1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vista Performance Tips

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by professionalseo, Feb 2, 2008.

Hi all. I just bought a new notebook and it has Vista pre loaded on it. I see threads ad nauseum about XP vs. Vista or how Vista sucks but I dont really see any threads about how to actually fix any of Vista's problems. I have had it a few days now and the graphics are way better but I think we can all agree it's bloatware however the question is what to do about it.

Please refrain from saying just to rip it out and go back to XP as I dont want to do that. I am looking for simple tips and tricks and suggestions as to aspects of Vista that I could disable or remove altogether that would improve performance if anyone has any suggestions. Please keep in mind I am not an uber computer geek so please keep suggestions simple or give detailed instructions on how to accomplish your advice. Thanks very much.

professionalseo, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  2. gerwinjz76

gerwinjz76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably you have to increase your RAM... :D

gerwinjz76, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  3. erolelcott

erolelcott Peon

Best Answers:
    just increase your ram & also add a good graphics card...
    you`ll see a significant improvement in performance!!

erolelcott, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  4. web23

web23 Member

Best Answers:
    If your laptop doesn't have any extra RAM memory slots or you don't want to open it up, an easier way of increasing the amount of memory is to use ReadyBoost which uses flash memory from a USB stick or memory card to speed up your PC. You need ReadyBoost compatible memory for it to work, you can find a list of compatible memory here:
    http://www.readyboostmemory.com/

Readyboost isn't as good as real RAM but if you have less than 2gb of RAM you should notice quite a difference.

web23, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  5. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So is readyboost free or do they force you to buy a memory stick/card?

scylla, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  6. selven

selven Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use almost any memory stick, just plug it in and press readyboost from the pop up

selven, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  7. schlogo

schlogo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello

I ve boosted u my vista by disabling aero, system recovery, theme services and some other stuffs, I got 200mo of ram back. I ve bought some more memory up to 2gb

Now it has been some months, it s a pain in the a.. I own a centrino duo that behaves like a turtle. Just bought a xp licence :D

schlogo, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  8. professionalseo

professionalseo Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I have read about using ReadyBoost and been considering getting a flash drive but from what I have heard the biggest benefit is for computers with under 2MB of memory. Mine has 2MB of memory. I wish I had known Vista would need so much memory since I just got this computer. It would have been a lot easier to just add some more memory, but now I dont want to open it up as it's a laptop.

Are there any other things that I could do wihout? I dont want to disable system restore and Aero is the 1 thing I like about Vista.

professionalseo, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  9. ds316

ds316 Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista's (and XP's for that matter) CPU scheduling isn't really geared towards responsiveness (I believe that it shoudl really, it's a desktop OS) so I wrote a program in x86 assembly to significantly boost responsiveness, and in some cases boost performance in gaming, etc. (by maybe 1-3 fps, nothing that significant - boosting responsiveness is it's main feature, other boosts are just side effects).

To run this program, download from the link below and follow the instructions:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2TA8FBQL

For ease of use just turn off UAC as it interferes with it's performance and autostart installation. You can turn it back on after installation if you wish, but you must right click sparky8.exe, click properties, and select 'Run as Administrator' - you'll just have to allow it to run every time on startup.

The reason for it requiring administrator rights is that it boosts it's own priority in windows to Realtime, a priority level that if abused can pretty well lock up a system by hogging all the CPU and causing not even the mouse to move. You'll be pleased to know that sparky8 does no such thing.

ds316, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  10. Punski#2

Punski#2 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a pretty good website to learn windows XP/vista tips that can help you make the performance of your computer BETTER www.ctalk.co.cc

Punski#2, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  11. NsaneNoob

NsaneNoob Peon

Best Answers:
    Get more Ram, don't add too many widgets in sidebar.

NsaneNoob, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  12. adams95ta

adams95ta Active Member

Best Answers:
    adams95ta, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  13. professionalseo

professionalseo Banned

Best Answers:
    ok thanks guys I will check those out.

professionalseo, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  14. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Change the theme back to something simple or google windowblinds if you just want to change the look.

D_C, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  15. Harpreetrock

Harpreetrock Banned

Best Answers:
    Ok...you can first increase the ram. recommended more than 1GB or 2Gb that will help u a lot..or else you can disable the programs from the startup using "msconfig" (without a quotes) in a Run command and then removing unwanted programs from the startup tab..this will really help you to boot your computer fast......now change all your setting to classic (from Desktop or display setting) this will also increase your performance...........
    Try and Check .....:)

Harpreetrock, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  16. botaksetan

botaksetan Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista consuming so many resources (and i think it just want to show that they can only follow how fun Mac OS look like :p). I would suggest you to downgrade it to Windows XP or even Linux :)

BR,

Adi

botaksetan, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  17. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can call it a 'downgrade'.

D_C, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  18. Julius

Julius Guest

Best Answers:
    Is the program open source?
    Is it certified by some credible companies?
    How do we know it's not spyware?

Julius, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  19. Chuchuzoo

Chuchuzoo Banned

Best Answers:
    Increasing your Ram is important for vista stability.

Chuchuzoo, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  20. ds316

ds316 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not open source, and it's not certified. You can run it with UAC on if you wish to run it without admin rights, you just won't be able to get the maximum benefit from it. Scan it with whatever you like though, it contains no malicious code whatsoever.

ds316, Feb 22, 2008 IP