1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is SEM - Search Engine Marketing..Please Explain

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by XTreMe, Feb 24, 2008.

What is SEM - Search Engine Marketing..Please Explain

one of my friend having SMS Collection website........and he is getting a lot of traffic daily.
    and because of this i also created sms collection website but when i asked him how to promote it and how did you promote it?
    he told me that i used SEM and SEO , but he didnt tell me what he actually done!
    can anyone please tell me how can i promote my sms collection website using SEM and what is SEM.

my website is:

www.Apnaysms.net

XTreMe, Feb 24, 2008 IP
    imnajam likes this.
  2. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO is Search Engine Optimization, is a references to the optimization of the site’s pages, content, links, etc.

SEM is Search Engine Marketing. This is over all marketing to SEO in a way, but is bound in with marketing that is designed to help with search engine optimization via marketing methods like using Digg, CraigList, and Link Baits. Anything that is building on marketing, and helps with ranking in the search engines, by building links normally.

IM is Internet Marketing, and references to the over all industry, and defines that you do all your marketing via the internet with SEO, PPC, Emails, etc, but is very much entwined to the first two in most cases.

Your friend was probably talking about using SEO, and SEM (Some people will use the term SEM in the place of SEO) to build links, traffic, etc.

l3vi, Feb 24, 2008 IP
    XTreMe likes this.
  3. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sultanofseo, Feb 24, 2008 IP
    XTreMe likes this.
  4. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    willyboy104, Feb 24, 2008 IP
    XTreMe likes this.
  5. XTreMe

XTreMe Banned

Best Answers:
    so what should i actually do for SEM promotion for my website apnaysms.net ?

XTreMe, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  6. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you intend to do SEM, make sure you have money to spend:) I used google adwords for my SEM.

imnajam, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  7. PhpMaster

PhpMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are the basic steps to start optimizing your site for search engines:
    1. Decide with which keywords you want people to find your site or particular pages on your site. It's important to chose not more then 3 key phrases, since it would be easier to promote your site for a fewer quantity of keywords.
    2. Create valuable content on your site. Your content should contain your chosen keywords, and should be interesting to users.
    3. Start registering your site in directories, and other public resources. The more links you will have to your site, the better for you.
    4. You can also try to make link exchange with other sites similar to yours.

These are only basics, you'll need to learn more about this topic, to make it really work on you.

PhpMaster, Feb 25, 2008 IP
    XTreMe likes this.
  8. XTreMe

XTreMe Banned

Best Answers:
    that is really helpful ...
    thanks phpmaster
    rep added for you;)

do you have more tips about it?

XTreMe, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  9. Jonathan Hue

Jonathan Hue Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO is a little different then SEM.

In SEO you start optimizing your site first and get it ranked. But in SEM you PAY to get it ranked, or i should say ranked where your product is easily picked or CLICKED. SEM (search engine marketing) involves registering with online advertisement sites/engines like Google, Msn or Yahoo and getting you website/product promoted through Ads. You pay a portion when some one clicks on your Ad.

I would suggest SEM only if you have marketing budget for it, or else go for SEO.

Thank you

Jonathan Hue, Feb 27, 2008 IP
  10. XTreMe

XTreMe Banned

Best Answers:
    lol...i dont have market budget or any money to spend online for SEM finnaly i understand what is SEM...
    Thanks

XTreMe, Mar 5, 2008 IP