

stOx, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  7. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    And I somewhat agree Stox. But to say that God cannot exist unless logically proven to do so is the opposite of your thread title and I am just pointing out, that that is also a logical fallacy. I can't prove there is a God so therefore one must not exist. Either way I think my definition of God and my argument for it's existence is logical even if it is unprovable.

8. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The existence of God can never been proven by human logic. It is based on faith.

This itself is a proof, since God is the creator, we shouldn't be able to prove his existing with our human logic.

Peace,

Barti1987, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  9. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    God's non-existence cannot be proven with logic either. Atheism just looks like another religion to me, assuming answers to unknowable questions.

korr, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  10. komirad

komirad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing is beyond logic. If anything is beyond logic, then we can just illogically create ourselves, why do we need a God?

The fact is, we cannot prove or disprove existence of a God or Gods. There might be a "creator", but there is no evidence, hence we leave that as an unknown(for now). And the Gods that many people worship now just seems very unlikely, especially when they are said to be "perfect". I am sure if some God is "perfect" and made Man in his image, he wouldn't have failed or even made a mistake or want to play hide and seek.

komirad, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  11. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of things seem to be beyond logic. Most phobias for instance. Love hurts is another example of something that seems illogical but to many rings true. Emotions in general do not always follow logical causes and can evoke illogical responses.

12. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody said god can't exist unless logical proven. I said every argument for the existence of god should be dismissed because it contains faulty logic. The argument for god can be dismissed on the grounds that it's logic is flawed.

We aren't talking about proving the existence of anything. Everybody read what i am saying very carefully. I am talking about the arguments for the existence of god. The arguments.

stOx, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  13. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If God exists, I will enter heaven. Atheists will enter hell.

If he doesn't exist, I am not losing anything. I don't kill, rape or do bad things just like a normal atheist.

Peace,

Barti1987, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pascals wager.

Of course, that reasoning relies entirely on your assumption that if a god does exist it will be the one you have chosen to believe in and you entirely ignore the fact that through history there have been thousands of gods who make exactly the same threats of hell and promises of rewards.

stOx, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  15. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    If you define God as I do, as everything manifest and unmanifest and also something that is omniscient, then to prove God's existence is as easy as proving that everything shares a collective conscious. Jung seemed to think it likely, but of course proving it is, so far beyond the realm of human possibility.

First we would have to be able to define and quantify the totally of reality. Then we would have to see if all things in that reality where conscious. And finally we would have to discover if all those things shared some part of that consciousness.

If all things created and all things yet to be created, including thoughts, feelings, ideas, and emotions constitute the totality of all reality, including inner reality such as the subconscious, then it is not a very far step to believe that some part of that reality is shared across space/time with everything. That is to say that reality has some consciousness of itself that is shared with everything reality contains. Even if that sharing is as simple as the fact that everything has a consciousness.

The question is "If I am conscious of my existence, is existence conscious of itself and if so then does that make it conscious of all selves." The question is too big to even put odds on. You can't even say it's 50/50 whether or not there is a conscious all knowing power to the universe, because even the term universe is a placeholder word for all things, which of course we do not know of "all things".

So there is your logical argument for the possibility of a God. It is as possible that reality knows itself as it is that you do. Of course this is all philosophy. If you were looking for science you shouldn't ask philosophical questions.

earthfaze, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ok, go on. prove it.
    welcome back to square one. see the OP.

stOx, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  17. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    It can't be done, you can't prove or disprove God's existence with logic.

korr, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  18. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can you prove that God does not exist using logic?

Dont you realize that religion/faith is NOT logical so how can it be explained or proven logically?

YES everything that exists has a purpose. It is silly to say otherwise. A 'things' purpose may not be evident to you but it is there nonetheless.

kentuckyslone, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  19. sami1255

sami1255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i guess its truly based on faith.. you can't prove it with human logics.. Has there been a human logic and existence of God is proven.. there wont be this many religions and atheists..

sami1255, Feb 27, 2008 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  20. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Re-read your own posts :D
    You said a logical argument and I made one. I didn't set out to prove anything just to propose a logical argument for the possibility. If I could prove the existence or non-existence of any God, I would own the internet :D

earthfaze, Feb 27, 2008 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.