1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Submission Spamming

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Las Vegas Homes, Feb 25, 2006.

I would like to understand why I have been called a spammer and having my sites tagged for non listability because of multiple sites suggested to Dmoz for inclusion in different states and categories.

I have sites in a few states that have been requested to be listed by Dmoz over the last 3 to 4 years. Only one site per state has been requested to be included in the agent directories for those cities/states. I am personally licensed as a Realtor in several states. There is no law which prohibits practicing or being licensed as a Real estate agent in multiple states. This can all be verifed by checking the National Association of Realtors.

What has caused Dmoz to red tag any sites I have had my webmasters suggest for inclusion in ODP? All of these sites are unique, they all have different unique content, different designs and located in different states and cities.

As for the history of my sites, I have 4 in use for Las Vegas. One is my old team member site homefinder, which was my main site, one is a site that use to be a team website for Atlanta, but I converted it to a personal Las Vegas site for myself..wayneandfriends, one is a community specific site wesellsevenhills and the last is our brand new site which is the only site we intend to promote as the others are outdated and offer very little use to the public. The new site was created for the purposes of opening a brand new real estate company in Las Vegas.

For Atlanta, there has been two sites, Atlanta homefinder and wayneandfriends. Atlanta homefinder has been for lease or sale for over a year now and states so on the homepage, wayneandfriends was coverted to a Las Vegas site over 15 months ago. Atlanta Homefinder by my recall was submitted almost 2 years ago.

There is 4 sites in Florida. Three of those sites were created for different cities in Florida, then we created the forth site which is a real estate company site that covers the whole state of Florida. The 3 other cities sites are being converted to the primary Florida site and these site shells are going to be used for agents within the company for those cities they target. None of the shell sites have been requested to be included in Dmoz. No Florida sites have been submitted by me or any of my employeed staff to Dmoz.

Now the only sites that I am aware of that have been submitted to Dmoz, would be the Las Vegas Homefinder and the Atlanta Homefinder. Neither Florida or the new site in Las Vegas have ever been submitted by me or my staff. I have never authorized no other sites than those two to every be suggested to Dmoz. So out of 9 sites only two have been submitted. How does this constitute me as being a spammer and violating Dmoz guidelines?

The only sites I wish to have included in Dmoz is the new Las Vegas site and the new Florida site once it is completed. How does this make me a spammer? All these sites are located in 2 different states, all have different content, all have different designs, all would be located in different categories. The one for Las Vegas would be agent category since the company is not licensed/registered yet, the Florida site would be company category.

I ask you to respond because I dont want to submit these new sites and continue this cycle of violating your guidelines as I have been accused. Please let me know if these sites have been submitted and all sites you show as being submitted so I dont violate your guidelines for submissions, plus where I may be able to address any conflicts from submissions we did not make to Dmoz.

Also if you dont mind let me know when they were submitted. If anything other than the two new sites have been submitted, reject the submissions as these sites are outdated.

If there is something that doesnt meet Dmoz guidelines, I am willing to make the corrections, I offer this to prove I am trying to comply with your guidelines, not to manipulate them. By making this site Dmoz compliant, I make the site more useful for Dmoz users.

My New sites are designed for the public and not a Dmoz submission, if there is something that doesnt meet your guidelines and doesnt affect the usability for our consumers, I have no problems changing it.

I look forward to your feedback and responses.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Las Vegas Homes, I think we were writing our posts at the same time. Please see what I wrote to you here.

This post is all very confusing. :eek: That confusion is likely the source of your listing troubles. If you can make a list of all the websites you own and have owned in the past and tell us which one is the main one, maybe we can figure out this tangled mess.

compostannie, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    flawebworks likes this.
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Just get over the DMOZ... nothing you say will affect anything they do over there. Worry about developing your site and building links elsewhere, really the best advice you can get.

mdvaldosta, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    rickbender1940 likes this.
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the bafflegab.

That a website is spread over multiple domain names doesn't make it eligible for multiple listings within ODP. When this situation arises, the editors will try to determine the root or parent domain name and list that in some appropriate category. Sometimes the parent isn't very obvious.

The real estate industry has been prominent in using this sort of technique, hence the need for our real estate guidelines (which probably ought to be called rules because they're non negotiable).

For clarification, a whole bunch of domain names in common ownership and all concerned with real estate are related. Our submission guidelines forbid suggesting related URLs.

OTOH, somebody who has a real estate website and an auto repair website would likely be eligible for two listings.

