1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me choose a domain name? reviews/howto/blog

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by willpower101, Feb 22, 2008.

I'm new to this site so I'm not sure about particulars in the etiquette.

First, I think this is the right forum to get suggestions on a domain name to develop right? (as apposed to a forum only geared towards buying and selling names, ala namepro.com)

About my currently nameless site to be:
    (Hmm... How to keep it simple) Mainly, a different spin on typical technology review sites. The problem is that I have a lot articles about non-tech products. Incorporating them would pull focus to a more general site. I also have a ton of how-to's and mod's that would probably get their own tab. Lasty, I have a bunch of general learning info about math, business, ebay, poker, and more that would need their own tab as well.

I think I'd prefer to work on one huge site with a ton of quality content rather than split into a bunch of small sites. Computers and tech are probably my most knowledgable areas, but I have too much other usefull info to leave out, and not quite enough to have their own sites.

Now I just need a fitting and sticky name :confused:

willpower101, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  2. Dklein180

Dklein180 Peon

Best Answers:
    So what kind of blog will you be making?

Im not sure If I fully understand the question

Dklein180, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  3. willpower101

willpower101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I updated the first post to be more descriptive. (I'm a bit tired.) I currently have a list of potential names, but I should post them? Right now I'm just trying to feel out good name ideas. Keep in mind that the allure to the site will be the way it does reviews. Though I'm sure the articles will help drive traffic too. (possibly more at first)

Some thoughts...

A play on words of a taken name (as long as the site isn't similar)- Like changing the words to something similar sounding or iconic. eg. digitalcamerareviews vs snapshotcentral (bad example. but you get the gist)
    Pros- brandable, sticky
    Cons- less search / typin traffic. real spelling > your spelling

A Play on letters- digitaltechnology vs digitech vs digitek vs digitaltec
    pros- name still hightlights focus
    cons- see above

Using adjectives- thetechsite, besttekreveiws, etc
    pros/ cons - ?

Cliche words - forum, review, tech, buzz etc.
    pros/ cons- ? I'm actually not sure if it's a pro or a con to have cliche words. They are searched for often, but one could argue in favor of something off the wall and catchy.

90% brand words - GOOGLE, VERIZON, COMCAST, AMAZON, alexa?
    Pros - alot
    Cons - $$$ to marketing the name. I keep reading that it's a bad idea for a small site to try and develop like that.

I'm open to any suggestions or criticism, and am even still open to changing the site's focus.

willpower101, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  4. volcanicwasp

volcanicwasp Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what your after but maybe some of these could be of use

TechAsiaBlog.Com

ReviewsForLaptops.com

3dGameLab.com
    GadgetCentral.eu

3d-toys.com
    3d-networks.com
    3d-computers.com
    3d-gifts.com

volcanicwasp, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  5. willpower101

willpower101 Peon

Best Answers:
    The general idea is highly informative reviews on non-specific products in the computer industry. (I know it's beat to death, but I have mildly fresh idea, and like to write.) So with that in mind, I think something like techbuzz.com or techreviews.com.

But the problem comes where I have a ton of articles written or ready about the best items in other, random, non-tech categories. So how to fit these into such a specific name? Well, loosen up the name I guess. So I think of names like productreviews.com

But now that feels so VASTLY general, almost too much so. Plus I want to have how-to's and informative's also. So, I'm stuck inside this mental box trying to fit these broad topics together with such cliche words. (the cool thing is that since I've done my homework, I've a whole slew of taken examples to work with now:D)

I guess right now I'm trying to decide between more general, to the point names that incorporate proper spelling of the topic involved, or "play on words" names that are more brandable / memorable, but aren't the most descriptive.

Another problem is how to brand a site that's open ended like this. Lean towards tech or keep it general?

Lastly, is how to incorporate non-review content. Wouldn't it be a waste to put the content on a separate sites, if I only have, say 30 articles about each subject and write about them only once a month? Whereas, if I kept them on my main site, I could have several hundred, and probably build up to thousands within a year.

This last problem seems solvable by just buying a domain as my real name, calling it a blog, and throwing all my mixed content on it at once. Although, am I correct in assuming a website with a main purpose, (computerreviews.com) would have more staying power than a general blog, (davidspicks.com) ?

I'm starting to think I should just pick a more open-ended, brandable name. Then not worry about how the name describes the site, but focus on driving traffic and let the site describe the name. Is this effective?

willpower101, Feb 23, 2008 IP