1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you have nightmares about clicking on your own ads?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Ellen C. Braun, Feb 26, 2006.

Do you ever break into a cold sweat at 4:00am and imagine that you or your kid accidently clicked on your own ad, and you've been banned by the big G for life?

My husband is kinda Internet clueless, and yesterday I showed him the parenting site I'm building (check back in a few days, there will be an awesome tool to help parents!) and explained to him how Adsense works, and he very nearly grabbed my mouse and clicked on one of my ads!!! I SCREAMED!!!

I learned never to leave my site up when the kids are around... what else do you do to ascertain that you don't accidently click on your own ads??

Ellen C. Braun, Feb 26, 2006 IP
    FeedBucket likes this.
  2. joseph29

joseph29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I too have nightmares about my son, my wife, my family ... I wonder if there is a script to show something different to people who hit my site from my state. I'd be willing to take a slight hit in my earning if I could insure that no one from my state was even seeing ads.

joseph29, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  3. Shadow

Shadow Peon

Best Answers:
    From your state - maybe, it's not that easy, but for your own PC - sure. Not that I know where to find one but writing one isn't really a problem. I shall write me one today :D

Shadow, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  4. cpvr

cpvr Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe you can block the ads from your ip range - but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

cpvr, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  5. eKstreme

eKstreme Guest

Best Answers:
    I've had to very very bluntly explain to all my friends and family that as much as they might think it's free money for me, it might end up costing me. Everyone now knows better.

eKstreme, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  6. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    There is the well-known solution to avoid displaying your ads for you and your family -including the children-, by adding a line to the hosts file on the computers in your home.

Juan G, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  7. joseph29

joseph29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I can block the ads on my computers, but I'm worried more about my family and friends computer's. They simply don't understand the gravity of clicking. Heck my uncle came up to me at christmas and said, "So you would make more money if I logged in and click a couple of ads everyday." I almost passed out...

So my thinking was if I could block everyone in my state because most of my family is here. Sure there would be a slight loss in income, but I would sleep better at night.

joseph29, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  8. tkluge

tkluge Peon

Best Answers:
    What about using Cookies and PHP for that?
    Just check if a specific cookie is (not) set and display - or not - with PHP the Google Ads code?

Tobias

tkluge, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  9. MamboCube

MamboCube Peon

Best Answers:
    i constantly think that ive been banned from google for this.

If i try to logon to adsense and it wont let me in, i think, OH MY GOD! IVE BEEN BANNED!, and think that one of my sisters has clicked on one of the ads.

Then i realise ive left one of the characters off the password lol.

Or if one of the ads doesn't display, and its just a white box, i know theres no problem, but it still doesn't stop me from getting abit worried.

MamboCube, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  10. lyndonw

lyndonw Peon

Best Answers:
    Ditto, I had an email about them recently about suspicious activity and got really panicky for a few weeks every time I logged into my account. Kept checking payment status too....

lyndonw, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  11. knowvak

knowvak Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to make it VERY clear to everyone that them clicking on my ads will not help me. I explain that I will be banned if they do it. So the only problem I have had with invalid clicks is the few I did myself unintentionally. I just notified G right away and got the standard Canned response.

Look at it this way, if you get banned because someone thought they were helping you out by clicking on the ads on your site, there is always YPN. Hopefully it will never come to that though.

knowvak, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  12. Ellen C. Braun

Ellen C. Braun Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Juan G,

I did not understand what to do based upon your post, that will not display adsense on my own computer.

Is there another link you can provide that will show non-geeks what to do step-by-step?

Thanks!

PS I slept really well last night...

Ellen C. Braun, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  13. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I accidently click on my own ads about once every 2 months. I average over 750 clicks a day so a single click has no meaningful effect on my revenue. I worry about it when it happens but I've never gotten in trouble for it. Probably due to the fact my clicks are so many, they must know a single click was unintended.

Its the scroll wheel on the mouse that causes the mishap. I'll be scrolling through my pages as I'm working on them and exert just a little too much pressure on the wheel which then turns into a click. Wouldn't that suck to get banned due to a scroll wheel!

DirtyDog, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  14. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Clicking your ads by accident a few times wont get you banned. Google simply filters out the IP address.

IamNed, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  15. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats cool then, as i am trying to update my site regular, i sometime worry if i ahev accidently click on a ad.

chachacallis, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  16. vangraan

vangraan Peon

Best Answers:
    Since Google can pick this up there is checks in place, why don't they not just ignore those clicks. Why ban people?

vangraan, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  17. ronmojohny

ronmojohny Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use firefox with an extension called adblock. It blocks ads, including adsense, so I CAN"T click on my own ads.. but if you want to see them, it's easily disabled with a simple "right-click, disable adblock" on the taskbar..

ronmojohny, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  18. Carlisle

Carlisle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I accidently clicked on my ads 2 times during last year but did not even get a warning. Google should be able to understand they are clicked unintentionally. Although adsense is one of the biggest revenue source of ours, it's not unique. If you have a realy good content site, there are always sponsors/ways to earn money. No need to worry so much

Carlisle, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  19. TheBrokenOne

TheBrokenOne Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah have nightmares all the time about it, wouldn't want to lose that $0.00 I've been making thats for sure *sighs*

TheBrokenOne, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  20. play

play Peon

Best Answers:
    play, Feb 27, 2006 IP