<added> Apologies to compostannie who'd already said pretty much the same thing but probably with greater clarity.

jimnoble, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    sidjf and flawebworks like this.
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    for how many listings, the one page, no content, affiliate door way pages from the same domain, qualify for? :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  6. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    How exactly is that question related to this thread? Surely you aren't denigrating Las Vegas Homes' content.

Annie and I are trying to be helpful here. You're just being repetitive and obstructive.

jimnoble, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  7. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I ask this question to get an understanding of your comments Jim. Dmoz offers several categories for Real estate, how does a site that deals with Las Vegas real estate issues help a prospective Dmoz user for information they are looking for in Florida?

I am trying not to be combative, but I dont understand how only allowing one site by the same owner for the same industry located in different parts of the country benefits users of Dmoz or helps a webmaster trying to manipulate your system for specific information.

I am not trying to break the rules but I have a hard time understanding how this is meant to manipulate your directory. I am the owner of several websites pertaining to real estate, the content I offer users in Flroida differs from the content I offer for Las Vegas. I guess I dont understand the logic.

Just to offer more information. Advanced Access owns several domain names for real estate, but yet they have numberous sites listed. The agents dont always own the url for which Advanced Access offers service, but yet they are all real estate related. The same can also be said for the point2agent sites.

With what you are telling me I must choose one single site. If that is the case I would of course choose Las Vegas mygorealty.net.

I guess this is where the confusion arises with submissions on my part or that of my staff. I do not see any relation to Las Vegas, Atlanta or Florida as it pertains to real estate in those cities and states and how those urls are related. I can understand if I had 2 sites about Las Vegas submitting those to be included.

I just want to clear the air, I do not want to violate Dmoz guidelines. I have received numberous reps from what I believe to be Dmoz editors calling me a spammer. I have never intended to spam Dmoz. As I have stated many times, I have not submitted more than those two sites to Dmoz. If there has been multiple submissions, they did not come from me or anyone of my webmasters. The only logical conclusion I can come to if they were is that a competitor could have or an ex webmaster I fired.

If you dont mind just let me know what needs to be done for the inclusion of mygorealty.net which is a Las Vegas site. As for the other Florida site I would not request it to be included if it violates Dmoz guidelines. My other sites

las-vegas-homefinder.com - Vegas - outdated and soon be be given to a team agent.

atlanta-real-estate-homefinder.com - Atanta- for lease or sale

wayneandfriends.com- Vegas- Soon to be turned into a blog

wesellsevenhillshomes.com - Vegas - community specific site

mygorealty.com - Main Florida site

Treasureislandhomes.com- Florida-Soon to be merged with the main Florida site

clearwaterhomesguide.com- Florida-Soon to be merged with the main Florida site

tampahomesstore.com - Florida - Soon to be merged with the main Florida site

I would not request an inclusion into Dmoz with. Can you also please tell me which of these sites have ever been requested for inclusion and when they were. I believe this might disclose some valuable information for Dmoz editors. As stated only two of those sites have ever been submitted by my staff/webmasters. The Atlanta site and the Las Vegas Homefinder site.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    gworld likes this.
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I understand Annie but how were you trying to help him by giving DMOZ canned response and accuse him of being a spammer? If anything, the poor guy is bending over to satisfy all DMOZ requirements and you are just posting a bunch of BS in response. :rolleyes:

I don't remember you ever helping anyone, do you?

gworld, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  9. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    If explaining the system to somebody who didn't understand it is a canned response, so be it. That doesn't make it bad though.
    You must be confusing me with somebody else.
    Yes, but it won't happen any more here.

@Las Vegas Homes:
    I can't help you further because gworld has decided to derail any attempt at constructive dialogue.

jimnoble, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Where DMOZ gone so wrong that somebody like you could become a meta? :rolleyes:

If we forget that your answer was total BS, what has my post got anything to do with this guy? Your answer is just too stupid even for you. So your excuse is that you can't help him because of what I posted, not that you were any help before. :rolleyes:

If you need some excuse to justify DMOZ corruption and incompetence, don't try to use me as excuse, your editor name is good enough as a symbol of everything which is wrong with DMOZ. ;)

It is sad that DMOZ editors had a chance to show they care about DMOZ reputation and try to help this guy as Annie was trying to do in her post but then you had to post and prove that we can not expect too much of DMOZ when they have people like you as meta. I wonder what other editors think, are you going to help this guy or just blindly follow the stupid path the jim "noble" :rolleyes: has chosen for you?

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  11. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Jim what does your conflict with other members here have to do with helping me? To this point I thought that maybe with some help from compostannie and yourself, some progress was being made, that might shed some light on submission spamming and clear up these accusations. I believe our dialogue has been nothing but professional and enlighting.

