1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What next in Googles $ quest.

Discussion in 'Google' started by Cyclops, Feb 25, 2006.

What will Google come up with next in their quest to make a $.:mad:

Google is selling vintage commercials through its Google Video
    search. You heard right, if you want to view the commercial, you'll
    have to pay a dollar. Anybody else hear Gabriel's trumpet?

Just a few weeks ago advertisers paid $2.5 million for a 30-second
    ad on the Super Bowl. Looks like some are trying to make that money
    back. Granted the commercials for sale through Google Video are
    vintage-commercials we knew and loved as kids-but some of these
    companies are still around.

Cyclops, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    HelenM and DomainMagnate like this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google is selling them or the owners of the commercials are?

digitalpoint, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  3. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Just wondering, but your post looks an aweful lot like the beginning of this article at: Here Also I looked into it more and found that Google is allowing some content owners in a beta type program to charge a fee to view their products. While not open to everyone yet this program is being tested. Google is getting a small fee for the service of hosting and distributing the videos. Which there is nothing wrong with. Here is the link to Google about the video program they are testing: here

TheNetCode, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    NetMidWest and Sharpseo like this.
  4. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that NetCode, I caught the bit I posted on an RSS feed and couldn't find out much more about it.

It doesn't look they will make much out of this but it does give a view of what they will be trying to achieve in the future.
    Google will be charging for everything.

In a similar vein ISPs are looking to charge for sending emails, much like how you pay for a stamp to send a letter via snail mail.
    I can see the Govt getting in here and trying to take a percentage as well.

Cyclops, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  5. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey no problem. I just thought that post looked familiar LOL. As for them charging for everything I would also if I could. It is simply business. Plus they do deserve a small fee if they are using their network to promote someone elses items. That is only fair to them. :)

TheNetCode, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  6. bpeh_cart

bpeh_cart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google is trying to do too much. I suggest they concentrate on their search engine and take things one step at a time...so many changes recently and they are making my head spinning like crazy.

bpeh_cart, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  7. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not a major change. In terms of Google this is nothing more than a blip. As for concentrating only on search, well they do that well allready and have a dedicated staff to further improving this. As for other projects they are doing it is quite normal for any large company to keep researching new avenues of income. The minute they stagnate in one area and miss the next big thing they are swallowed up by the next big competitor that saw the change coming. It is very important for any company no matter their size to look for ways to further improve their position and keep themselves competive or ahead of the game.

TheNetCode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  8. rlynch

rlynch Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree...i dont see all these side ventures as a distraction

however if they were to get into offline biz, like a google car wash or something, then that would be too much

rlynch, Feb 26, 2006 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  9. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

LOL maybe a hamburger joint or two also, but seriously these types of programs are a logical extension of their business model.

TheNetCode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  10. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    All their side projects (earth, pages, etc) serve to draw more visitors to their website and create more buzz. That means more searches, more $.

Sharpseo, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  11. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im actually not that sure they are looking for something to make more money. They have $8bn in the bank, and from what weve seen google is much more concerned about world domination than money.

I think they will do things which will increase their world domination rather than their cashflow (for example, their new google charity fund)

dsm56, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  12. FujitsuBoy

FujitsuBoy Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree. What with scanning all these books, mapping the planet, and so forth it really seems to be (at least) information domination. I could see them expanding themselves to control as much of the information flow as possible (e.g. hosting, indexing, searching, net access, devices), effectively end-to-end control. Just a thought.

LOL GoogleBurger... (watch out for the pickles, they're still in beta)

FujitsuBoy, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  13. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL yea they will have bad side effects until they figure it out in a year.

TheNetCode, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  14. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    This answers that.....Google shares tumbled nearly 8% to $360.59 after its Chief Financial Officer George Reyes told investors at a Merrill Lynch conference that growth at the online search leader was slowing and the company would have to find new ways to boost revenues.

Cyclops, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  15. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw that also. It is like the first internet bubble though, they cannot always be going up. No company does forever. Allthough I do not envision a melt down like in 2000 to 2001.

Also as for them not looking for more income, Well in todays world of lets make the investors happy so our stock goes up type of management it is more logical for them to want $16 billion than $8 billion.

Not that this is right as we know to many companies layoff employees to increase this growth, but as a company or an idividual what is the difference. We all really want to make more money.

Now the real difference is when you factor in what we are doing with that money as a company to help the individuals working for us. It might be adding more well paying jobs to help people or giving existing employees higher wages. Whatever it is though we are judged on how we approach this new found wealth.

TheNetCode, Feb 28, 2006 IP