1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Gangs of Muslims Riot for Sixth Night in the 2008 Cartoon Riots

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by bogart, Feb 16, 2008.

1. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey come on now, Bogart, we're not talking about something as frivolous as hundreds of thousands of humans lives! We're discussing something serious: a cartoon illustration printed in a newspaper.

davewashere, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  2. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I understand the reason why you're angry. t is a non-issue, and there are bigger problems which get sidelined, like the genocide in Darfur. But there is no reason to associate it with Islam. People being killed there are Muslims as well. But you know, these things happen in Africa all the time. That has nothing to do with religion. I agree something should be done to stop this brutal conflict.

And regarding the cartoons, you'd not understand. You're too civilized to understand things like emotions. Unfortunately, burning cars and rioting is not the right thing to do. Western countries provide other means for recourse to grievances.

Muslims in those countries should live peacefully, and integrate with the society.

gauharjk, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  3. ::TECHMAN::

::TECHMAN:: Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting thread, but all I see is two "groups" clashing.

Group one is trying to "show" everyone that Islam is a cruel religion and that all Muslims are terror-mongers... as if Christianity or Hinduism or even atheism never inspired violence :rolleyes:. Group two is subtly trying to justify all these vicious acts of terror and destruction by playing the "respect other religions" card.

Here's how I see it:
    1) Danish newspaper publishes a cartoon, which, although unnecessary, it has every right to do so.
    2) Deranged Muslims protest and destroy things.
    3) Protests go unrestrained, which is regrettable.
    4) Islam didn't inspire the protests; Islamic extremists did.
    4) Danish newspaper has created a snowball effect, ultimately giving the entire Muslim world a bad name.

The ideal solution would be to nip the protests in the bud first, and then stop blaming "Islam" for every display of pyrotechnics. It is a religion of over a billion people. Whether you can swallow it or not, real Muslims are among the happiest and most respectful people in the world, so cut them some slack.

Then, stop pouncing on the Danish newspaper because if they want to publish a cartoon, they will. If I want to publish a cartoon depicting Muhammad, I will; you have no say in the matter.

Cheers

::TECHMAN::, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I would say you summarized it very well, except that it is not a crash, we are all too civilized for crashes :), it is an exchange of opinions.

wisdomtool, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  5. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can never understand why people would riot and kill because their religious leader was made fun of or a cartoon was drawn. Jesus jokes are all over the place. I never saw anyone cause a riot over it???? and if they did i would expect all churches to condemn it heavily.

pingpong123, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  6. ::TECHMAN::

Best Answers:
    Good one ;)

::TECHMAN::, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  7. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    What needs to be done is the top religious imams need to condemn this, and stop all rioters from going to the mosques.This will put a stop to senseless rioting like this once and for all.

8. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    Agreed, emotions are ok though but rioting like this could lead to deaths.
    Agreed on darfur also. Unfortunately the people that dont make it an issue need to go there and live in these places like darfur to understand mass genocides. But i still feel the Imams should kick these rioters out of mosques to let them understand this will give them a bad image and not to let it happen again.

9. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    I would be upset if someone whom I respect and worship was insulted. But not to the extent of burning and rioting. Doing so basically undermine what the religion is teaching and add further insults to their religious leaders.

wisdomtool, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  10. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just to see the differenes of reactions

This week a leading retailer in Singapore has withdrawn a cosmetics range with a Jesus theme after complaints from local Roman Catholics. The range, branded "Looking Good for Jesus", was on sale at three Top Shop outlets in the city state. Catholics complained the cosmetics' marketing was disrespectful, full of sexual innuendo and trivialized Christianity.

The products included a "Virtuous vanilla" lip balm and a "Get Tight with Christ" hand and body cream, featuring a picture of Christ flanked by two adoring women.

http://westminsterjournal.com/content/view/107/1/

Arnie, Feb 21, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  11. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Nice article just that they should not use an armed crusader on top of the article :)

wisdomtool, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  12. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    GUESS THE PIC SERVES MORE AS A CARTOON CHARACTER ;)

Arnie, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  13. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I only wanted to convey the importance of the religion, and the prophet to Muslims. It is not just faith, or love, it is a way of life. It is an extremely inseparable part of life. We pray 5 times a day at day-break, at noon, in the evening, at sunset, and after sunset. Make that 35 times a week, from morning till night. And that is why sensitivities run high.

I don't want to defend what is happening because the riots seem unreasonable. But there were other riots in that part of the world too, and Muslims were not a part of those.

Dutch Anti-immigration Riots
    http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2007/03/15/dutch-anti-immigration-riots/
    But the OP just has an agenda to demonize Muslims and Islam. It has become a norm. The conflict arises when the two completely different cultures try to mix together, and you find both the cultures are complete opposites.

gauharjk, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  14. ::TECHMAN::

Best Answers:
    Right.

I have plenty of Muslim friends that are pro-peace. Even if you want to assume that only a minority of the Muslim world accounts as "peaceful people," that still means Islam can be and is followed in a more civilized way. According to one of my dear friends in Pakistan (who happens to be well-versed in Quranic literature), most Muslims are terribly misled by Imams and other Islamic leaders, and have no idea of what their prophet actually tried to teach.

The Quran, as with the Bible, condones violence against "non-believers," homos and such in many places, but civilization has evolved and so have our perceptions of life and law. Christian (or at least largely Christian) nations have grown to take the Bible less literally as far as laws go. Unfortunately, Middle Eastern countries still have to be ostriches with their heads in the ground; they can't seem to step out of the mold and adopt better ways of living.

So, my personal conclusion is this: Islam isn't an inherently cruel religion; it's very aggressive in its methodology, yes, but it definitely deserves a lot more credit as a faith than we're usually willing to give it. But, the fact remains that most Muslims (statistically, at least) seem to have skewed perceptions about their own religion. The ideal solution here would be to enlighten people about what Islam really is.

Cheers

P.S: All this is making my head ring. If you're going to relinquish religion altogether, welcome to the club ;)

::TECHMAN::, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  15. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    ^
    Prophet Mohammad

I win.

PHPGator, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  16. Rub3X

Rub3X Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I missed the part in the article where they burned cars for weeks straight. Either way there's definitely more important things to complain about then that, that's for sure. Just more cry babies.

Rub3X, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  17. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's another cartoon. I hope there's no more riots

[​IMG]

bogart, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  18. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:

Off with this infidels head!

:D

Toopac, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  19. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Can't see the cartoon, or did you self censored :)

wisdomtool, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  20. pingpong123

Best Answers:

I agree with u on that, plus i agree with techman on his statement also. I have many muslim friends just as i have many jewish friends and hindu, and buddhist friends. I have seen nothing but the best of intentions from all of them, but i agree with u on the point there are people that seem very overtly prejudiced against islam too.

pingpong123, Feb 21, 2008 IP