I would appreciate your help and that of compostannie. I feel my inclusion in Dmoz would be of benefit to your users and help some Dmoz editors shed some light on how maybe a competitor could get a site tagged for spamming Dmoz. I hope to be able to look forward to your continued help.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  12. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Jim on this.

LVH asked for help and information - why not let *him* be the judge of the response he gets, gworld?? Why do you have to derail the thread with your nonsense? If LVH decides that the answers he gets are worthless, then so be it, but at least let him have the opportunity to get the help he asked for.

Because it's f***** irritating to be discussing something with someone and a 3rd party is standing behind you screaming nonsense at the top of his lungs. Why even bother?

sidjf, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So what is your point, are you going to help him to figure this out or are you too scared of what you might discover? :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    sidjf's point, as well as jimnoble's and mine for that matter, is that no one owes it to anyone to volunteer to help. If Jim doesn't help here, he will help somewhere else. Why would anyone in their right mind want to come to a forum and have to put up with personal attacks and abuse just because they try to be helpful?

Jim Noble is a good man, of the highest integrity. I personally can't understand what your problem with him could be. I suspect it's because he's active at the resource zone forums, but he's one of the nicest, most helpful editors there. I think you must be confusing him with someone else.

In all honesty, I don't know enough about Real Estate to help LVH get this sorted out on my own. I'm willing to try now that I understand his problem and how it got to this point and so is Jim. But, Jim is not willing to be abused while trying to help. So, where does that leave us gworld? :mad:

compostannie, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In what way Jim "noble" tried to help him, except accusing him of being a spammer? It is interesting that you as volunteer in organization feel no need to find out what is wrong with your organization and why there are such problems. May be the problem is that he is a Realtor and not a pedophile, otherwise Metas would go out of their way to help him. :rolleyes:

If you don't know about real estate then why don't you ask other editors who do? Why Jim as Meta doesn't care about DMOZ reputation and it's image of corruption and incompetence? can it be that he knows the truth and doesn't want to expose it more than what it already is? ;)

I think this leaves us at the same situation as always with DMOZ editors, either editors stand up and take stand and try to fix what is wrong or they crawl in front of DMOZ corrupt and incompetent in order to protect their editorship and listings. :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  16. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:

DMOZ editors trying to explain and the troll with his self proclaimed truth just refusing to listen.

pagode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I hope becoming a meta is worth all the crawling that you have to do. ;)

Thanks to all the editors for their red rep. but it will be best to sign it, so I can mention your name to jim "noble", it will probably help with your advancement in DMOZ. :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Go back and read what Jim Noble wrote, he did not accuse LVH of being a spammer.

You know this isn't true.

He live's on a different continent, he is not in competition with LVH.

Because I'm only one person with one head that only contains one measly brain. There is a limit to what I can only do. Real Estate doesn't interest me so why should I spend days on this when Jim is willing and able to work on it? Together we could do it in much less time.

Or there's reality. DMOZ editors did stand up ready to fix what was wrong, if something was wrong. (We didn't quite get that far before we were interrupted, did we?) Unfortunately, before DMOZ editors were even able to sort out the facts with LVH, you came in hurling insults and abuse. It's demoralizing. And wrong. You owe LVH and Jim Noble an apology, in my opinion. :(

Also, in my opinion, I don't think you'll apologize or back down here so this thread is going nowhere and the fault does not lie with individual DMOZ editors. You don't have the right to abuse us without reason, and you surely can't expect us to go out of our way to help while we're being abused.

You can't bully someone into respecting you.

Also, if you'll go back and read the opening post, you'll see that LVH's original question has been answered by both me and Jim Noble. We both said the same thing but in different ways, so why do you think my answer was good but Jim's is bad? What you've derailed is the willingness of a couple of individuals to go beyond the duties of being a DMOZ editor; we offered help to fix this. LVH merely asked for help understanding, not help in fixing it.

compostannie, Feb 26, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  19. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    It's obvious what gworld is doing here.

If people see ODP editors reaching out and trying to help people it makes all of gworld's claims (editors are abusers, corrupt, pedophiles, just interested in their own sites, etc) look even more silly than they already do.

His only hope is to completely derail the thread before anything good can come from it.

I'm sorry you're probably not going to get the information you're looking for LVH, but you have gworld to thank for it.

sidjf, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Prove me wrong. Show you are a man and have the guts to stand for something. Find out what is the problem and help the guy to fix it.

By the way- Thanks Annie for signed red rep- Jim "noble" please give Annie some extra points in next DMOZ promotion discussion.

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP