1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to protect my idea?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mcgauley10, Feb 21, 2008.

I have a new idea for a piece of software. I need someone to build it, however, I want to make sure that I can protect my idea. Can someone tell me how I would go about doing this?

Thanks in advance

mcgauley10, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  2. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Patent it, it would cost you around $20000 in 20 years. :D

it career, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  3. Broadway

Broadway Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there,
    If I understand correctly, you want someone to build a accustomed software for you. Isn't it??

Broadway, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  4. geekcognito

geekcognito Guest

Best Answers:
    Just go to a reputable programmer. Ask for references. Better yet, make friends with your fellow webmasters and as soon as you trust someone that you know has had some killer stuff programmed for them, ask who they use and trust.

geekcognito, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  5. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Before Patent it determine first whether your idea-qualifies for Patent.

bobchrist, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  6. Webfugitive

Webfugitive Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wish I could afford to give negative points to the responses that have been given thus far. As a entrepreneur one of the greatest tools at your disposal is a non-disclosure agreement. In the industry they are called NDA's. Before discussing your idea with anyone you need to make them sign one of these.

There are a few ways to go about this process. Hire an attorney to custom make an agreement for you (at usually a costly fee). Or find a pre-made one on the internet, at some of the websites that are used simply for free documents. I'd recommend docstoc.com (notice no affiliate link, but I usually charge for my consultancy :) ) These are slightly less 'water-tight' but usually after someone signs one it's enough for them not to try their luck.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or respond to this thread.

Webfugitive, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  7. savantcreative

savantcreative Peon

Best Answers:
    You can check Google Patents to see if your idea is unique and hasn't already been protected. Next step is to go to a patent attorney. This is where it can get expensive. Try to keep them on budget, interview a few of them and remember they bill by the hour.
    Best of luck!

savantcreative, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  8. Skurai

Skurai Peon

Best Answers:
    software can be patented? Wat kinda software gets patented? Microsoft OS isnt a patent either, as far as i know software is not exactly an invention. Its more of a competition.

Any1 can give examples of patented software. So i can look it up. Ty.

Skurai, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  9. jaffarbp

jaffarbp Member

Best Answers:
    just get someone you know personally so you can physically be a threat to him and that'll do... (find a programmer in the neighborhood ... )

jaffarbp, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  10. mcgauley10

mcgauley10 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for your responses.

In addition to protecting my idea, I also would like it to be turned into a reality. Besides elance, where could I find the right people for the job (which would not be a walk in the park)

mcgauley10, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  11. pcmpac

pcmpac Peon

Best Answers:
    Until you patent it you can always type out the premise of your idea and mail it to yourself. The postage date from the post office holds weight if you need it, until you get it patented.

pcmpac, Feb 25, 2008 IP